Ripping audio/video files to ext HDD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to use an external drive ( WD 2TB USB3.0) with my PC and sometimes with my Bluray player that can read from an external USB drive ( OPPO93).

I plan to rip to HDD with the PC , EAC for FLAC audio files from CD and not yet figured out what to use for ripping MKV ( or ISO ?) video files from DVD.

Do I need to partition the drive to separate the Audio from the Video files ? These will eventually be read by the Bluray player.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good question. My Sony Bluray is picky about files and structure. Well, more about file types.

I suggest a good round of tests with a few files before you commit to any disc format.
  • What disc format does the player like best?
  • UDF, NTFS, FAT32, exFAT?
  • Can it see 2 virtual drives if you partition?
  • What folder structure makes navigation easiest for you?

All things I've run up against using a player and HDD.

I used MakeMKV with good success with my Oppo BDP-103. The Alien box set was the only one of 200+ Bluray and DVD movies it failed to rip. Unless you are really into the extra features, ripping only the main title is probably the easiest to use. You may be able to use ISO format to give you the same experience with the 93 if you haven't updated the firmware.

Guessing the 93 is similar, you could store all your files in the same folder, as when browsing the network for music the BDP only sees music file formats and video formats only for video browsing. I have them separate, with a folder called music and one called video. Subfolders for each atrist/album and movie. This works well with an external drive attached to the USB port on the player or browsing the network. Jriver Media Player is a great interface for pushing to the player. I haven't purchased the remote control app for my iPhone yet but hear it works very well.

Not sure if the 93 is a DLNA renderer like the 103 but if so you can push to the Oppo or browse from the oppo to your media files.

Check out the Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread for lots of good info.

Last edited:
I found that the OPPO will accept files with the artist name which contains a sub folder with the album name and which contains the audio and image files. Audio here being Flac files. However OPPO will show the image ( album cover) only if the audio files are MP3.
My machine will only play MKV video files. I tried it with an ISO and MKV files and only MKV plays back. All Audio files are under an "Audio" main folder and video under a "Video" folder. I did not do any partitioning.

The drive comes formatted with NTFS . This is essential as video files will be larger than 4 Gb.

Maybe you can make ISO files with DVD decrypter or ImageBurn and then convert to MKV (?) for difficult discs. I also used MakeMKV . Worked out well. Will compare with the original disc to see if there is any degradation. I read that it should not make a difference though some people reported slight loss of quality. Others replied to that comment by saying that some playback setting could have been responsible for the 'loss'.

Last edited:
Ashok, do you have gracenote lookup turned on? My BDP-103 gives me cover art for flac files. File names contain artist, album, track name and number. Directory tree is music:artist:album.

Licensing requirements prevents playback of ISO files, so if your firmware is later than January 2013 you won't have that capability.

Hi Bob , I don't know what gracenote lookup is. I guess this must be in the settings ?
I never upgraded firmware after I bought my machine in Oct 2011 in the US.
The forum says that 50-0608 firmware upgrade enabled ISO but was disable later. But my firmware is 42-0323 and that doesn't seem to have ISO capability either. I should upgrade to 50-0608 but can't find.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Happy New Year !
We are already into the New Year and you need a few hours more to get there !

Where can I get the 61-1219.aspx upgrade firmware? OPPO's web site doesn't seem to have it.

Last edited:
The player will look up information from the Gracenote database and get you the album art. This feature is turned on and off in settings.

I realized today when playing without an internet connection I must have tagged the files with cover art. I don't remember what program I used to do it, but it may have been VLC media player or JRiver media player. I think the cover art is embedded in the flac files but I can't confirm.

Hi Bob,when one makes a FLAC file using EAC you can access a meta data site which give us the album cover ( with selectable pixel size ) and also the track names. This feature is in the menu of EAC ( Exact Audio Copy ). So as I have done it , and I think this is how others do it (?) , I have an Artist folder then a sub folder for the album and that contains the flac files and the album cover image.
My machine will only show the album cover with MP3 files. However the newer machines from OPPO apparently show the album cover in FLAC also. Maybe a firmware upgrade of my machine might do that also.
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.