Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi,

why did you promote Squeezelite as default player? Just asking, haven't tried it yet.

I will update Daphile later today.

Thanks

Squeezelite and Squeezeplay should not have any difference in sound quality - both can do bit perfect playback. Squeezelite is more advanced for DSD files in DoP-mode because it can fill pause gaps with DSD silence which means that DAC does not unnecessarily switch between DSD and PCM mode. Squeezelite is also more actively developed - Triode is doing great job. I have included both players also in order to find any possible differences (and bugs).

problem solved, whew!

Have you gotten rid of the "clicking"? If yes did you find the reason?

I don't have any idea what could cause it. What kind of click was it exactly? Frequency of clicking?

Kipeta, the clicking was not Daphile related. It was my $40 DAC and it's additional USB isolator. I noticed some strange behavior syncing it with the Cambridge DAC. When the $40 DAC was disconnected the clicking disappeared. I was not using the DAC, but it was connected to the Daphile laptop.

Turns out that an unselected but attached DAC can affect sound.

Cheers, Mack

Hi Kipeta - I notice earlier in the thread you mentioned DAPHILE would suit the Atom N2600. I have an old Toshiba WT200 which I don't use, it's a small tablet has Win 7 on it, but it's not good for Windows based tasks, even JRIVER is quite slow. I also took the CPU cooler fan out of the tablet because it was so loud and high pitched.

So, in the end, I think without the fan, it's probably quite a good device to try DAPHILE. Do I download the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

Ok well I went ahead and tried the 32 bit version in any case as the Toshiba BIOS is for a 32 bit system.

DAPHILE is fantastic, so easy to use! An absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I notice that each time I re-start the system, the default boot is Windows. In fact, it keeps bypassing the boot screen unless I force the boot menu.

Is there a way to remove Windows altogether and simply have DAPHILE running?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok well I went ahead and tried the 32 bit version in any case as the Toshiba BIOS is for a 32 bit system.

DAPHILE is fantastic, so easy to use! An absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I notice that each time I re-start the system, the default boot is Windows. In fact, it keeps bypassing the boot screen unless I force the boot menu.

Is there a way to remove Windows altogether and simply have DAPHILE running?

You will need to use a partition manager/editor to blow away the windows partition completely - you end up with a HD with no partitions at all. Then boot with the Daphile USB drive, connect to the management web-GUI and then you can install Daphile directly to the blank HD. This way you will no longer need the USB drive and Daphile will boot every time.

New version available!

CHANGES on the May 14th 2014 version:
  • RT-kernel upgraded to 3.12.19-rt30. RT 3.12 series reached stable status. KNOWN ISSUE: Some AMD multicore CPUs don't boot without C1E disabled in the BIOS settings (same problem with RT 3.10 series).
  • Backport patch for USB audio driver: Improve buffer size computations for USB PCM audio (no more nrpacks kernel driver parameter).
  • Option to initialize a new empty data drive in Settings -> Storage.
  • DFF ID3 tag scanning fixed. "Clear library and rescan everything" required.
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Kipeta, did you consider using a regular kernel which has always been less problematic than the RT one? What is the advantage of the RT kernel in your scenario?

Yes, I have considered it. The original reason for choosing the RT kernel was that I had two repeatable test cases where I had some USB audio problems with the standard kernel. The first one was that the high resolution file (192kHz/24bit PCM) playback on USB DAC was disrupted when making the firmware upgrade (it uses multithreaded rsync locally). The second problem was related to using USB harddrive together with USB DAC and if I remember right it happened during LMS library scanning or when the USB HDD was hotplugged (or both; haven't tested this for a while). I had also more than one players running on those cases and I was trying to push the limits (and manage to break it with standard kernel). So it seemed to me that RT kernel gives better response to audio HW because it managed to solve those problems. BTW. I used "threadirqs" with the standard kernel.

I was once returning to standard kernel but because the above mentioned problems re-emerged I decided to stay on RT-kernel. I must admit that I haven't tried the standard kernel versions 3.13-3.14.

I have also considered that maybe I should swap to standard kernel in the 32bit version (for best compatibility) and remain in RT with the 64bit version (for best performance). However I don't want to increase the number of different versions.

Pardon the noob question,
But how can one control daphile from an android phone (samsung S4 mini in my case)
what app to use?
You refer to squeezelite on the website, but it does not seem to be available on android playstore...
Thanks
I don't have any Android device by myself and can't recommend any but some options are mentioned here:
Remote control apps for Android - SqueezeboxWiki