"Audiophile Optimizer"....fish oil...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't have believed it myself. Lol
But we're talking, 20-25 years ago...when IDE cables were ribbons....
Tested on a 2-drive RAID stripe...
Was a few Mb/second faster every time it was benchmarked.
Maybe the benchmark software like the looks of the braided shielding of the cables.

It's also instructive to follow the Audiophile Optimiser/Jplay model through to completion:

All prices in Euros and some rounded down to keep it simple:

2PCs - 1000
2 WS2012 licences - 900
JPlay Licence- 99
A.O. - 100
JCAT Cat5 cable to connect PCs - 300
JCAT SATA Cable to connect hard drive on one pc- 300
JCAT USB Cable to connect to Async USB Dac - 300
JCAT USB3.0 Card to plug USB cable into - 399

So a rough cost of over 3000 euros. Makes a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone look like the bargain of the century even before you factor in that connected direct I2S to a DAC the little arm board will produce a sound easily on a par with the above and not smell the slightest bit fishy!

How about this alternative:

Sony HAP-Z1ES (2000 USD/GBP/EUR)?

I could describe it as a dedicated pc with playback software, nice display and remote control with extremely good dac including a balanced outputs.

All of that packed in one sturdy case.

It can be also controlled by a mobile phone/tablet.

Since this is DIY forum I could say it has also a plenty of modding potential according to the various pics of the insides on a net.

How about this alternative:

Sony HAP-Z1ES (2000 USD/GBP/EUR)?

I could describe it as a dedicated pc with playback software, nice display and remote control with extremely good dac including a balanced outputs.

All of that packed in one sturdy case.

It can be also controlled by a mobile phone/tablet.

Since this is DIY forum I could say it has also a plenty of modding potential according to the various pics of the insides on a net.

If you really want to make DIY streamer you can find a lot of resources and not get stuck with one embedeed solution. For example (WIP):

Bufalo III
Cube-i2 to be replaced with a wandboard quad
Jlsounds USB to I2S
Debian + MPD directly to ALSA

project cost: around 800 euros and a lot of time :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uiYCepmQHSTmNSLTFxRXNkb2c/edit?usp=sharing

adding remote and screen is trivial and you have a lot of choices regarding the player and interfaces.

This one also has built in 1TB HD and that's what I would prefer.

All in one dedicated component...

I'm not a fan to put a HDD in the streamer, my "stable" computer source (i3, pasive colling blah blah balah ) is having none. Having the music files on a NAS makes them accesible for all the remaining audio devices in the house :).

IMO the main problem with embedded devices is the later support regarding firmware updates, several devices can have better support regarding file types or protocols (for example DOP) (check the endless discussion about different uPNP implementations, or how easy you can update customize your web radio stations or get access ot new services like Spotify) based on a simple firmware update but usually you have to buy the next device :) Having it split in multiple "sub devices" grants you a lot of flexibility and you are independent of one manufacturer.

But I agree with you, this is the easiest way to get into computer audio playback. Plug and play, but I don't put any hopes in heavy tweak it and is not really DIY either.

The fact that all is purposely built from the scratch and only for music reproduction.

A dedicated DAC for a RPi is just as much "all purpose built from scratch and only for music reproduction", and the RPi is all purpose built from scratch only for shifting bits - just as the digital parts of the Sony HAP-Z1ES.

But of course, the ears are the ultimate judge.
Indeed.

IMO RPi is not really suitable for this use. The poor USB hardware (no IRQs, the driver has to check status every frame), Broadcom bought the core IP incl. the drivers and does not have any internal know-how of the technology. The GPU driver is closed-source (still?). The USB ethernet bridge problem. I would pick a different board with decent hardware - successful alternatives are discussed on these forums extensively.

The kernel and programming stuff is all a bit over my head but I thought the osc didn't divide down to a perfect 44.1 (since it's made for comp / DVD standard 48k)

So the absolute frequency might be off by 0.02 %. On the analog output, the consequence is that the absolute pitch is off by 1/1000th of a note. With an async USB DAC with separate clock domains, it has no effect.

IMO RPi is not really suitable for this use. The poor USB hardware (no IRQs, the driver has to check status every frame), Broadcom bought the core IP incl. the drivers and does not have any internal know-how of the technology. The GPU driver is closed-source (still?). The USB ethernet bridge problem. I would pick a different board with decent hardware - successful alternatives are discussed on these forums extensively.

Sure, the RPi is not the best choice because of the hassles, but from a sound quality point of view, it is just as good as the other choices when driving an external DAC - and the RPi is cheap, plentiful and well-supported.

If you are really going for it and building your own system, and can deal with configuring Linux, there are definitely better choices - all still a fraction of the price of the Sony box.

So the absolute frequency might be off by 0.02 %. On the analog output, the consequence is that the absolute pitch is off by 1/1000th of a note. With an async USB DAC with separate clock domains, it has no effect.

Originally Posted by glt:
I took a quick look at the RPI specs.
- I2S is generated by the Broadcom chip, a 19.2MHz clock feeds the chip
- The spec says:
"The General Purpose clocks can be output to GPIO pins. They run from the peripherals clock sources and use clock generators with noise-shaping MASH dividers. These allow the GPIO clocks to be used to drive audio devices.

The fractional divider operates by periodically dropping source clock pulses, therefore the output frequency will periodically switch between:

source-freq/DIV1 and source-freq/DIV1+1

If this is what is actually happening, then for 44.1K you will get and output frequency fluctuating between these two values:

19200000/435=44,138
19200000/436=44,037

For HDMI Audio, 48KHz, you get:

19200000/400=48,000 which is perfect.

Back to the BBB:

24576000/557=44,122
24576000/558=44,043

You could argue that for fixed divider, you get a better approximate frequency with BBB

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twis...embedded-audio-applicance-21.html#post3838004

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.