Can Equalizer APO function as a crossover?

Doing some more digging it looks like there might be issues with routing the front L+R signals to the other surround channel outputs.

Ok, got it to work APO Equalizer is a really great program, routing of channels is simple:

Channel: 3 4
Preamp: 20 dB
Equaliser: Generic
Filter 1: ON LP Fc 100 Hz
Filter 2: ON LP Fc 100 Hz

Channel: 5 6
Preamp: 0 dB
Equaliser: Generic
Filter 1: ON HP Fc 100 Hz
Filter 2: ON HP Fc 100 Hz

In the first line I get the stereo L R signal distributed to all eight channels 1 -8 of my soundcard

In the following two sections I make a low pass and high pass, I use the Butterworth filter twice to get steeper slope (will see how to implement a Linkwitz Riley filter in the future)

And there it is: a fully digital active crossover, working for all windows programs, the room correction can also be built in by adding filters ...
Hip hip Hurray for APO Equalizer and its programmers :)

Just wanted to add that you can use rePhase to generate any kind of filter you want (and with linear phase if you can handle some delay). You can also add linear-phase EQ. Then just use the E-APO convolver to specify the impulse response files.

I'll try to remember to post my final config back here, or in a new thread.

Show your work

Hello
Could someone please post pics of how they done this in windows 10
One thing that worries me is this, how can I make sure that the changes stay Active in all of the audio programs in any other program that I run? I don’t want to switch to an audio program then to YouTube and then lose all the cross server settings that I developed for the sound card to run my Adcom 6000 amp and then blowing a set a $400 tweeters in my DIY Towers

...lose all the cross server settings that I developed for the sound card to run my Adcom 6000 amp and then blowing a set a $400 tweeters in my DIY Towers
You can add a simple passive highpass filter (just a cap) for the tweeters, at a lower frequency than your active filter. Then modify the active filter to take the effect of the cap into account. Fuses are another possible solution, that require no modification of your filter (that's what I use, and for that reason).

Then there is a much larger chance that the tweeters survive if you really mess things up.

Another point, when I was using EqualizerAPO for crossover, I had the woofers on the left and right channels. The tweeters were on the surround channels. The idea was that if I somehow lost all the configuration, most likely I would just get a full range signal in the woofers. But in the end that was never needed.

Hello
Could someone please post pics of how they done this in windows 10
One thing that worries me is this, how can I make sure that the changes stay Active in all of the audio programs in any other program that I run? I don’t want to switch to an audio program then to YouTube and then lose all the cross server settings that I developed for the sound card to run my Adcom 6000 amp and then blowing a set a $400 tweeters in my DIY Towers

EqualizerAPO support channel is here. Search crossover related posts there... .

Hello carlthess40,
I use EqAPO as crossover since 2-3 years, windows 7 and 10. First I used a USB sound card and now I use a PCI sound card.
It never switched to other soundcard, so no issues with that.
I have the config saved to google drive in case the PC crashes and that is all.

Here is the start of the config file, for bass only, as an example. As you can see, now I use a impulse response as filter, but you can also use IIR filters that EqAPO has inside(the commented lines #Filter).
The first line is to duplicate Left and Right on all 8 sound card channels. I noticed that each card will have a slightly different setting, but you test until you figure what channel is what output. I use a left right video on youtube and edit config on the fly.

Copy: L=R R=L C=L SUB=R RL=L RR=R SL=L SR=R

#Right bass
Channel: L
Delay: 0.7 ms
#Filter: ON PK Fc 60Hz Gain -8 dB Q 5
#Filter: ON PK Fc 90Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2.5
#Sealed 12 Convolution: noeq_300_48_FIR_1500T_BH.wav
Convolution: ob_270_48_FIR_15000T_BH.wav
#Filter: ON LP Fc 90 Hz
#Preamp: -100 dB

#Left bass
Channel: R
Delay: 0 ms
#Filter: ON PK Fc 60Hz Gain -5 dB Q 5
#Filter: ON PK Fc 90Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2.5
#Sealed 12 Convolution: noeq_300_48_FIR_1500T_BH.wav
Convolution: ob_270_48_FIR_15000T_BH.wav
#Filter: ON LP Fc 90 Hz
#Preamp: -100 dB

...then the files goes on with 2 mid and 2 high channels settings..

In EQApo executable (editor.exe in install folder) I just enter if I ever change the output soundcard, from that dropdown menu.
Capture — ImgBB

And in Sound settings in Windows I use the same soundcard as default sound card.

Almost all apps will route the sound to EqAPO and the selected soundcard.
I found that MPC-HC media player will not route sound OK but I use kody player for movies and it is OK with that one. Also no problems with Chrome, Firefox, Tidal, Spotify.

As I understand,
Copy: L=R R=L C=L SUB=R RL=L RR=R SL=L SR=R
means each of soundcard outputs (left side of = sign) is copied from the 2 channel stereo input of windows audio.
and what is the name and to which audio jack and side it refers, you have to test for your card..

Hmm... L=R R=L ... ?

You get all info regarding Copy command and more from EqualizerAPO support documentation at
Equalizer APO / Documentation Wiki / Configuration reference

We have an original 2 channel signal with L-original and R-original. From L-original you copy to the Centre channel on your soundcard (and subsequently process that channel) and for R-original to Sub (idem) etc. etc.: that part of your script is all clear.
But what then is the Copy: L=R function?