Please critique my active system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to establish a reference system for building speakers, and trying to figure out where best to improve my active system.

MacBook - Optical out - DigiFP & MiniDSP 2x8 & Vol FP - Rotel RMB 1048

So currently all 8 channels are actively XO'd, which gives me great scope to do A-B switching, and testing out up to 4 way speakers.

I have a few distinct current approaches:

True full range (using Mark Audio)

F.A.S.T with full range assisted by a woofer

Front horns, up to 3 way.

Currently all speaker cables are Cat6, and phono's are a mix of low end QED and some real cheap freebies.

I figure the source is pretty good, (solid state, battery power, can use AdniNirvana to avoid OSX's meddling). But perhaps USB instead of mini-toslink?

All cables could be improved upon...

MiniDSP, I would love to compare to the Hypex DLCP

Amps, while 8 channels is nice, not entirely needed, curious if improving these (perhaps a single pair of nCores) would yield good results?

If you were me, where would you start?

Let me get this straight: You're using network cable as speaker wire? Who came up with this nonsense? What about plain ol' reasonable-gauge twin lead? (0.75 mm² to 4 mm², depending on length - whatever does not degrade amplifier damping factor significantly.) The leads in network cable are pretty thin, not much cross-section there. I bet even lamp cord would have a lot less resistance.

Given the galvanic isolation afforded by Toslink, it does not matter whether the computer is mains- or battery-powered.

I hope you have optimized your gain structure for low noise.

Lots of people do, they are solid copper and have to be made to a high spec to carry information.

Mine are single cables, with 4 coloured wires for + and 4 whites for -

I haven't messed around with any gain settings, with my ear next to the compression driver, and everything turned up, there is almost no hum or hiss.

Source: Yes this has to be where to start, Unless I pick up an old very good CD player/transport, the MacBook offers the convenience of being able to play any file, spits out digital (perhaps using usb& spdif is preferable to the clocked toslink?) is small quite and has a screen.

I have some Hi-Res files, some ripped CD's in iTunes, and Spotify for listening to new music.

The DAC's on the miniDSP board, I believe are quite good, but the whole board is $300, so how good can they really be. Adding DACS afterwards would be great, but at 8 channels gets complicated and expensive quick!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.