Multi Zone Audio Switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2013, 03:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Multi Zone Audio Switch

Hi,

I am looking to build a multi zone system for my home. I already have a system installed and want to improve on what I already have.

Just to get it out there first my main driver is a low cost tailored solution that meets my needs, I know I could pay the money and get something better but I am doing this to integrate into my Homeseer controlled system and really just to build something useful.

At the minute I have a single amp which feeds 6 zones, I have multiple sources to the amp but I use a home built pic / relay controlled speaker switch to switch zones off and on.

What I want is to use a mini amp per zone and to be able to select the source for each zone and set the volume for each zone.

So I will have say 4 separate inputs, from an FM/ DAB radio source, the HA PC (for Announcements and ITunes interface) and two others I haven't decided on yet.

I want all of this to be selectable from my HA PC so I plan to build a switching/ volume control circuit, I am thinking of using something like the ADG409 for source selection and some digitally controlled pots for volume control, I was looking at something like the ISL22346 as it has I2C for the pic microcontroller.

Obviously I have allot of blanks to fill in which begins with this, if I have 4 common inputs which are switched to 6 different zones with their own line level volume control after the switch and each of which has its own amplifier, do I need some sort of isolation/ amplification of the sources so that when I change the volume switch channels on the various zones I don't distort the signal going to the amplifiers.

Sorry its a bit long winded and feel free to fire any suggestions at me, I am at the early stages of this and appreciate any input.

Hide this!Advertise here!