Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Thank you, how many GB of RAM?

I have 8gb ram in a single bank but rarely exceed 2gb. Whether you need more depends if you want to make use of the play from RAM drive. I would suggest min 4GB, 8GB if you can afford it.

I run daphile from a 128gb m.2 ssd but again probably only require 32GB.

I configured the computer so I could load windows which I will probably never do.

the dsd512 cpu with the i7 load varies from 4 to 6 (peak would be 8), depending on the intensity of the music being played, orchestral being the most demanding.

Note the i7 can run 60c or higher. I tick some of the power settings (eg. wifi and video) to reduce the load (now runs 50c). I use a zalman cnps7700 which is very silent. Board is a gigabyte itx ga b250n phoenix wifi. case is an antec isk 310-150

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Shared drive problems

I had a listening session on Thursday with the system, everything going smoothly. Neither Daphile nor the server (with the windows shares) were shut down afterwards. Today neither Squeezer would connect nor would the media server page load. Shared drives were no longer recognised (there is no local storage). Warm reboot and cold reboot were tried with no success. The server would come up, but the drives were not recognised.

The player still connects to another LMS server if required, and works correctly in that case (I haven't played music through it but the server correctly recognises the player and attached devices). I has some severe problems connecting Daphile to a Linux-based server, so I reconfigured the server to run Windows 7 and it worked for a while.

It seems the networking is getting more and more broken with newer Daphile versions (or Windows updates) as I never had this problem with old versions. I may have to stop using it because it's getting worse by the day.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 209
Check the integrity of 192.168.100.50 system and data. Is this a static address? New versions of lms may be sensitive to corrupt data which could be why the mediaserver fails to load. I would suggest you start with a review of the log files. I have had no issues with the latest release.

I also have no issues using daphile to connect to another daphile system configured with local data that is shared on the network.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is nothing changed between the working session and the broken one. Nothing was even powered off - it's a total mystery. I will try restarting everything once, but I have no other paths to even explore as a starting point.

I would start from your information that the same problem with networking happens in linux as well as windows on the same hardware.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Triplefun, I will restart all devices and run a disk check, but LMS on the server is working fine off the same folders. Ditto with ARM-based installs (eg Volumio, Moode), which can see and interact with the shared folders perfectly.

@phofman, an older Armbian/Linux server was not visible to many clients and was wreaking havoc with the system - so I dumped it and have no Linux server or client anymore apart from Volumio and Moode - both of which connect to the same network shares with absolutely zero issues (some installs need the explicit 'vers=2.1' flag to work correctly). So no, there is no problem with the network regardless of operating system.

To sum up, it's exclusively Daphile that has the problem, and only the server side - LMS running on the Windows server can connect to the Daphile devices fine and playback also works great - though for that server the folders are local resources rather than networked.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Exactly, yes.

The one strange detail is that the whole system was running just fine three days ago - the last playback session was on Thursday and there were no updates or changes over the last few days to precipitate any issues. It happened all by itself. No changes to the drives, no restarts and no power outages. If there were any outages that slipped my attention (eg while sleeping), there is battery backup on every network device as well as server and client. Since clients and servers are not set to auto-restart, I would have noticed if an event like that had occurred.

The first version of Daphile I ever used was 16.07rt and that worked flawlessly, worst case I'll have to reinstall that. I currently have 16.12rt which is behaving very badly.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In daphile, try going to the info tab and look at the logs for media server and media scanner. That will point you to a starting point for research hopefully.

I have had a lot of problems getting it to recognize my Ubuntu server (I use nfs). The same file paths don't work after half an hour of trial and error, then they just start working. But once it works, it seems to keep working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180624-120716.png
    Screenshot_20180624-120716.png
    864.1 KB · Views: 170
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What about windows updates?

No patch Tuesdays between Thursday and today so no, no updates.

In daphile, try going to the info tab and look at the logs for media server and media scanner. That will point you to a starting point for research hopefully.

I have had a lot of problems getting it to recognize my Ubuntu server (I use nfs). The same file paths don't work after half an hour of trial and error, then they just start working. But once it works, it seems to keep working.

Mine were working fine and just stopped all by themselves. Extremely strange. Proceeding to restart everything tomorrow morning.

Just as a note though, I have auto rescan disabled as my library is over 60k tracks and takes 4h+ to complete. Not keen to have to do that every single time I start Daphile.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Daphile PC itself is wireless, but I can see the admin pages so network for Daphile side is OK. Also the server (wired) is visible to all other clients and shared folders work well, so that side is OK too.

I restarted the network devices and server and booted Daphile after 4 hours off. Result is it seems to be working now but I'm going to leave it like this for a few days again and see if I can reproduce the issue.

As you can see, I have changed nothing at all except remove some of the alternate access credentials and paths I had added to try to get the thingy to work correctly.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 165