Wandboard: music server and streamer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apparently wandboard is not too popular on our diy forum. It's had been mentioned briefly in some threads but not too much coverage and implementation. There is huge community developing os and supporting wandboard on slim devices forum. But knowing capability expertise of this forum members I d think it would be good to discuss it here too. Point me out if I have missed something and it is covered already.
This small board can be very good base for music system indeed.

Last edited:
Few questions. I am working toward what I imagine will probably be a Wandboard system so I tried an experiment.

On one PC I installed LMS and Squeezelite under Debian. Got it working properly and playing Pandora, yay me :)

On a second Windows PC I attempted to setup Sqeezelite, which LMS saw but I was at a loss as to what to do with it at that point.

On the way to diagnosing that I discovered UPnP/DLNA. I configured that in Windows Media Player and can see LMS in the WMP libary. If I had any media in the LMS I guess I would be able to play it remotely via the Windows PC. Good...

...but what I really want the Wandbnoard/LMS device to do is be a remote receiver that plays anything playing on the Windows PC. So as if the Wandboard was an audio output device in Windows. If that makes sense, how would I achieve that?

If I understand DNLA corectly:

DLNA Server on PC
DLNA Controler on PC
DLNA Renderer on Wandboard/LMS/?

Don't you think giving wb remote control and leaving it alone (hooked up to nas or hdd) would be better, instead of doubling chain ?
You can control it with:
Remote IR control
Tablet/app
Keyboard
And it bypasses PC altogether.

Yes of course but I want both!

I definitely do what just what you say using the LMS system for everything it can do.

However, my audio system has to serve many needs - having the flexibility of using another PC as a source/controller would fit those needs. For one example if my wife wants to watch a Amazon or Netflix movie in her web browser on her laptop ideally it would be able to handle that.

Well the folks over at slimdevices shot down my streaming DLNA idea. The main issues with feasibility being around latency and sync. Oh well.

Still quite interested in giving the WB a try. Does anyone know if there would be an issue connecting it to the digital input on a Hypex AS2.100 (obviously using an optical to coax converter between them)?

Just FYI: Community Squeeze, an community driven player/server solution based on the open source parts of LMS, with a custom high quality DAC board being developed as well.

kudos for the carrier board but I prefer a simple debian + mpd/alsa and sox without any running webservers and connected daemons. you can add your features when the need arises.

if the driver for carrier board will be open source as well it will be no problem to use it with any distribution

kudos for the carrier board but I prefer a simple debian + mpd/alsa and sox without any running webservers and connected daemons. you can add your features when the need arises.

if the driver for carrier board will be open source as well it will be no problem to use it with any distribution
I can't say with 100% certainty if this driver will be open source, but I believe it will be, as all other parts of the software are. To know the scope exactly, I'd suggest you contact the developers.

The project is alive and kicking. The only difference is that they choose to change the underlying linux distribution and the way that they are installing the packages.
You will have to install the underlying linux by your self and do a step by step installation and configuration of packages if I understand correctly.

About the old project: there are a lot of gray areas that were not openly discussed so ...

Announce: Squeeze on Arch - developer version

and again this is only one way to do things on wandboard you can choose another ways. The wandboard community is quite small and you can look around for more active communities (cubie, beaglebone black or cubox)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.