Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I've started using Tidal with Daphile and get stuttering every 10 seconds for 2 or more seconds. When I use Tidal on my PC, which is on the same LAN as Daphile, there is no issue. My ISP ping is 11ms, upload 200mbs and download 20mbs (measured using speedtest.net on my pc). Daphile is connected to a gigabit network with a static IP address. I have tried changing streaming buffers on mysqueezebox with no change. Note I have similar issues with some radio stations. I note that whereas on some stations on my Squeezebox boom I get 128kbps, on Daphile I only get 64kbps. A friend, for whom I have configured a similar Daphile config, is on a 4G wireless network (44Mbs) and does not get stuttering.

I had an idea and changed my upsampling rate from DSD512 to DSD256 which seems to have fixed the problem. But what I don't understand is why the predictable 10 seconds !!!

Last edited:
My thinking is having something that uses little power. I think a more powerful processor might need more juice? I'd also like to be able to dual boot is as a media server so that it can cast movies to my TV.

I use a NUC-like PC of TronSmart with a J1900 CPU. I can play everything HiRes and even DSD128 without problems. Check on GeekBying com for affordable NUC-like systems.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My Daphile PC is a six-year old Bay Trail Atom and it handles ever single file I can play just fine. The only issues I've had were not related to hardware, but remote directory access and very long library rescans, which were gradually solved.

I still have an issue where Daphile and a different LMS installation will conflict when looking at the same source directories for their libraries. Again, nothing to do with hardware.

A couple of quick questions: First, how does Daphile "know" the capability of the USB interface/DAC being used? I currently have a stand alone Amanero-based interface box feeding a 9038Pro DAC, both of which appear to be capable of DSD256 or DSD512, but when I try to change the settings in Daphile (latest non-beta firmware) to use one of those as the default Daphile output, they are greyed out and unavailable.

Second, and possibly related, I guess, is what is the latest recommendation on Daphile, Amanero, and firmware for DSD? I have updated the firmware to a recent version (but perhaps not the latest) but there has appeared to be some debate, over many months, about DSD and Linux on the Amanero platform. Is there a current working solution? If so, might I ask for info on firmware version, including upgrade steps for firmware and configuration bits?

Thanks in advance - Pat

how does Daphile "know" the capability of the USB interface/DAC being used?

If the USB device reports USB IDs Amanero card now supporting DSD native * Issue #12 * lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd * GitHub known to linux alsa sound/quirks.c at master * tiwai/sound * GitHub , the driver offers new usb altset with DSD format (see the listing of stream0 for amanero at Allo Sparky USBridge - Page 17 - General Topics - Computer Audiophile ). Altset 2 (format DSD_U32_BE) at rate 768000 should correspond to DSD512.

Last edited:
I wonder whether anyone can help... I've been using Daphile happily for several years on an old but silent and low power VIA M10000. I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware 18.07, and it wouldn't work - wouldn't load media server. So I assumed it was just too low-powered hardware and went back to 17.09.

Just bought Atom N2800 mobo, 2GB RAM, 128 GB mSATA SSD, tried again. Still hangs on "loading media server", but fine on 17.09, even on 64 bit. I note that Zeus-admin on port 9090 isn't loaded on 18.07, maybe because of the possible security vulnerability - but is this why it isn't loading? Am I doing something wrong?

If I reset to default firmware settings on 18.07 it will load media server first time, but if I shut down and restart, eg to configure network drive, or set up static IP, it hangs again.

Thanks for any help anyone can give, and apologies if this has been covered - I can't find it.

Sorry - another question. I thought this new installation (17.09 64 bit, RTC) was working fine, but I can't get to the plugins page. Any other page on the Advanced Media Server settings page is fine, but nothing happens when i try to connect to the Plugins page. Any ideas what i might be doing wrong?
Thanks.
Mark

I am using this one with great success:
@James BW: I am using PC GIGABYTE BRIX ( Braswell Celeron N3000 1.04GHz, 1x DDR3 8GB max, HDD 2.5 inch, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, VGA, USB 3.0.) As it comes naked, I just bought also:
- SSD ADATA SU800 128GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
- Maxtor M3 Portable 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0
Works like a champ!

My 1.5Tb music collection is on the internal disk drive of the Daphile PC. Now I want to make a copy of this entire collection to an USB disk drive. With the USB drive connected directly to the Daphile PC, for some reason the copying process is very slow. I use the copy command of Windows Explorer on a Windows PC that is in the network. Copying speed is about 2Mb/sec. So this might take a while…..
There should be faster ways to copy the data! Any recommendations?