Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

Hi all,

New versions (0.99.2 for the Raspberry Pi and 0.91.1 for Udoo Quad and Cubox-i) for all devices are up!

Major changes:

– added i2s support for various dacs (Raspberry Pi Version)
- added upnp/dlna support (upmpdcli) – not enabled by default
– added shairport package – not enabled by default
– updated to mpd 0.19.1 (changed niceness to -16) – native DSD playback support
– updated to ympd 1.2.3

Download: Archphile - A Linux Audiophile Distribution - Downloads

Archphile uses udevil in order to handle auto mounting of usb sticks and disks:

https://ignorantguru.github.io/udevil/

It's already preconfigured and tested with various usb devices (mainly fat32 and NTFS).

A device not being automatically recognised is 2 things:

- a bug
- a problem with the disk (hardware or formatting related)

When you put the usb disk on an Archphile device it's automaticaly mounted under /mnt/usb-disk.

If you navigate there by typing ls command you should be able to see a directory with the label of the disk as a name.

The next and last step needed is just to update mpd database.

With regards to this post:

So, you don't know what is problem..

Vulejov is just trolling on this thread after the conversation below in Archphile forum:

http://forum.archphile.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117

Ps. there is no need to use sudo in Archphile. It's not installed by default and the only user active is root.

Last edited:
Archphile is archLinux and Volumio is debian. I've used them for several years and although they are both Linux they have different behavior in cases like usb mounting.

I have an experience for example from an external disk formatted in ntfs with gparted. It was OK in debian and not recognized by archLinux and don't ask me why, I don't know the reason. I reformatted from a Windows laptop and after that it was OK in both distros.

With regards to your disk, it might be a bug of udevil or archlinuxarn, it might be something that has to do with the way the disk was formated etc.

The first step I would do was to plug the disk and see if it's mounted with:

cat /etc/mtab

If everything is OK you should see it under /mnt/usb-disk and you will be able to use it after updating mpd database.

If you don't see the disk mounted, a second step would be to check dmesg messages. Another test would be to try to mount it manually in order to be able to see any possible error messages.

You did not show any will to try to solve the problem. You concluded that Rpi is a toy and the first thing you stated was that you would return using your laptop. You left me no space to start helping you with your behavior.

If you are satisfied with volumio, you should stay there. Volumio is an excellent distro and it's creator Michaelangelo along with the Runeaudio people were the ones that inspired me create Archphile. Volumio and Runeaudio are no competitors and I have no intention of trying to make you an Archphile user if one of these distros cover your needs.

Sent from my Oneplus One

Last edited:
Performance of Rpi and Hi res files depends on the dac, file storage, network etc.
You may not be able reproduce dsd and dxd with some combos but it should be 100% up to 24/192. I have tested it with several dacs.

Rpi is a nice device for the average user. Most advance users will really appreciate the power of udoo and cubox.

The device of my preference is udoo quad. With this board I had no problems reproducing even the highest dxd file I could find for testing with my xmos based 9018k2m dac.

To be honest however, archphile is not a distro for the owner of dxd and dsd files. I will always be focusing in pcm up to 24/192 because I believe that at the moment higher res files is just hype. Even if Rpi could play dxd without any problems, how many albums are available in this resolution?

Sent from my Oneplus One

To be honest however, archphile is not a distro for the owner of dxd and dsd files. I will always be focusing in pcm up to 24/192 because I believe that at the moment higher res files is just hype. Even if Rpi could play dxd without any problems, how many albums are available in this resolution?

And even 24/192 is total overkill. While I could possibly justify 24/96, all 24/192 adds is lots of empty space and some HF noise. DSD, I am sure, was a nice archive format in the 90's, but I really can't see any reason to use it these days, and DXD only exists as an intermediate PCM format for actually processing DSD files (and defeats all arguments about "DSD is better than PCM" or "DSD is better because you avoid conversions".