Share my connection Xubuntu pc and raspberry pie - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 12:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Share my connection Xubuntu pc and raspberry pie

Hello all! can you help please?
I have Gigabit Ethernet going to my Xubuntu PC's onboard Lan connector, via cat6, and I have a second network card that has a cat5 cable to my Raspberry-Pi (with RaspyFi installed).

Thanks Mike
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafuser View Post
Hello all! can you help please?
I have Gigabit Ethernet going to my Xubuntu PC's onboard Lan connector, via cat6, and I have a second network card that has a cat5 cable to my Raspberry-Pi (with RaspyFi installed).
Is there a reason you aren't using a cheap switch? You can use the PC as a router, but you have to know a bit about linux and routing.

The simple and straightforward method is to enable IP forwarding.
Old 24th February 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mike,

Julf is right, setting up IP forwarding between your two NIC cards in the PC will do the job. An alternative is to create a network bridge. In windows you'd use the network centre to do that with point and click, but in Linux it can be done a little command line work.

Assuming your PC is connected to a router, and DHCP is on, the use of a network bridge between the two NICs on your PC means the RPi, wiht the right settings, can auto configure its network connection when plugged into PC. What distro is running on your RPI?
Old 24th February 2014, 05:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Eudyptes, still not working yet. Its running raspyfi RaspyFi - Pi never sounded so good!
Thankyou
Mike
Old 24th February 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Morfeus is offline Morfeus  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would not use LAN at all. It is very noisy on the Pi. Use Wlan instead, if sound quality matters.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a plan, Morfeus :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!