diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os.html)

Kipeta 30th July 2013 01:17 PM

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Call for testers!

Daphile is an audiophile class music server & player OS targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Features
  • Headless music server OS
  • Bitperfect and gapless playback of common audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
  • Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
  • Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
  • CD ripping with automatic metadata tagging and cover art
  • Supports external file servers as music source (CIFS, NFS, sshfs & ftp)
  • Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
  • WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
  • Software update via web interface
  • Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB
Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux.

Get more info and downloads at www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

rondadon 31st July 2013 08:39 AM

Hi there!

It is very interesting. I would test it right away but on a headless ARM Device! Would it be possible to make an image or repository for Devices like Seagate DOckstar/GoFlex Net and other devices based on this ARM architecture?

Do you have any documentation about this Project? What are you usin as OS? Debian?
Thanks in advance.

Ron!

Kipeta 1st August 2013 05:18 PM

Hi,

Current focus is on 64bit x86 hardware. I think the fanless Atom boards are great for this purpose.

This is not directly based on any existing distribution. This is more like an embedded system image that is compiled in Gentoo environment. I try to update the web pages in near future to provide more info.

Thanks for the interest.

i2k92 2nd August 2013 01:55 AM

I would propose to add mpd daemon.

Kipeta 3rd August 2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2k92 (Post 3581824)
I would propose to add mpd daemon.

I must say that I'm not very familiar with mpd. What would be the added functionality or value? Based on a quick look it kind of felt to me as an alternative solution.

If it integrates well with Squeezebox server and Squeezeplay combination and provides some additional value I'm happy to consider including it.

Kipeta 3rd August 2013 12:16 PM

New test release image (with some bug fixes) and new web page are now available.

www.daphile.com

i2k92 3rd August 2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipeta (Post 3583407)
New test release image (with some bug fixes) and new web page are now available.

www.daphile.com

Wow that's very nice web interface.

BTW, mpd is useful for somebody who don't like to use squeeze protocol.

hajj 4th August 2013 09:32 AM

Great project!
I had been looking for similar solution for the better part of two years....
I wish i hadn't repurposed my pc to a file server.
What are the requirements in terms of hardware? OS?

rondadon 4th August 2013 12:15 PM

Yeah, also prefer mpd! Very easy to implement and also offers bitperf.. Need to check the Web Interface!

Kipeta 4th August 2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hajj (Post 3584226)
What are the requirements in terms of hardware? OS?

It's currently available only for 64bit x86 processors. I would guess that 512MB-1GB memory would be enough. I have run it in VMPlayer with just 256MB memory. Hard disk is not required. You can run it perfectly fine from 2GB USB Flash Drive.

I would recommend something like Atom N2600 (with 1GB RAM or maybe 2GB). It's really low power CPU. I have used by myself the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B which is very nice fanless barebone and its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

Daphile is based on Linux but it does not require any Linux skills because everything is supposed to be done through the web interface.