digital in to PC how?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Via a soundcard with spdif input. However, if a different soundcard were used for output, two independent clock domains could cause buffer underruns after some time. For shorter periods (single hours) it may not be a problem though, depending on the actual HW.

Thanks for the response.

The m/board i am thinking about (PC not assembled yet, the m/b is H77 based) has on-board spdif output, no separate soundcard.
Is the onboard spdif out OK?
As far as s/card goes, the only I could locate and was thinking about (before I discovered that H77's have onboard spdif out) is M-Audio AP192. It has both spdif in and out, but was warned that in won't run under W7, and there might be problem with drivers...and that I am better off with something like H77. Really neophite when it comes to computers :-(

Last edited:
I have a dirt cheap 7.1 USB soundcard with SPDIF input which works OK. But also you have to consider the latency such setup will introduce, easily ruining your AV lipsync unless you have a way to delay the video.

If you have an AV receiver hooked to your HTPC, it would be way easier to put the SPDIF feed into the AVR instead of the HTPC.

No AV receiver, stereo only.
Guess will have to look for a similar "normal" soundcard with spdif in/out (the M-Audio is probably an overkill and $$$!). Care to suggest? Couldn't find one so far.

Thanks.

Well, I have USB 2 0 External 7 1CH Optical SPDIF Audio Sound Card Adapter for PC Laptop Win7 | eBay and its toslink input is working fine at 48kHz (glitches at 44.1kHz). 48Khz is what you need, IMO.

However, that does not solve the question of latency (delayed sound very likely). Plus you will have to route the recorded samples to your output soundcard which may run at a different samplerate (even the same samplerate can cause problems - the two clock domains issue).

I am convinced your desired setup is suboptimal. Are perhaps your SPDIF sources missing analog outputs that you insist on using SPDIF? A simple stereo analog switch at your amp input would solve the issue.

The whole idea is to try to assemble a system capable of implementing digital correction, be that room EQ, phase linearization, maybe x/o, etc, and most of the s/w programs generate FIR filters. For that a PC comes into play as a convolver (the other option being openDRC from minidsp, but assembling a PC looks easier, can be done locally and no hassle with ordering abroad, transport, imports etc).
While all CDs and DVDs, plus music downloads stored on external HDDs can be easily played with PC, the problem is phono/vinyl (real time playing, one can also needle-drop digitize and play back the digital vinyl) , and the satellite radio, which I listen to most of the time! Yes one can listen to internet radio instead, but for the time being that's what I do.
Hence the need for a SPDIF input to PC, to be able to process the digital sat.radio/tv signal. I am aware of the potential latency problem with audio/video sync (sat.tv in this case) but if it is low that might not be a problem.
Thanks for your interest, maybe this topic would help somebody else in similar situation.

With the DRC you can be sure the overall latency will not be low. However, if your satellite feed is audio only and all video comes from your HTPC (i.e. adjustable video delay), the audio latency would not matter.

The DRC/Xover project has been discussed here multiple times.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.