Trying to make a music server out of a Dell PE1850

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a Dell Power Edge 1850 server(thanks Frank) to use as a music server. Looking forward to getting it into my system. the specs are; 2x 3.0Ghz Xeons, 4 GB of Ram, Server 2003 standard, dual power supplies, 2 146GB drives in raid1. I'll hook up my 1.5TB full of music to it and run it wireless to my computer and my wifes computer then hard wire it to my main system. I am also trading in my phone for the new Galaxy Note 3 and will use that when at my main system for remote desktop. Does all this sound do-able? I, for the most part, know how to turn a computer on and off so this should be a real experience. More to come

It does not have a sound card or a wireless adapter. I was thinking of getting a USB sound card and USB wireless adapter. Is that the best way to go?

Since you're running a server with Xeon cpu's, and running Windows Server 2003, get prepared for a lot of hardware not running well on it. Many of the better USB sound cards won't work well on a Xeon-based PC. Remember that a server is optimized for dishing out data to lots of client computers accessing it over a (presumably Ethernet) network. I've seen some USB sound cards work in that kind of a setup, but with glitches in the audio due to interruptions in data flow to the motherboard USB (bus).

That said, it might work with a USB DAC or sound card. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

Does this PC's motherboard have PCI or PCI-e slots?

--

It looks like bad news. For expansion slots, it says:

"Two total: two PCI-X® slots (1 x 64-bit/133MHz and 1 x 64-bit/100MHz)
or two PCI Express™ slots (1 x 4 lane and 1 x 8 lane)"

Translation: It looks like it has two slots that will accept a PCIe (PCI Express) sound card. The PCI-X slots are for video cards, afaik.

You should be able to add a PCIe sound card to it, using its PCI Express ports.

I did a search for "USB" in the specsheet and came up with... 0 of 0.
It does not have USB. You cannot connect USB devices (USB DAC, external sound card, thumb drives, external hard drives) to this PC unless you add a PCIe card with USB ports.

The only hard drive interface is:
"Embedded single channel Ultra320 SCSI"

Translation: It can't accept SATA hard drives (the ones you'll find for cheap at your local Best Buy or Micro Center). It also can't accept the old PATA (IDE or ATA) drives that were so common only five years ago.

--

Last edited:
Hmm, guess I am losing my mind because I was sure I replied earlier... :)

Anyway, the server you have does not sound that well suited for this application to be honest. I don't know if you have powered it up yet but it is quite a loud machine since it is designed to be racked in a server room. Its is an older design when power consumption was not as much of a consideration so your electrical running costs might be a bit much.

That said, as long as you have drivers for the hardware you plan on using it seems like it would work.

PCI-x is found on servers and provide a high bandwidth bus. I don't believe there are any PCI-x video cards.
PCI-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What music server software were you planning on running?

Dennis, this is Pat from RCC. I assume you got this server from the SMAC email.

Do you have a DAC? What inputs does it have? SPDIF/USB? Getting a DAC connected between the server and your system would be best. You can then run XBMC or another media player of your choice.

Hi Pat, good to hear from you. Last winter I sold two DAC that I thought I'd never use again....big mistake. I'll probably order another Maverick D1. It has SPDIF, USB, RCA and mini-jack for Smart phones. It will also act as my Pre-amp until I can figure out where the hum is coming from in them Low_Mu tube pre. I don't have optical out on the server or I would run optical to the Maverick. Dennis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.