Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

I think I resolved that scheduling problem so I updated my script.

I like Arch Linux for sure in terms of sound. Usually I roll my own Arch Linux but Archphile gives me a good base. I really don't want to come out with an Archphile - 2.0.

In addition to making scripts to update the audio performance I am thinking about making a front end for set up. Download it and just go click by click to enable what you want then reboot.

I've ran the scripts Dynobot and I like what I am hearing. Scripts were easy as pi to run. pi came back up no problem

After it came back up I disabled power management on the wlan and set country code to AU, but pi came back no problem even with incorrect but original country code, but I corrected it just the same.

Just some early feedback, and will report back later on, after spending time listening to this.

I've ran the scripts Dynobot and I like what I am hearing. Scripts were easy as pi to run. pi came back up no problem

After it came back up I disabled power management on the wlan and set country code to AU, but pi came back no problem even with incorrect but original country code, but I corrected it just the same.

Just some early feedback, and will report back later on, after spending time listening to this.

Hi Jose

Thanks for trying it out....I'm still making small adjustments here and there, so check back every once in awhile.

Also imo the cpu affinity is not needed, so in my set up I manually go into the archphile-optimize file and comment out that part.

Enjoy :)

After a few days listening, I can report that:
  1. archphile + dynobot script has been stable.
  2. thread latency script all active and no problems.
  3. have been to-ing and fro-ing with regards to core affinity and over the last few days in my system, to my ears, and just right at this moment, I think my preference is with core affinity disabled.
  4. haven't bothered to test standard archphile vs Archphile + Dynobot. I am simply enjoying the music.
Thank you Tuxx (Mike) and thank you Dynobot! I love the archphile manual and how easy this has been to work with.

HDD attached directly to archphile player or via archphile server?

I do have a question set within the archphile context.

I have a 2TB HDD attached to one of the USB ports that the archphile system is on, and playing this with mpd via MALP client on my android phone. I have a HAT on this RPi3B+ and am using it as an AES/EBU transport.

I haven't tried it yet, but would anyone be able to share their experience or preference for accessing music files via another pi with archphile used purely as a music server? My objective is to improve SQ and nothing else.

I have a pi2 lying around that I can deploy for that purpose. I would be using wireless in both instances.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

After a few days listening, I can report that:
  1. archphile + dynobot script has been stable.
  2. thread latency script all active and no problems.
  3. have been to-ing and fro-ing with regards to core affinity and over the last few days in my system, to my ears, and just right at this moment, I think my preference is with core affinity disabled.
  4. haven't bothered to test standard archphile vs Archphile + Dynobot. I am simply enjoying the music.
Thank you Tuxx (Mike) and thank you Dynobot! I love the archphile manual and how easy this has been to work with.

Thanks for the update Jose !!

If anyone tries these I need feedback.

My ears are biased to my gear and my music, your feedback helps me to not only make these things work across multiple platforms but also to different musical tastes and ears.

More importantly it helps me resolve those odd errors.

pi4 configured with static ip and wired network.
After installing your script network connection lost.
Tried with dhcp, same result.

pi4 configured with static ip and wired network.
After installing your script network connection lost.
Tried with dhcp, same result.

Hi Starbender

Thank you for your feedback.

Can I ask what player are you using....ie MPD or Squeezelite, Roon etc.?

I do have a RPi4 on hand as well and will try to reproduce.

BTW, it is recommended that the script be installed 'first' then other parameters created/adjusted to your personal tastes...ie player, network etc.

Hi Dynobot,

I'm using mpd as default player.

I tried several different scenarious, one of them was installing script after boot up for the first time.
If I continue with default archphile installation there is no problem with network connection.

Thanks for your effort btw!

Last edited:
Hi Dynobot,

I'm using mpd as default player.

I tried several different scenarious, one of them was installing script after boot up for the first time.
If I continue with default archphile installation there is no problem with network connection.

Thanks for your effort btw!

Are you okay with using nano and editing files?

If so, I'd like for you to comment out the reboot part in the basic-install.sh script.

change it to this
#reboot

Then run the script as normal....this will allow you to edit one more file before it reboots.

After you run the script go to the archphile-optimize file and add this line at the bottom.

sleep 15
systemctl restart mpd

close nano and reboot.

I appreciate you helping me root-cause this, I have a hunch it has something to do with the timing of services being started. I use squeezelite and I had that issue with one my Rpi's.

I got a similar connectivity issue with rp4 when regooting...you needed to hard power on and off four times to get back a connection...this was just to cumbers for me...I parked archphile for that reason for the moment...need to see what happens when i use it with the allo usbridge, which has different ethernet setup...

I got a similar connectivity issue with rp4 when regooting...you needed to hard power on and off four times to get back a connection...this was just to cumbers for me...I parked archphile for that reason for the moment...need to see what happens when i use it with the allo usbridge, which has different ethernet setup...

It happened to me as well, but me restarting sqeezelite seems to have fixed it ....for some reason.

The network file is archphile-network....my script does nothing with this file. However there are network 'bits' in the archphile-optimize file as well...eg the country code info. I don't know why network information is spread across different files.

Don't know if things worked out for starbender and blitz, but I take it that the silence means it either worked or they gave up.

Either way, I tested out another OS/Player last weekend...which seems to be all the buzz on the Audiophile Style forum.....Gentoo Player. I like the GUI, I like all the options although some are confusing and there are no definitions to the various sound profiles. Some things work, others don't but great effort. Sound wise I think Archphile is head and shoulders above Gentoo player imo. I was able to apply some tweaks to Gentoo player but some I could not...as it seems some variables are locked down. At the end of the day, it was an interesting test and fun to see so much great working being done.

A few days ago, my system started to hang or the android client MALP would lose connection and the phone would be unable to reconnect even if music was playing.

I've rolled back to the base archphile for the time being and might take a step at a time for Dynobot's suggestions (i.e. include the kernel lines only ) and see how that goes for an extended period of time before venturing to the next stage.

I do have to agree that the base level archphile is so good anyway that I would be hard pressed to describe the effect of the scripts other than the removal of the cpu isolation of mpd - which seems easy to hear immediately. The other scripts certainly don't seem to have a deleterious impact - that much I can say.

Funnily enough I wanted to try Gentoo Player as well, but that seems to be hard work and it's good to hear some input about it.

But my rpi3b+ and HAT and archphile now offers the best HDD playback I've enjoyed thus far, so I am happy for the moment and I like hearing that the envelope is constantly being extended.

And it works with an android client, so that's a bonus compared to my previous reference.

Don't know if things worked out for starbender and blitz, but I take it that the silence means it either worked or they gave up.

No I didn't gave up. But tried different things and noticed it has nothing to do with your script. Actually Pi4&archphile has an issue.

Tried with static ip&configured router for mac id and reserved ip for pi also.
But if you reboot or shutdown the pi and power on pi4 does not connect to network anymore. It is random issue. If I reboot the device or hard reset several times it appears at network. But it's not usable as it is. At least for me anyway... Pity I used old versions for years and it was best sounding distro I've ever tried..

That was my conclusion as well...but...chnaged now anyhow to Allo usbridge sign., which is rp3 based...much better than rp4...

No, i did not gave up either, some of my lt4320-filaments psus smoked up and I needed to do some work there first....plus the allo needs to burn in...but in the next days I will revisit archphile...currently dietpi does the job as it was much more stable on the rp4 than archphile...these annoying network issues where prohibitive