Volumio (ex RaspyFi) Audiophile Music Player for embedded systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This thread continues from here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...aspberry-pi-into-audiophile-audio-player.html

Here we can talk about Volumio, the popular Audiophile Music Player solution for embedded platforms (Raspberry PI, BeagleBone Black, Cubox-I, UDOO, Cubietruck).

So, to start this new thread I'm really glad to announce the 1.4 version. Finger crossed, from now on Volumio can be considered not in Beta anymore.

So, what are the news of this release?

-UPNP \ DLNA Capability both for browsing music directly from the integrated WebUI and remote control\streaming from UPNP \ DLNA Clients (like bubbleupnp).

- I2S DACs support out of the box. R-pi DAC, Hifiberry & Hifiberry DIGI, Iq-Audio Pi DAC, Raspy3Play. Just connect them, and activate the proper driver from the i2s selector. Reboot and enjoy.

- New Library tab. All your tunes conveniently listed and divided by artist, genres and album. Slick.

- Lots of bugs fixed and fail-proof system. Volumio can detect if it is not behaving correctly and can recover to normal working conditions in 10 seconds. No need to SSH in anymore.

- Airport working with USB and S/PDIF DACs also on other platforms than raspberry PI.

As of now Volumio 1.4 is Available for Raspberry Pi and UDOO. In a week all supported platforms will be upgraded as well. And I'll release the cubietruck version which has been completed (and must admit this is such a brilliant platform).

You can find more detailed info here:

Volumio 1.4 is out, now with UPNP DLNA Support and much more - Volumio

And grab Volumio 1.4 here:

Get Started - Volumio

As usual, your feedbacks are more than appreciated. I wish for you hours of good music with Volumio!
And good luck Italy!!!!!

Hi Mikelangeloz, great thank you for all this work.

I just got my BBB and am ready to install. But I am missing the micro-HDMI to VGA adapter, only got VGA screen. Can I do a "blind" setup, ie with no screen attached to the BBB, and control everything from the tablet, or should I get an adaptor first to have some settings done ?

BR
Jean-Louis

Jean-luis, Volumio is designed to be used with just a mobile, a tablet or a pc. So no need for a monitor. Just hook it to your network, power it up and connect to the web ui by typing http:volumio.local or your BBB ip. On your phone's o tablet browser. That's it! Enjoy!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello mikelangeloz,

Can you tell us what kernel you are running in the latest update?

I'm having trouble with a Ciunas DAC (based on a chipset reported as: Amanero [Combo384 Amanero]) on the 3.10 version of the kernel that was posted on one of the volumio forums by "lstein" - trying this after the the stock 1.3 version of volumio didn't work. I'm on a Cubox-i4.

I'm hoping volumio 1.4 fixes the issue!

The wifi is not active on the udoo with volumio v 1.4. I had to get back to v 1.3.

If I read correctly this distribution is based on debian. If your wireless card was supported on the previous version, it means a functioning driver for your card exists. It should not be difficult to make it work on the new version. Perhaps a firmware package for the new kernel missing or something like that simple.

This just shows making a specialized "click and run" flawless distribution is extremely difficult. No OS so far has been successful at that completely. But there is always a way to fix your setup, do not be afraid to login via ssh and play with the actual system. The GUI is just an add-on layer.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks!

However I still experience the following problems:
1) the USB drive update of my library is incomplete. It stops at artist letter "O" instead of "Z". I have tried many reboots and updates and let at least 20 minutes to update MPD but it never ends...:(
2) the wifi still does not work even if my connection parameters are properly set.
:rolleyes:
Fab

Again, it is very difficult (next to impossible) to make an error-prone appliance using general-purpose OS on generally unspecified hardware.

Errors will always occur in this case. The way is to login via SSH and troubleshoot. Send logs, list configs, etc... Most errors will be relatively easy to fix, but not automatically/automagically.

I know it requires a bit of knowledge but that is why we are at diy... here.

Works a lot better compared to the 1.3Beta version, on the BBB (Rev-B). It shows that considerable work has gone into this update. Great effort! I'm especially intregued by the Kernal profile options. However I've tried them all but am not hearing any differences on my system. Are these settings adjusted on-the-fly, or is a reboot required?

A few observations:
- Playlist are not being displayed, songs are not visible in the playlist pane. By adding song to the playlist I can navigate between them via forward/backward arrows, they are just not listed.
- 1 in every 3 reboots the network adapter doesn't seem to initiallize correctly, can't ping the interface either. (Haven't gotten onto the console to check Ifconfig etc). Board heartbeat LED's blink correctly so I presume the board boots up fine.
- (still missing the art work...) ;-(

Last edited:
Quick reply for everyone - Volumio 1.4 for Cubox-i is out, but it has not updated the kernel from the last release, it's still 3.0.35.

As far as I can tell, the Ciunas DAC will not work with this kernel. I've done lots of fiddling and don't see any output when I look at the /proc/asound etc. output for the Amanero device (which is what the Ciunas is identified as, it uses the Amanero USB transport chipset).

Anyone have advice on getting this DAC running on a Linux box?

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Again, it is very difficult (next to impossible) to make an error-prone appliance using general-purpose OS on generally unspecified hardware.

Errors will always occur in this case. The way is to login via SSH and troubleshoot. Send logs, list configs, etc... Most errors will be relatively easy to fix, but not automatically/automagically.

I know it requires a bit of knowledge but that is why we are at diy... here.

At This Time I just want to report the issue I have to confirm I am not the only one. You simply have to update the MPD database and it goes forever ....so you have to reboot it. I suppose it is quite easy to reproduce by the developer.

Fab

At This Time I just want to report the issue I have to confirm I am not the only one.

I do not have the HW on hand, but I understand a bit how linux and the distro like this works. And I think you as users would make the life of the distro developers much easier if you included a bit more debug information with your problem reports.

You simply have to update the MPD database and it goes forever ....so you have to reboot it. I suppose it is quite easy to reproduce by the developer.

Well, updating the MPD database is a very common task. If there was such an obvious bug, it is quite reasonable to think it would have been detected right at the beginning. IMO the problem will be specific to your situation. E.g. I have heard of some (random) USB sticks disconnecting and re-attaching upon load from RPi, using a different device name. Or the client gui times-out from talking to MPD which actually finishes the job on the background. Or your stick filesystem is corrupted, prehaps only for the linux filesystem driver. Or gazillions of other reasons, quite easy to diagnose via the SSH command line.

Your specific wifi not working - if I see correctly, neither your cubox-I nor udoo have a built-in wifi. That means you have an add-on card (usb?). There are countless verions of wifi boards, very hard to make all of them work out of the box without any touches. Most likely it would not be difficult to make it work. If your effort leads to next versions of volumio supporting your card, any future users with the same HW will benefit.

That is just how the open source community works.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The USB drive issue Was also present with volumio v 1.3 on the cubox-I. Several members reported this issue.
This same USB drive works fine when connected on my udoo quad.

Both the udoo quad and my version of cubox-I have built in wifi. My udoo quad works fine with volumio v1.3.

So I see 2 possibilities :
1) the volumio v 1.4 for cubox-I has issues.
Or 2) my cubox-I hardware is faulty.

From the history of issues with volumio releases I have some doubts but I need someone on this forum to confirm if he has the same issue.

I am not familiar with SSH and I do not have a keyboard. I can only plug an hdmi cable to a tv to take picture of the screen if errors are shown...

Fab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.