NAS as musicserver with IPad control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has any one here explored the potential of using a synology or Qnap NAS as a music server with a direct USB digital out to a USB DAC..??

The idea is to have the music stored at the NAS and then direct it via USB out from the NAS to a DAC in the music system, and thus avoid the music data on the Wifi

For controlling the NAS/music library I intend to use an Ipad APP, anyone here that has tried that and can give any directions where to find good working and easy to use music-players for IOS and Android

What about the different music formats, will the USB DAC be able to process them..??

Joined 2002
Paid Member
This would require your NAS to be able to work as an audio class host. I don't think there are any products like there just yet.

Even the media player type of storage units do not recognise audio devices, only storage devices.

If you are handy with programming, you could probably write your own code if the interface chips on the host are compatible with all types of USB peripherals.

Spotify is for "spotting" good music. I typically go for modern pop/rock/indie and I must admit that that I can't here the difference of FLAC compared to 320 kpbs from spotify.

Anyway If I like it I buy the CD or download (if WAV og flac is possible), and put it on the NAS and play via win7-->foobar--> spdif out--> MiniDSP.

Sorry - I'm getting of topic - back on track again :)

I will see where you end, it might be interesting.

I got my Synology NAS running, I use the USB speaker output direct to MY USB DAC, this works flawlessly. I RIP my CD's to in NAS in WAV format and place then uncompressed on the NAS. I have also tried FLAC, but I do get the best sonic result with WAV. I use my Windows computer to rip the Files to the NAS.

For IPaD play control i use the DS-player. its really easy to navigate and make playlists.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.