How To Know if USB Plays FLAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a unit that I can plug a hard drive into by way of USB for the purpose of playing high resolution FLAC files from the hard drive.

But I'm wondering if you would explain to me how I can determine whether or not the units I'm looking at will play the high resolution files from the hard drive when the files are in the FLAC format (192Khz/24bit).

I search around and find many different types of units (i.e. components) that have USB input with a built in DAC but I see nothing about file formats (i.e. I don't see the word FLAC anywhere in the specs). So how do I know?

Does this mean that anything with a USB input and a built in DAC will play any file formats that is on the hard drive (e.g. FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WAV, etc) ?

Last edited:
I'm looking for a unit that I can plug a hard drive into by way of USB for the purpose of playing high resolution FLAC files from the hard drive.

But I'm wondering if you would explain to me how I can determine whether or not the units I'm looking at will play the high resolution files from the hard drive when the files are in the FLAC format (192Khz/24bit).

I search around and find many different types of units (i.e. components) that have USB input with a built in DAC but I see nothing about file formats (i.e. I don't see the word FLAC anywhere in the specs). So how do I know?

Does this mean that anything with a USB input and a built in DAC will play any file formats that is on the hard drive (e.g. FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WAV, etc) ?

It might help to know what exactly you want to plug the external USB hard drive into?

I believe you could play any FLAC file thru a 16-bit/44.1k DAC chip, it may or may not be the perfect match, the it will work.
I would think you could play just about any audio file thru any DAC chip, it just might not be a perfect match.
I'm sure there are lots of cheap low costing 24-bit/192K DAC chips built into a lot of stuff.
I would think a 24-bit/96k Sabre DAC chip would provide better audio quality then a cheap 24-bit/192k DAC chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.