"Audiophile Optimizer"....fish oil...? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Wungun is offline Wungun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default "Audiophile Optimizer"....fish oil...?

Whos using this in their PC setup?
I understand the benefits of minimal processes/threads running as a positive benefit to audio transport...but it also incorporates some user defined DSP as well...which im not keen on.
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wungun View Post
Whos using this in their PC setup?
I understand the benefits of minimal processes/threads running as a positive benefit to audio transport...but it also incorporates some user defined DSP as well...which im not keen on.
What exactly do you mean that having minimal things running benefits audio transport?
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Services, drivers, processes....anything that takes cpu cycles other than audio playback.
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well-meaning automagic system "optimization" tools of any kind tend to create more problems than they solve. Besides, if you've got playback that already is free from stuttering and the like, there is no way it could get any better. Audio per se is in no way particularly taxing (heck, a 386 would output 16/44 audio via ISA DMA at rather negligible system load back in the day), it merely is a bit time-critical.

If you do have problems, there are multiple things you can investigate.
Download and run DPC Latency Checker. You may find the occasional high spikes. The most frequent culprits are network (particularly WLAN) drivers, so try updating these. Some systems also have issues with USB (and thus USB sound devices) when changing processor power states; one would hope that this is a thing of the past now.
You can also try tweaking the network throttling option.
Finally, you can investigate whether your playback application supports invoking the MMCSS service (Foobar2000: Preferences --> Advanced --> Thread Priority).

In the olden days it would also not have been unusual to shuffle around expansion cards to resolve cases of unlucky interrupt sharing (for example, an ES1370 based soundcard didn't get along with an LSI U2W SCSI host adapter, while it didn't mind a Matrox Millennium II). In my old 440BX machine, I additionally had to set the PCI latency timer for the USB controller to 0 in order to get rid of crackling in sensitive cards.

Last edited by sgrossklass; 2nd February 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wungun View Post
Services, drivers, processes....anything that takes cpu cycles other than audio playback.
If you've got anything better than a Pentium Dual Core you shouldn't worry about freeing up cpu cycles for music.

Unless the system is so loaded that the song is really skipping, getting 0% usage on a quad core is not going to do anything.

This is about as silly as audiofools saying cables are directional......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
Well-meaning automagic system "optimization" tools of any kind tend to create more problems than they solve. Besides, if you've got playback that already is free from stuttering and the like, there is no way it could get any better. Audio per se is in no way particularly taxing (heck, a 386 would output 16/44 audio via ISA DMA at rather negligible system load back in the day), it merely is a bit time-critical.

If you do have problems, there are multiple things you can investigate.
Download and run DPC Latency Checker. You may find the occasional high spikes. The most frequent culprits are network (particularly WLAN) drivers, so try updating these. Some systems also have issues with USB (and thus USB sound devices) when changing processor power states; one would hope that this is a thing of the past now.
You can also try tweaking the network throttling option.
Finally, you can investigate whether your playback application supports invoking the MMCSS service (Foobar2000: Preferences --> Advanced --> Thread Priority).

In the olden days it would also not have been unusual to shuffle around expansion cards to resolve cases of unlucky interrupt sharing (for example, an ES1370 based soundcard didn't get along with an LSI U2W SCSI host adapter, while it didn't mind a Matrox Millennium II). In my old 440BX machine, I additionally had to set the PCI latency timer for the USB controller to 0 in order to get rid of crackling in sensitive cards.
Thanks for backing me up. I completely agree, back then you did have many little problems that were hardware specific usually, but as you said, " if you've got playback that already is free from stuttering and the like, there is no way it could get any better."
Old 9th February 2014, 01:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm very skeptical of the whole thing, naturally...even more so that it costs 100 EU and you can't trial it!! A lot of people who use it, swear by it...but this is very subjective.
I understand what you're saying about CPU load and the like...but I've seen powerful PC's cough and hick up and stutter even with CPU load very low and latency at a reasonably, if not ideal, level.
I wonder if many setups maybe "borderline" in this respect but not consciously noticeable...? Until the system is optimized a little more....?
Old 21st February 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

There is a free script that you can download that will stop most unneeded services, disable the page file, change the priorities of important interrupts (timer, soundcard, usb controller, etc) and a few other things on a Windows 8 machine, with the purpose of optimizing the machine for music playback. No need to pay over $100 for that.
Old 9th March 2014, 11:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

This Audio Optimizer script is design to work best with a 2 PC setup and use JPlay as the network transport. When I mention DNLA instead of JPlay (because JPlay is also another fish oil potion!), I got very negative remarks about using Dnla. I wouldn't be surprised that there isn't some financial benefit/ agreement between this Swiss magic script and JPlay.
When I talked about how this script must be altering the music output (as there as several options to choose from for dialling in the sound), I was told that the data is NOT altered in any way...the difference in sound from the different options is from the different optimizations settings within the OS...
No other elaboration was given, only to say that a magician doesn't tell how their tricks are done!
A paid, 14 day trial is available now however...
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi

There is no DSP or alteration of the source signal. As you know my software makes permanent changes to the OS, but there is no EXE or something else running during music playback. So there just can't be any DSP of any form.

What i do is change settings of the operating system which will directly influence sound reproduction, but there is still not a single bit changed in the source file or output.

...fishoil? definitely not -> http://supratekaudio.blogspot.com.au...tal-sound.html

Best,
Phil
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:03 PM   #10
cmiu007 is offline cmiu007  Romania
diyAudio Member

with 100 euro I will buy a BBB and donate the rest to the Open Source community. at least it will be some good spend money

Hide this!Advertise here!