Share my connection Xubuntu pc and raspberry pie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! can you help please?
I have Gigabit Ethernet going to my Xubuntu PC's onboard Lan connector, via cat6, and I have a second network card that has a cat5 cable to my Raspberry-Pi (with RaspyFi installed).

Is there a reason you aren't using a cheap switch? You can use the PC as a router, but you have to know a bit about linux and routing.

The simple and straightforward method is to enable IP forwarding.

Mike,

Julf is right, setting up IP forwarding between your two NIC cards in the PC will do the job. An alternative is to create a network bridge. In windows you'd use the network centre to do that with point and click, but in Linux it can be done a little command line work.

Assuming your PC is connected to a router, and DHCP is on, the use of a network bridge between the two NICs on your PC means the RPi, wiht the right settings, can auto configure its network connection when plugged into PC. What distro is running on your RPI?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.