Computer audio EQ and Gain Adjustment Program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My goal is world class car audio application. Feel the hypothetical player suggested in the following could benefit the audio community. Please tell me if the tile and location of the thread is accurate?

Have a decent size (for me at least) music library and very frustrating how some songs will be way too loud. Have dl easymp3gain for ubuntu and it did seem to "normalize" the most of the songs. So, only about 75% of my library go it, still some songs are too loud. Of course, a computer program to manually adjust each song is needed.

Another cool feature to have would be independent equalizer adjust. 32 bands with variable band size adjust or a whole bunch of freaking parametric bands with variable band size would be better IMO. Independent meaning you could custom tune each song. Another feature would be to have a main eq adjust and set it as the main, then, tweak the main for every song and have the player remember the custom setting for each song.

Such equipment for car audio exists...just doesn't have the memory feature for each song...

Arc Audio PS8
Zapco DSP-Z8
Bit-one
Alto Mobile UCS Pro

** older model from 90's which own and works well, obviously ahead of it's time considering it has almost the same processing power is the above units

Wish a cool mp3 player (or computer software) existed which would let you tag each song as you come across it and remember the volume adjustment (gain) you give it would solve the problem big time. Own an older Cowon D2 and it's pretty versitale having a 5 or 7 band eq with variable frequency options and widths. It also has a lead in feature which starts the song off softly (highest setting is 5 seconds) however, even using it, some songs will still hurt my ears at the begining. Maybe a time of 15 or 20 seconds could be enough to have time to adjust the volume when playing in the car or getting it out of your pocket? A big fan of the Cowon brand because of how it's made in Korea (hopefully not too many communist parts). With such a powerful tool to play and adjust/customize you music, you could eliminate the need from such car audio processors AND the need for an expensive headunit/cd player. Maybe upwards of $1000 dollars?

But, pretty sure no mp3players like such exist yet so, a good LOSSLESS computer program to eq and gain adjust each song manually would save big time . Only thing left would be to crossover your speakers correctly??

If any mp3 players have such features, please let me know (would like to purchase my electronics mainly from non communist countries).

Last edited:
Just a few random thoughts:

1. I run Ubuntu myself, in my main listening room. MPD, Ecasound, Sox. I use parametric filters for subwoofer eq, but that's overall, not per song.

2. I have been known to use the parametric eq available in "Goldwave" for specific music cuts that are annoying. This eliminates any new/additional hardware, and automatically makes your eq "stick" with each song. Yeah, you can't mess with it while you're driving, but you also don't need any new hardware. Yes, you can adjust the gain on each song, too.

MPD can put "stickers" to each song Stickers

The equalizer can be based on alsaequal the digital machine

Your sticker can contain string-encoded equalizer setting. The current equalizer setting can be read (via amixer) upon track change (MPD API) and stored with the previously-played song. Also, the equalizer sticker of the currently played track can be decoded and the equalizer adjusted accordingly.

That way you can adjust EQ manually to please your ears while a track is playing and the new settings will be stored with the track automatically.

IMO it takes just a bit of scripting.

Honestly, it is just a rough idea, not tested practically. I googled out the stickers functionality, I hoped for its existence as mpd maintains its own database of tracks.

I was not able to find a way to hook a process to the track change event. The few scripts in Hacks - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki I looked at use polling mpd status at regular intervals (1 sec) which is ugly. I would prefer registering a binary and having it called upon track change by MPD itself. Perhaps something like that already exists, a message to the MPD mailinglist would find out.

Implementation of the equalizer solution should not be complicated but you know the reality - every tiny functioning step forward is covered with blood :)

yea dude, have a math professor from the check...he is soooo smart. never really understand him because he is so smart. he told me he wrote like his own computer software. he teaches discrete mathematics and other math courses.

think what you're suggesting is probably too hard me to try. don't take it wrong. simple life, simple ways, simple right for me.

emailed goldwave with the opening of the thread and asked if the software would work for me (want to be sure before dropping $60).

don't understand what you mean

so, if you use a program like goldwave, the end result will be something with less sound quality? was hoping to find something which wouldn't effect the quality too much. are some programs better than others?

Last edited:
The whole idea of a "lossy" format is to make the files smaller. Consider an uncompressed 70 minute music file fills a 700 meg CD. Compress it by saving to mp3, and it's maybe 50 megs. For car listening, I find the quality to be "good enough", and I can put 6 or 7 hours of music on one CD.

For serious listening to my good system, no, lossy isn't good enough, and I use lossless formats.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.