WTA : The best way to take analog signal directly from Laptop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Directly plugging into the headphone jack will probably be all that is needed - maybe try the line out jack if there is one. If the noise level seems to be higher than you would expect from listening on headphones you might try a proper audio isolation transformer with an electrostatic screen between primary and secondary. Connect the screen to your external audio gear ground connection. The pc is a hotbed of electronic noise and although it is usually reasonably well confined inside the pc case it can get out via interconnect cables.

Even if you use a very high quality transformer, then no unique connection scheme will not help to get even the sound of average quality.

But it will still isolate you from awful noise from the laptop's PSU. Some laptops are noisy, others are not. I know a couple of audio pro's that use their laptops solely on battery to avoid ground problems.

Personally, I prefer [digital] optical in/out on computers because it isolates from grounding problems.

I've tried a variety of laptops in my main audio system, and while some weren't bad, some really were awful sounding.

The solution was to use a USB DAC. You can get anything from a $20 cheap one to as much as you are able to spend. Even the cheapest one was a vast improvement over what was in my old Toshiba laptop. On a par with my really ancient Compaq (so ancient, I think it has a -486 in it)

The solution was to use a USB DAC. You can get anything from a $20 cheap one to as much as you are able to spend.

+1

Laptop sound devices are designed to provide some sort of sound output, with the main design considerations being minimization of cost, space and energy consumption. Apart from design issues, analog circuitry in a Laptop suffers from the physical proximity to digital HF stuff and PC-related noise sources.

The only way to get a decend audio signal out of a mobile PC is to use an external (USB) DAC, I think.

Rundmaus

Hi All...

Many thanks for all respons...
Actually I was got a cheap USB to SPDIF converter (with PCM2704 ) two years ago...
So in my subjective listening.. that sounds too light ( too digitaly i mean :) ) even is clean....

Now, I try make some passive filter to take sound directly from my laptop. I think the sounds is good. Just try to play with some capacitor and resistor divider. I connect it to Phono line in my TEAC AR-500 Amp.

This is the schematic. You all can try this for a cheap way :) .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards...

Schematic

Attachments

• Passive Filter for PC.JPG
    Passive Filter for PC.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 96
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Mooly... Actualy I add small lamp (24 volt) betwen them (on line in) act as resistor :D . sound more warm and punchy... believe me.... :)

I'll take your word for that :) Any filter like you have shown is totally dependent on whatever drives it. The output impedance of the stage driving it determines the response, which isn't ideal really. If its a one off design though and it works for you then that's great.

I'll take your word for that :) Any filter like you have shown is totally dependent on whatever drives it. The output impedance of the stage driving it determines the response, which isn't ideal really. If its a one off design though and it works for you then that's great.

This is what I mean.

Note : I'm really newbie in electronics thing. So I can't explain in theoritical how its work. :D Just really play and try...

Attachments

• Passive Filter for PC.JPG
    Passive Filter for PC.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 99
I'm puzzled: why do you want to be proved 'wrong'?

You have an unusual circuit which you like the sound of. Provided you are not claiming that it is more accurate than a more conventional circuit designed by someone who can explain how it works there is nothing to prove or disprove - you are merely expressing a preference.

Hahaha... its mean i want some body to trying and explain my cct.....:eek:

It might have been easier to just say so.

Your circuit appears to be transformer coupled, with the primary including (for some unknown reason) both a DC path and a lamp. Both of these could increase distortion - it would depend on the signal level and whether the transformer can cope with DC. The secondary circuit has DC isolation and a small amount of attenuation. Nothing in this circuit will improve the sound from the laptop - in the sense that it will correct some problem. The most that it will do is isolate grounds, which may be helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.