SONOS ZP80, open and connect directly to I2S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SONOS ZP80, connect directly to I2S?

Does anyone know where on the circuit Board the I2S connection point is, and which of the 3 soldering/contact pins who are GND, Clock and Data?

I also wonder if the SMPS are going through the digital card? Then i need to know where the black/yellow/red pins are.

At last, is it any problem to just remove the digitalcard and the wificard completely from the chassis?

My plan is to connect the I2S output from the "motherboard" in SONOS directly to the I2S input on a Buffalo II dac from Twisted Pear Audio. I know that the kables between the I2S terminals should be short.

Last edited:
This would be good to do. I thought of it, but will stick with spdif.

I doubt that anyone here will have tried it, so I guess you will have to open up the case, identify the chips, and look up their datasheets for pin details. I2S is not a striaghtforward system. You may have masterclock issues, or you may just land lucky with compatability.

Twisted Pear make a transporter for extending I2S cables.

IMO it is not a simple project if the device was not designed to have the I2S bus easily accessible.

Plus many codecs need initialial buffer/pin sequence configuration, switching sample rates via pins or I2C, etc. It is certainly doable but IMO it is easier (and cheaper) to pick a linux box with I2S available by design.

THX for answers. I had a Wyred 4 Sound Cullen mod Zoneplayer but it wouldnt work 100% with my Buffalo II dac. It came small ticks and pops regulary. W4S told my that The Cullen mod could be incompatible with a few DACs. They had experienced that before. It was expensive and i had to sell it because i was so satisfied with my Buffalo dac. Buffalo with ordinary ZP80 sounds have more body and organic sound than ZP90 Cullen mod with NAD M51 Dac. Still i am curious if i can benefit any kind of mod with a ZP80/90/Connect together with my Buffalo dac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.