Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Dear Julf,

This seems to be getting rather deep.

I only wished to express my opinion here and I will not enter into any discussions on subjectivity, sighted or unsighted listening or anything like that.

IMHO the latest version/s sound better - that's all I wanted to say.

Kind Regards
Royville.

There is no sound differences between 32-bit, 64-bit and rt version..
There is no sound differences between old and new sw version..
There is no sound differences when one use bitperfect..
Well your opinion, try to use the older version kernel 3.xx and the latest version kernel 4.1.3, bit perfect or not the difference is not subtle.
Try and tell me if I am crazy :) or not.

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

???

No difference..
http://www.daphile.com/download/FAQ.txt
Read answer for Q10..
Are you sure that your DAC is good enough..

Yes I am sure.
You read only or you listening also?
Daphile with the new kernel 4.xx is a step up, no contest to my ears and ears of many people that share their impressions on videohifi Italian forum.
We have about 4500 post in the daphile tread, all of us have same perceptions, daphile with newest kernel is simply superior.

In the newest kernel part of usb low level code are rewritten, you know this?

I did study the source code of usb-audio and usb-core for an older kernel a few years ago. In fact I did measure packet periodicity (which affects jitter in usb-adaptive audio) with wireshark and found the packets to be filled to optimum (48 samples for 1ms usb frame at 48kHz, 9 x 44 samples + 1 x 45 samples at 44.1kHz). Since the flow is timed by hardware clock of the usb controller, no software can do anything about that.

I know there was a refactoring/partial rewrite of the snd-usb-audio driver which improved support for the protocols, clock switching etc. Nothing to do with periodicity of the flow into the soundcard.

And only one is right.. and that's not you..
You try to explain your claims with collective forum paranoia and you don't have one proof..
First learn to switch off stupid Tapatalk notice..

Ok I don't have any mission, anyone is able to compare daphile vers 4.13 and the older version with kernel 3.xx.
You have done this? No I think
I stop here
Good things

Just wanna share some of my feelings according to the recent arguments of this latest rt kernel release.

I have been using the old version 14.08-b101214-x86_64 since 2014. The reason is that I found the version released in Sep-2014 was degraded in SQ. I came to this conclusion not only by my subjective comparison but also by the blind tests from my wife. We have had a A-B-A comparison during the test and I was the first person sharing the feelings of that version on this forum last year.

Few months later I had a big move on both hardware and BIOS settings. I upgraded my CPU from a 2-core i5 to (4-core i7-4785T@2G 35w TDP) which has a better spec than the one used by Kimmo (4-core i5-4590T@2G 35w TDP). The music indeed sounds smoother and more musical than before (blind-tested by my wife also) but was not a big jump.

The big jump was happened after another hard tuned BIOS settings. I disabled all the unused parameters and ports (e.g. USB ports, VGA etc.) to maximize the interrupt response of my system. The result was stunning and we could realize a more realistic 3D sound stage (especially on the 'deep' of stage) played by each track. The micro-dynamic was presented much more better. I have been keep using this 08-2014 version until I saw someone shared the "distant" feeling of the latest rt kernel.

Again, I performed a A-B-A demo for my wife and we played a song for female voice. Honestly we couldn't find a big improvement at first glance. We then played another instrumental song and found the obvious difference is that the transient response was much faster. The details of cymbals were much clearly presented and the outline of every single move was defined much better.

So in conclude...
1. Not only with a decent computer or DAC, the BIOS settings may play a big role in it.
2. Try listen more diff type of songs and of course play with good mastering records.
3. From my listening experience and according to some of your reviews, I believe the latest rt kernel is the best version in Daphile and may rely on much lesser in BIOS tuning.
4. ALL tests are not only subjectively commented by myself and the system config was not disclosed during the test.
5. Thanks Kimmo :D

Here is my major system config for your reference:
Player PC: i7-4785T/Asrock z87e-itx/4G DDR3 1600CL7/64G mSATA/PCIe USB2.0 with low jitter clock
USB interface: Amanero USB (femto clock)
DAC chip: Dual es9018 (femto clock) running at LLBW mode

Cheers,
Siuping