Can anybody spot what setting I need to change?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody possibly know the answer to my problem?

My set up is windows 8.1, an Asus sound card connected to a receiver via S/PDIF. I have a set of 5.1 speakers connected to the receiver. Everything works as it should when playing games, movies, you tube etc. I get 5.1 sound. There is one program that will only give me stereo sound. Below is the screenshot of my options for the sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a few choices for audio output device and passthrough output device but the only ones that will give me any sound are

Directsound: spdif - s/pdif pass through device (asus xonar d2x audio device)

and

Wasapi : spdif - s/pdif pass-through device (asus xonar d2x audio device)

Can anybody see from those settings why I am not getting 5.1 sound?

Via coaxial/optical out put the digital formats supported by the receiver are

Dolby Digital 5.1

DTS 5.1

DTS 96/24 5.1

My receiver is a Sony STR-DH540

Could it be that the wrong audio track is played back (DVDs usually come with multiple ones, and you can typically select the one to be played in software)? Or that a downmix is performed? You may also have to set up the Asus driver (a current one, I hope?) to use SPDIF only.

BTW, you shouldn't be getting 5.1 audio on Youtube, at least it doesn't provide any - only upmixing would do this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.