USB DAC on Android 4.0 phone/tablet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oldish. The problem with my tablet is that it has to be rooted to enable USB OTG, and then it allegedly doesn't supply power to the outboard device, so you need to work around that. Not such a bad thing for audio, since I could presumably use a linear regulator to make a quiet 5 volts.

Checkout USB Audio Player Pro.

They use their own USB driver and are passing the Android mixer
by.

I do have it. And I think it sounds better then any other app I tried (Neutron/Poweramp etc.).

Certain mobile devices have the UAC2 compatible standard Android/Linux USB driver enabled by default. Your compliant USB DAC will be recognized without having USB audio player pro up.

However. If you don't pass the Android mixer by your data will mangled, resampled... A base Android is not known for doing this very well.

There are annoucements that special care has been taken about all this on Android L. The USB driver supposedly will be enabeld by default.

Good luck.

I have used both products, usb recorder pro and usb audio player. Both work with the 2 budget dac's I have and support 24/96. The problem I encounter currently with both products is that neither will stream from my NFS music server. The audio files must be on the android device. I have contacted the developer and "network playback is a feature they will implement in the future".

I just figured that current USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) has a networking feature implemented. I havn't tried it myself.
If you have a Samba/Cifs share in the network it might work.

Perhaps you could also mount a network share via ES File explorer. That mount works for sure. I have it up'n running on a non-rooted LG G2.
Not sure though if you can access the mountpoint from UAPP.

Cheers

Joined 2002
Paid Member
USB audio Player did not work correctly for me. Tried Benchmark DAC2, which does not use USB power and Audioquest Dragonfly which does. Devices used were LG Optimus G Pro and a cheap Chinese tablet, former runs Kitkat and other uses JB. The LG does not recognise either device but does stop playing its internal speaker. The Chinese tablet sees the DAC and plays sound through it but in summed mono mode.

I asked for a refund. Will wait a few months to see how that develops.

I just figured that current USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) has a networking feature implemented. I havn't tried it myself.
If you have a Samba/Cifs share in the network it might work.

Perhaps you could also mount a network share via ES File explorer. That mount works for sure. I have it up'n running on a non-rooted LG G2.
Not sure though if you can access the mountpoint from UAPP.

Cheers

Quickly tried USB Audio Player Pro on my crappy Alcatel One Touch M,pop 5020T and it didn't seem to work but I'm not sure if I installed it correctly and used it correctly ...

Any one know a good 'how to' for these programs? :eek:

Some issues seem to be:

May need a newer version of android (4?)

A proper cable (recognize 'full connection' or something)

USB power, trying going through a powered USB splitter.

Would love to get this working somehow ....

Cheers,
Jeff

* You definitely can forget a buspowered DAC. A hub in-between is always
worth a try.
* An up2date Android 4.3 or 4.4 is highly recommended
* The situation differs from manufacturer to manufacturer
* Standard USB cable will do
* Some DACs are not 100% UAC2 compatible. They need certain firmware
loaded (e.g. EMU 0404) or some quirks in the driver (e.g. NAD M51)

I'll write some lines if I manage to get the network mounts going on my G2.

Meanwhile you can push the UAPP folks to develop an UPNP plugin. ;)

Cheers

I'm using this app on my Galaxy 4 with excellent results.

It saw and connected to the DIYINHK USB card in my headphone amp first time and it sounds very good.

I also use the app in preference to the supplied music player apps if I'm using headphones plugged into the phone as, to my ears, it sounds better.

I've played 24bit 192KHz FLAC files without it missing a beat.

The USB Audio Player Pro website has lots of information about compatible devices and I recommend checking it out first, rather than just installing and hoping.

Some people complain about the interface but to me it is fine, just does what you need it to do.

A UPnP renderer function would be a great addition.

Ray

I'm in the market for a tablet that I'd like to use to stream from my Twonky/DLNA NAS out to a USB DAC (a USB to SPDIF converter to my SPDIF DAC, but same thing).

Apparently, Slick UPnP (free) used as a DLNA player
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cajor.dk.dlna&hl=en

and will let you choose USB Audio Player pro as a renderer

Anyone wanna give this a shot and report back if it works?

Picked up a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition.

- USB Audio Player Pro works perfectly to my external DAC.

- Slick UPnP works perfectly accessing my WD Live DLNA (Twonky) shared media files.

Unfortunately, Slick UPnP doesn't select USB Audio Player as an option when going to play a networked file, so the integration doesn't work. It does go to select bubbleUPnP, but that can't output to USB

Recent versions of USB Audio Player supports network shares, but they seem to have to be samba. It won't connect to my WD Live twonky server

The search for a solution continues

After hours of searching and some help on head fi, looks like there's no player that will stream dlna and output to a USB dac bit perfect, for android.

I was able to get both bubbleupnp and the WD Cloud apps to stream from my wd my cloud server flac, mp3s and wav etc no problem into two different usb dacs (HRT ustreamer and the cheap Syba usb spdif converter: http://www.amazon.ca/Syba-Digital-Optical-Output-SD-AUD20101/dp/B006SF68P2), but output was always 48kHz sampling, as it was going through the android audio infrastructure.

USB Audio Player Pro supports network streaming but with samba shares only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.