An unknown distortion problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2014, 12:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default An unknown distortion problem

Hello, After reading some of the forum questions and answers I am a novice at this! Here goes, I have distortion coming from my speakers while streaming music from my computer through my HH SCOTT amp. The sound is like a cracked speaker, but that isn't the case unless all three sets of speakers had the exact same problem (possible but not likely). I have used three different amps, three different sets of speakers, four different interconnects and speaker wire, and three different computers. At this point I am about to assign the problem to my streaming sources which are Pandora, and Spotify. I am on an ISP that provides 10MBS DSL and I am connected wirelessly. That is all the general information I can provide. If anyone can provide beginner level information that would be great!
Old 16th June 2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehatche View Post
Hello, After reading some of the forum questions and answers I am a novice at this! Here goes, I have distortion coming from my speakers while streaming music from my computer through my HH SCOTT amp. The sound is like a cracked speaker, but that isn't the case unless all three sets of speakers had the exact same problem (possible but not likely). I have used three different amps, three different sets of speakers, four different interconnects and speaker wire, and three different computers. At this point I am about to assign the problem to my streaming sources which are Pandora, and Spotify. I am on an ISP that provides 10MBS DSL and I am connected wirelessly. That is all the general information I can provide. If anyone can provide beginner level information that would be great!
So just to be clear, the distortion is independent of what speakers you use, independent of what amp you use (not just with the HH Scott), and independent of which computer you use?

I assume you are using the analog output on your computer(s). Have you tried with a fixed ethernet connection instead of wireless?

Is the distortion a constant crackling, bursts of crackling, or only at loud peaks in the music?
Old 16th June 2014, 02:49 PM   #3
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Do you have the same problem when you play a MP3 file? I ask this, just to confirm the problem is in the Audio-card or not.

Have you performed a speed test on your WiFi? (google for speedtest) Most providers promise you XX Mbs but in reality this number can be significantly lower.

Are there others using your bandwidth? if so, your bandwidth is even more restricted..

Cheers
Old 16th June 2014, 03:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have this problem sometimes with Media Monkey when it tries to use the AISO driver for my soundcard. Might want to try different output settings in your player and see if that clears it up. I've never used pandora so this might be a wild goose chase. It does sound like crackling and has this reverb when it happens.
Old 16th June 2014, 04:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Julf, To answer your questions

1- Yes
2- not yet (but will)
3- bursts of crackling, and at loud peaks in the music

I will get back in a couple of hours after trying with wire.
Old 16th June 2014, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"Bursts of crackling at loud peaks". Sounds like clipping. Try:

Turn volume down in PC, compensate by turning volume up in amplifier. Comment.
Old 16th June 2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, definitely sounds like clipping.
Old 16th June 2014, 07:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks! To everyone for your responses. I had in the past tried lowering the volume first on the streaming sites, then the computer, and then the amp., this had no effect I can still hear the distortion only a little muted but so was the music. I tried wired NET with no discernible difference. I am beginning to think it is the streaming services Quality of the digital copies I listen to mostly obscure rock/blues albums from the sixties, seventies, and eighties. I have noticed a few more resent ones are pretty good. I guess I was hoping to get lucky with a fix.
Old 16th June 2014, 08:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you want to post a sample, we can look and listen and comment on how it sounds to us...
Old 16th June 2014, 08:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

if there any music streams that sound good for you I would not blame your equipment but the poor quality of the bad sounding tunes.

Hide this!Advertise here!