How To Know if USB Plays FLAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2014, 05:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How To Know if USB Plays FLAC

I'm looking for a unit that I can plug a hard drive into by way of USB for the purpose of playing high resolution FLAC files from the hard drive.

But I'm wondering if you would explain to me how I can determine whether or not the units I'm looking at will play the high resolution files from the hard drive when the files are in the FLAC format (192Khz/24bit).

I search around and find many different types of units (i.e. components) that have USB input with a built in DAC but I see nothing about file formats (i.e. I don't see the word FLAC anywhere in the specs). So how do I know?

Does this mean that anything with a USB input and a built in DAC will play any file formats that is on the hard drive (e.g. FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WAV, etc) ?

Last edited by Eddiegnz1; 15th March 2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 15th March 2014, 05:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

To play any file format hardware needs to have the appropriate decoders. Not all systems support all formats.

Do you have any specific examples of gear you're looking at?
Old 15th March 2014, 05:36 AM   #3
lexer98 is offline lexer98  Argentina
diyAudio Member

One friend have a AUNE MINI APE (i think this model is discontinued) support all lossless format and sound fantastic !... there another called AUNE BIG APE that you can install a internal SATA HDD

aune Audio
Old 15th March 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiegnz1 View Post
Does this mean that anything with a USB input and a built in DAC will play any file formats that is on the hard drive (e.g. FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WAV, etc) ?
To start with you need to make sure that the unit can act as USB master and fetch files from USB storage, as opposed to being a USB peripheral that attaches to a computer that acts as a master.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiegnz1 View Post
I'm looking for a unit that I can plug a hard drive into by way of USB for the purpose of playing high resolution FLAC files from the hard drive.

But I'm wondering if you would explain to me how I can determine whether or not the units I'm looking at will play the high resolution files from the hard drive when the files are in the FLAC format (192Khz/24bit).

I search around and find many different types of units (i.e. components) that have USB input with a built in DAC but I see nothing about file formats (i.e. I don't see the word FLAC anywhere in the specs). So how do I know?

It might help to know what exactly you want to plug the external USB hard drive into?

I believe you could play any FLAC file thru a 16-bit/44.1k DAC chip, it may or may not be the perfect match, the it will work.
I would think you could play just about any audio file thru any DAC chip, it just might not be a perfect match.
I'm sure there are lots of cheap low costing 24-bit/192K DAC chips built into a lot of stuff.
I would think a 24-bit/96k Sabre DAC chip would provide better audio quality then a cheap 24-bit/192k DAC chip.

Hide this!Advertise here!