Volumio, Raspberry-pi and hardware volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just discovered this very good volumio installed on a raspberry pi, and connected via I2S on a DAC I made.
I want to add a hardware volume control like a motorized pot or other digital pot. Do you know if it is possible to find a piece of software that will work with volumio, and that can output the volume level on som gpio ports of the raspberry, without changing the volume level of the audio digital stream??

Thanks
Best regards
Hugues

There are countless ways but all require a bit of HW hacking and SW coding on your side.

It is possible to make an alsa plugin which defines a volume control for alsa applications, while communicating via serial port (or I2C). For inspiration see alsa plugin for controlling Arcam AV receiver https://github.com/Themaister/alsa-plugins-rsound/blob/master/doc/README-arcam-av git.alsa-project.org Git - alsa-plugins.git/tree - arcam-av/

Linux offers user space I2C tools in the lm-sensors package

I2CTools ? lm-sensors

i2cToolsDocumentation ? lm-sensors

The tools seem to work OK with my onboard integrated I2C ports, I do not know if the I2C ports of RPi will be detected too. If so, you can easily write a script to write/read via your I2C, controlling any volume control device.

But again, it takes a bit of hacking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.