Inaudible audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am truly stumped....

I have a 'depth bomb' sound effect that is perfectly audible on my MacPro via the external speakers (although it is predominant through the subwoofer). I'm using it on my Final Cut Pro timeline.

If I mix it into the project - to say export the whole project as an MP4 (for example) it is still audible.

HOWEVER, if I play that file on my MacBook Pro or on my television the 'depth bomb' sound effect disappears!

Here is the original file, and I have not initially changed any of the bit rate or sample or frequency settings:

Freesound.org - "DepthBomb_05.aif" by ZeSoundResearchInc.

Type - AIFF (.aiff)
Duration - 00:20:323
Filesize - 6.8 MB
Samplerate - 88200.0 Hz
Bitdepth - 16 bit
Channels - Stereo

Obviously after hours of attempting to get this sound to playback I HAVE tried changing the various options of sample/bit rate (primarily 48 Hz) and frequencies, plus swapped channels, raised/lowered the bass and volume and created different audio file types - AIFF, MP3, WAV, etc. - but no joy. whatsoever.

I've never come across anything like this and I approached a pro sound mixer who is also stumped. It seems the frequency is too low to be heard by all speakers, but I need to find a way to remedy that.

Any ideas? I'd be REALLY GRATEFUL, as this project should be delivered 18th March 2014.

Thank you in advance

Mark

Home - BONOBO

If the frequency is too low to be heard through a particular speaker then there are only three options:
1. raise the amplitude - but could damage the amplifier or speaker
2. raise the frequency - will then sound different
3. use a better speaker

4. Generate artificial harmonics..?

The missing fundamental phenomenon is used electronically by some pro audio manufacturers to allow sound systems to seem to produce notes that are lower in pitch than they are capable of reproducing.[21] In a hardware effects unit or a software plugin, a crossover filter is set at a low frequency above which the sound system is capable of safely reproducing tones. Musical signal content above the high-pass part of the crossover filter is sent to the main output which is amplified by the sound system. Low frequency content below the low-pass part of the crossover filter is sent to a circuit where harmonics are synthesized above the low notes. The newly created harmonics are mixed back into the main output to create a perception of the filtered-out low notes.[22]
Missing fundamental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: A thread on DIYAudio about it
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/232382-psychoacoustic-bass-enhancement.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.