WTA : The best way to take analog signal directly from Laptop - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
redsky is offline redsky  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Question WTA : The best way to take analog signal directly from Laptop

Hi guys

I really curious how to take directly analog signal from PC/Laptop (without DAC).

Does it isolation transformer is the best way to take directly analog audio signal from pc ? it's realy can supply a clean signal ?

Many thanks before
Old 24th October 2013, 08:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
As a laptop is isolated from the mains power source (double insulated power supply) and effectively "floating" the headphone output is the most logical way to extract analogue audio with no need for isolation through transformers etc.
Old 24th October 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Directly plugging into the headphone jack will probably be all that is needed - maybe try the line out jack if there is one. If the noise level seems to be higher than you would expect from listening on headphones you might try a proper audio isolation transformer with an electrostatic screen between primary and secondary. Connect the screen to your external audio gear ground connection. The pc is a hotbed of electronic noise and although it is usually reasonably well confined inside the pc case it can get out via interconnect cables.
Old 24th October 2013, 09:42 AM   #4
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

What do you mean by a "clean signal"? Laptops may use a Class D amp so the audio might be accompanied by high frequency stuff. Laptop headphone amps are probably not selected for their ultimate audio performance so it all depends what your aim is.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Anatoly is offline Anatoly  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Even if you use a very high quality transformer, then no unique connection scheme will not help to get even the sound of average quality.
Old 1st November 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatoly View Post
Even if you use a very high quality transformer, then no unique connection scheme will not help to get even the sound of average quality.
But it will still isolate you from awful noise from the laptop's PSU. Some laptops are noisy, others are not. I know a couple of audio pro's that use their laptops solely on battery to avoid ground problems.

Personally, I prefer [digital] optical in/out on computers because it isolates from grounding problems.
Old 1st November 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've tried a variety of laptops in my main audio system, and while some weren't bad, some really were awful sounding.

The solution was to use a USB DAC. You can get anything from a $20 cheap one to as much as you are able to spend. Even the cheapest one was a vast improvement over what was in my old Toshiba laptop. On a par with my really ancient Compaq (so ancient, I think it has a -486 in it)
Old 1st November 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
The solution was to use a USB DAC. You can get anything from a $20 cheap one to as much as you are able to spend.
+1

Laptop sound devices are designed to provide some sort of sound output, with the main design considerations being minimization of cost, space and energy consumption. Apart from design issues, analog circuitry in a Laptop suffers from the physical proximity to digital HF stuff and PC-related noise sources.

The only way to get a decend audio signal out of a mobile PC is to use an external (USB) DAC, I think.

Rundmaus
Old 19th November 2013, 12:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi All...

Many thanks for all respons...
Actually I was got a cheap USB to SPDIF converter (with PCM2704 ) two years ago...
So in my subjective listening.. that sounds too light ( too digitaly i mean ) even is clean....

Now, I try make some passive filter to take sound directly from my laptop. I think the sounds is good. Just try to play with some capacitor and resistor divider. I connect it to Phono line in my TEAC AR-500 Amp.

This is the schematic. You all can try this for a cheap way .

Click the image to open in full size.

Regards...
Old 19th November 2013, 05:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passive Filter for PC.JPG (12.6 KB, 53 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!