Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

fccn75: Very good, now post output of

amixer -c 1 contents

Please copy the text from terminal as code here, do not make screenshots.

Thank you for your guidance! Here is amixer contents:

Simple mixer control 'PCM' , 0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Clock Source 18 Validity' ,0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]

Quick question folks. I have just migrated from vortexbox to daphil and am loving it.
One thing I would like to do and I can't remember if it was possible on vortexbox or not.
Can I stop LMS from rescanning every time I move, change anything in my library?
I'm experimenting with various places to keep my library at the moment and want to get everything set up then manually initiate a rescan.
Can't see it anywhere. Is it possible?

fccn75:

Thanks. I am a bit surprised the USB device defines almost no controls. On the other hand it is a very simple interface.

Now let's try playing some track directly to your soundcard.

Please post output and result of command:

Code:
aplay -v -D plughw:1 some_48k_16bit_stereo.wav

It should play the track to your SPDIF output.

Quick question folks. I have just migrated from vortexbox to daphil and am loving it.
One thing I would like to do and I can't remember if it was possible on vortexbox or not.
Can I stop LMS from rescanning every time I move, change anything in my library?
I'm experimenting with various places to keep my library at the moment and want to get everything set up then manually initiate a rescan.
Can't see it anywhere. Is it possible?

Yes, it's possible: try Advance Media Server Settings>Advance>Performance, set Automatically Detect Changes to Disabled Manually Scan, Apply, Close. Restart Daphile.

fccn75:

Thanks. I am a bit surprised the USB device defines almost no controls. On the other hand it is a very simple interface.

Now let's try playing some track directly to your soundcard.

Please post output and result of command:

Code:
aplay -v -D plughw:1 some_48k_16bit_stereo.wav

It should play the track to your SPDIF output.

Just to clarify, I presume that a song file has to be loaded so I placed a test file in RAM initially. hen I ssh into Daphile with "aplay -v -D plughw:1 These_Eyes.flac"

Daphile came up as "aplay: main:786: audio open error: Device or resource busy"

Next, I initiated play in audio player with the same file from RAM. GUI shows it's playing, so I set the command again, "aplay -v -D plughw:1 These_Eyes.flac"

Same result came up.

The aplay command is a standalone playback utility - look up man aplay on google. Other playback processes must be inactive to release the sound device. The error explains it clear - the audio device is already busy, i.e. taken by a different process.

Just type path to any wav file within the filesystem.

Plus it must be wav format, not flac. Please use google to look up details of what the commands do.

The aplay command is a standalone playback utility - look up man aplay on google. Other playback processes must be inactive to release the sound device. The error explains it clear - the audio device is already busy, i.e. taken by a different process.

Just type path to any wav file within the filesystem.

Plus it must be wav format, not flac. Please use google to look up details of what the commands do.

Thanks, Phofman, I decided that I'm too much of an idiot to relearn command lines and just wanted to listen to music. I'm putting Daphile aside for now until more time is spent configuring and learning the CL.

On a whim, decided to try Volumio and no problems! After install to same low power atom 2800, it recognized Schiit Eitr and plays wonderfully!

So for now, Volumio for me until later on...

I have been reading on other forums that moOde and Volumio sound better than Daphile. But I am at a loss as to why this would be so.

Anyone here agree with the above or have any reason why this would be so?

I can only comment that with either one if set up correctly i.e bit-perfect bypassed any internal os mixers, it ought to be identical.

I tried Daphile with Schiit Modi with bitperfect and compared to the recent Volumio also no hardward mixer selected. Cannot detect on my ears any differences with a flac file I'm intimately familiar with, just mho.

I can only comment that with either one if set up correctly i.e bit-perfect bypassed any internal os mixers, it ought to be identical.

I tried Daphile with Schiit Modi with bitperfect and compared to the recent Volumio also no hardward mixer selected. Cannot detect on my ears any differences with a flac file I'm intimately familiar with, just mho.
Exactly what I suspected.

Well, all I can say that Daphile sounded pretty bad on a marginal PC over USB and Volumio worked great. I reailze this is probably a hardware-specific isolated case but it is possible others who make such claims had similar possibly less extreme issues. I have since switched to better hardware and Daphile has been working like a champ, I however didn't try Volumio again.

I have the latest beta and tried experimenting with the DSD DAC phase response filters to see if I could hear a difference. Options are Linear, Intermediate and Minimum. When set to Minimum and playing music with loud high frequency content I blew both fuses on my Maggie 1.7 speakers and also knocked out one of my mono block power amps. Someone suggested this may have been due to the excessive high energy content being output by the DAC. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Quantization noise is unavoidable. No matter what format you digitize in, ultrasonic artifacts are created. The more bits you have, the lower the noise floor. Noise floor is lowered by roughly 6db for each bit. So as you can imagine, 1-bit DSD has significantly more ultrasonic noise than even 16-bit PCM.

It was this ultrasonic noise that caused the trip.

Direct Stream Digital - Wikipedia

The DSD v PCM at the end of the article is very interesting.

Last edited: