What happens when 44.1 plays at 192khz? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
jkorten is offline jkorten  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What happens when 44.1 plays at 192khz?

I have a USB to S/PDIF converter (musical fidelity) that I play my digital audio through. I use Clementine connected to jack (interface qjackctl). The trouble is clementine doesn't seem to signal jack to switch sample rates - so I put the settings for SR at 192kHz for the output device in qjackctl. The 192kHz light illuminates on the vlink192 but I'm not sure what is happening when my normal 44.1kHz files are playing. Does clementine insert 3 more samples at the same level for each 44.1k sample?

Similarly - if I hook up to a 96kHz dac (musicstreamer - when on the road) does clementine do the down sampling from 192kHz to 96? Or does jack just take every other sample?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry
Old 16th August 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

AFAIK jack operates at fixed samplerate, specified at jackd startup. Any application has to resample to this common samplerate.

But the first question is why do you need jack? Going straight to alsa would give you automatic switching the soundcard samplerate according to parameters of the currently played track.
Old 17th August 2013, 02:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, I evidently mistakenly understood that alsa did not switch sample rates. I will try this and feed back. BTW it is an external USB device, not a sound card. Thanks for the tip.
Old 17th August 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alsa is the driver + basic userspace libs layer for linux sound support. Sound servers, such as jack or pulseaudio, use alsa to access audio devices. They do not replace alsa, they build on top of it. Applications can output to alsa directly, or to these upper layers.

Jack is a framework for low-latency chaining audio applications in audio production and processing. It brings no benefit to simple audio playback.
Old 21st August 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Can you get ALSA to play .wav files?

Attempting to use TINY LINUX, ALSA, and DeaDBeeF and it will not play .wav.

Plays FLAC without protest.

Some think this is because of ALSA but I am not sure.

Please let me know your experience.

Thanks,
Old 21st August 2013, 10:57 PM   #6
mxb is offline mxb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post

Plays FLAC without protest.

Please let me know your experience.

Thanks,
I very much doubt it will be ALSA. To confirm, open a terminal and use aplay to play a .wav file directly to the hardware. Something like:

Code:
aplay -f cd -Dhw:0,1 somefile.wav
Assuming 16 bit 44.1kHz wav file and your hardware is hw:0,1. You can use
Code:
aplay -l
to list hardware devices.

If the file plays using aplay, then you may have a deadbeef plugin issue or a libsndfile issue.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
What does it say (screenshot, copy of log,...)?

Quote:
In linux there is no need to just "think", it is not a black box like closed-source OSes. In linux there are countless ways to troubleshoot the problem, find real cause, eventually fix it.

To get back to your problem, it is definitely not caused by alsa which sits below the audio format conversion layer. If you give enough information, I am sure your problem will be resolved quickly. My 2cents is the extended wav format incorrectly recognized by your player.
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well - reporting back - ALSA will not allow me to play high sample rate files. I open alsamixer and select my external USB connected dac as the sound card and when I try to play a high sample rate file, nothing comes out. (Using FLAC format files by the way.)

Last edited by jkorten; 23rd August 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The command line alsamixer does not select your soundcard for playback. It is used for setting controls of specific cards. You have to set your required card in your playback app.

Let's start from the very first step. Please put here output of aplay -l.
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK I will modify my last observation. I configure clementine to use the ALSA output sink (configure alsamixer in a terminal window to select the USB device as sound card for playback) or Pulse Audio and then when I select 96K files my music library they play at 48K, some don't play at all (?) and 44.1 files show up as 44.1 and all play. 192k files play back at 48k.

I guess I will need to do some high sample rate recordings of sine waves and play back on my oscilloscope to verify that the system even plays back the high sample rate files correctly using the jack sink.

Hide this!Advertise here!