To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
ACX is offline ACX  Italy
diyAudio Member

Exclamation To Raspberry Pi/BeagleBone Black/CuBox/UDOO owners: RuneAudio is looking for testers

Hello to everyone, after many years of lurking in this forum I decided to write my first post here, almost after 4 years since my subscription. It's never too late, isn't it?
I finally took the initiative because I'd like to collect the feedbacks of some volunteers for an open source project I'm involved in, so I'm asking here if somebody is interested.

I'm one of the developers behind RuneAudio project (www.runeaudio.com), where we are working on a free and open source software that turns embedded hardware into Hi-Fi music players. We said goodbye to the traditional PC used as computer audio digital source, and replaced it with cheap, silent and low-consumption mini-PCs, making them perform as an high fidelity digital sources. First platforms going to be supported are Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Pi, CuBox and UDOO; more of them are coming in the future.

The system runs on RuneOS, a custom built GNU Linux operating system, based on Arch Linux, and has MPD (Music Player Daemon) at his heart. As other similiar projects, we were inspired in the beginning from the well-known Voyage MPD distro (for x86 platforms).
In addition of researching the best sound quality, our other main goal was to make the player accessible and easy to use for everyone. We developed RuneUI, a cross platform web interface which works both as MPD client and system control panel, easy to use. Some of you may have already seen it in RaspyFi distro, for which we initially developed it.

Today we have released the first version of our software, still in beta and missing some interesting features, but functional to be tested in a traditional setup (music on a NAS, ethernet connection and USB DAC). We are now focusing on system optimization and sound quality at this early stage, and we would love to receive some feedbacks from users to confirm that we are going in the right direction. So my invitation to everybody interested in it is: download it, try it and tell us your impressions. You will give us a worthly contribute to improve the overall quality of our work.

You can download the .img file here:
Download | RuneAudio

Ciao!

Andrea
Old 10th December 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Please do you have a public git (svn) repository to track the development?
Old 11th December 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
cmiu007 is offline cmiu007  Romania
diyAudio Member

Could you please add wandboard to your list of supported devices?

You just need to compile the boot and make a new image.

What version of MPD are you using? Could you please give more details about the distribution?

+1 for the git (svn) repository request.

gj
Old 11th December 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is the git repository:
https://github.com/Runeaudio
You can find the RuneUI repo, but we still have to set up the RuneOS repo properly (we are working hard to release a beta version for each platform in these days).

@cmiu007: Wandboard is a good candidate too, we are counting on extending the list of certified devices in the future. Currently we don't have any Wandboard to test and develop on, we hope to put our hands on one of them soon.
Our distribution is built over Arch Linux and aims to be highly optimized for best audio quality from USB audio. We currently use 0.18.3 version of MPD.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=ACX;3734424] ...after many years of lurking in this forum I decided to write my first post here, almost after 4 years since my subscription...
[ /QUOTE]

Yep. Great forum.

I hope you learned a lot over the years and were able to gather plenty of nice and valuable information for your project.
A pity that you couldn't support -- not even a single post -- other inmates with your obvious in-depth knowledge during all those years.

Your project though seems to me just like another project out of numerous similar ongoing projects.

From my perspective a pity that you've chosen MPD after all those years lurking around over here.

Anyhow. I wish you all the best for your project.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Yep. Great forum.

I hope you learned a lot over the years and were able to gather plenty of nice and valuable information for your project.
A pity that you couldn't support -- not even a single post -- other inmates with your obvious in-depth knowledge during all those years.

Your project though seems to me just like another project out of numerous similar ongoing projects.

From my perspective a pity that you've chosen MPD after all those years lurking around over here.

Anyhow. I wish you all the best for your project.
Hello soundcheck, honestly I don't understand your reaction. One of the goals of RuneAudio was indeed having the opportunity to give back to the community the knowledge we gathered during the years.
We are putting our personal professional skills (web design, UI design, PHP and JS coding and Linux tuning) in an open source project, to deliver a free software that transforms cheap hardware in an Hi-Fi source. We didn't learn these skills in this forum.
I opened this thread here because I esteem this community and I wanted to share our work with its members. I didn't post anything before because I thought that I had nothing really interesting to share with other people. Now I have it, and here I am.

What's the problem with MPD anyway?
Old 12th December 2013, 12:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACX View Post
Hello soundcheck, honestly I don't understand your reaction. One of the goals of RuneAudio was indeed having the opportunity to give back to the community the knowledge we gathered during the years.
We are putting our personal professional skills (web design, UI design, PHP and JS coding and Linux tuning) in an open source project, to deliver a free software that transforms cheap hardware in an Hi-Fi source. We didn't learn these skills in this forum.
I opened this thread here because I esteem this community and I wanted to share our work with its members. I didn't post anything before because I thought that I had nothing really interesting to share with other people. Now I have it, and here I am.

What's the problem with MPD anyway?
I look your work.
Thanks for it.

Ciao ragazzi

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005
Old 12th December 2013, 12:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I look your work.
Thanks for share it.
Ciao ragazzi

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005
Old 12th December 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well done! Let me know when you get the Beaglebone Black version working. I've been using my own homebrewed equivalent of Raspyfi for a year now. It works quite well on the Pi, though I still get the occasional glitch at 24/96 and above.

I recently tried it on the Beaglebone but couldn't get it to run stably at all, so hopefully you can do better.
Old 12th December 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeboy View Post
Well done! Let me know when you get the Beaglebone Black version working.
We are working right now to stabilize a beta version for the BB. We are impatient to see how it will perform with the optimization tweaks applied on Raspberry Pi, but without the Pi's well-known limitations of the shared Ethernet/USB bus.

Hide this!Advertise here!