DSD (SACD) FIR based software crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
emaster is offline emaster  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default DSD (SACD) FIR based software crossover

Guys!
I want to introduce you to my recent development - software crossover for offline processing of the SACD DSD streams.
Its core based on a FIR filter and provides direct filtering for delta-sigma streams, without any intermediate conversion into the PCM.
Stereo DSD stream (inside a DSDIFF container file) on the crossover's input processed into the multichannel frequency-divided DSD stream (and also stored into the DSDIFF container) for further playback through the multi-way multi-amped speakers.
DSD offline crossover is absolutely free and can be downloaded on my site: dePhonica sound labs. in "Downloads" section.
Your feedback is very interesting for me, because now I'm starting development of the real-time DSD crossover (as a part of the xDSP2 software crossover project).

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by emaster; 28th March 2014 at 02:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jakarta
Hi, what programming language did you used to create the software? Currently I'm interested to do such thing on windows system. I'm looking into Visual Basic capability to do such thing. Today I bought a book related to Visual Basic programming and first pages related to micro controller. Seems not what I'm looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 01:12 PM   #3
emaster is offline emaster  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hi, what programming language did you used to create the software? Currently I'm interested to do such thing on windows system. I'm looking into Visual Basic capability to do such thing. Today I bought a book related to Visual Basic programming and first pages related to micro controller. Seems not what I'm looking for.
Hi, Jay!
The crossover has C++ filtering backend, C# core and C#+WPF user interface.
VisualBasic for micro controller it's a something new, you know
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jakarta
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaster View Post
VisualBasic for micro controller it's a something new, you know
Yes I know. They even removed port programming functionality in vb dot net. And especially for the plc part, VB is completely useless.

Its always a hassle "supporting" Microsoft product. Recently I had a hard time to choose between windows7 or windows8 (after they discontinued XP). None is preferable but I think I'll stick with windows8
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
I am intrigued. I thought that to apply EQ and so on to DSD it first had to be converted to PCM (or its mathematical equivalent). If it's not giving away any secrets can you explain how direct frequency selective filtering of DSD works?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 08:23 PM   #6
emaster is offline emaster  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yes I know. They even removed port programming functionality in vb dot net. And especially for the plc part, VB is completely useless.
IMO, the arduino ide with its c++ based syntactic sugar is easy enough to implement logic for home-brew devices. And I really think, the basic for mcu programming it's not the best choice. Except if the single led blinking firmware required

Quote:
Its always a hassle "supporting" Microsoft product. Recently I had a hard time to choose between windows7 or windows8 (after they discontinued XP). None is preferable but I think I'll stick with windows8
It seems, windows 7 is more preferable one for the advanced user.
And windows 8 is a step towards to the phone/pad-like UI style.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 08:40 PM   #7
emaster is offline emaster  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
I am intrigued. I thought that to apply EQ and so on to DSD it first had to be converted to PCM (or its mathematical equivalent). If it's not giving away any secrets can you explain how direct frequency selective filtering of DSD works?
Well, briefly it's not a rocket-science. Subtleties in the implementation.
FIR filter works as "analog" filter with sample rate equal to DSD sampling frequency. The signal on the filter's output increases its significant bits from 1 to 5-8-10 and more, depends on the filter's cut frequencies, but holds its sample rate at DSD bit rate. After the filter, output is restored back to DSD stream by the delta-sigma modulator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 10:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Many thanks for the explanation, emaster.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaster View Post
The signal on the filter's output increases its significant bits from 1 to 5-8-10 and more, depends on the filter's cut frequencies, but holds its sample rate at DSD bit rate. After the filter, output is restored back to DSD stream by the delta-sigma modulator.
So you basically convert to high-sample-rate PCM (at the DSD bit rate) and then back to 1-bit?
__________________
"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 09:52 AM   #10
emaster is offline emaster  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
So you basically convert to high-sample-rate PCM (at the DSD bit rate) and then back to 1-bit?
Yes, you partially right.
Pulse density on the filter's input transforms to the signal amplitude samples. But unlike the regular PCM, difference between the following two samples (after the filter) never exceeds the LSB value - due to the high frequency rate. So, the delta-sigma modulator restores DSD stream with a maximum available quality (someone can name it 'bit-perfect').
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EASY FIR crossover PC based+DRC thierry38efd PC Based 51 22nd June 2014 09:46 PM
AVX based FIR VST, crossover / EQ / DRC and delay KOON3876 PC Based 97 26th November 2012 07:18 AM
EASY FIR crossover PC based+DRC thierry38efd Multi-Way 2 18th November 2012 07:56 AM
Is there any PC based software to crossover the L & R channels to the sub? spot PC Based 11 29th November 2011 11:46 AM
SACD's DSD signal rerouting sp502 Digital Source 9 12th September 2008 07:53 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2