Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2014, 07:58 PM   #561
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
Anyone tried Daphile in a virtual machine using the host as the controller...? Would that even work...?
Any guidance would be most welcome..
Yep... I'm trying it using that way, and it works fine...

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daphile-VM.JPG (64.8 KB, 446 views)
Old 5th August 2014, 08:19 PM   #562
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Excellent ! I will go and experiment.... and no doubt post back several questions
Thanks for the encouraging screenies.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:51 PM   #563
diyAudio Member

I found the free Oracle Virtual Box to be the better way to virtualize Daphile... at least it is a long way better than MS Virtual PC.
Old 5th August 2014, 09:28 PM   #564
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Except that would be a wireless solution would it not...?

Looking for a local solution that involves 1 (one) device only.

One that William of Ockham and his 'whisker reduction device' would approve of...
I read and understood what you had posted. Chances are, however, that even though you do not have a local network, with router, in place, you have the ability to control the computer with Daphile running (assuming that it has a wi-fi adapter) from another device like a tablet or phone by having the Daphile computer create a hotspot. You log on, you're in business. A wireless solution for those who don't otherwise have wireless.

Not your 1 (one) device solution, of course, but if you have that, are you thinking that you'll have your laptop on your lap the entire time you're listening? Things could get a little warmish. Not to mention long wires from the computer to the sound system. That's why I was suggesting a different number of devices.
Old 6th August 2014, 02:56 AM   #565
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesguy View Post
by having the Daphile computer create a hotspot. You log on, you're in business. A wireless solution for those who don't otherwise have wireless.
Interesting idea...
I have looked through the menus in Daphile but can't find one to "create a hotspot'
As there is no ability to drop to a command line I am at a bit of a loss to know how to implement this..
Have you tried it ? A walk-through would be of help if you have the time and inclination..
Old 6th August 2014, 06:20 AM   #566
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Not all wifi cards can be switched to AP mode, at least with linux drivers.

But a simple graphical environment with the control client could be installed into gentoo. A very good opportunity to learn :-)
Old 6th August 2014, 07:37 AM   #567
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post

But a simple graphical environment with the control client could be installed into gentoo. A very good opportunity to learn :-)
Ah Sensei, perhaps a first lesson for a humble acolyte....

I am most interested to pursue your oblique references further and once empowered with a little more direction I am sure I could develope an eventual solution without further input....

but please, a few links to start me on my journey....

(Linux user here though nothing more than an honest beginner...:-) )

Last edited by DRONE7; 6th August 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 6th August 2014, 02:03 PM   #568
Kipeta is offline Kipeta  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post

I have very limited experience on different Wifi adapter (six different chipset based).
  • One Broadcom adapter does not work at all with Daphile because the firmware file may not be redistributed as part of any distro and Daphile does not support user installation of individual packages
  • One Realtek based adapter seems to support also AP mode but authentication fails always. There is probably some kind of driver problem. CLient mode works.
  • atk9k miniPCIe, Zydas ZD1211 USB and Intel 6235 miniPCIe Wifi adapter that I have work fine also in AP mode.
  • Old Intel 3945ABG adapter (miniPCIe) does not support AP mode, otherwise OK.
So three out of my six Wifi adapters work fine.

"Create Wifi hotspot" is available in the Settings only if the Wifi adapter is recognized to support AP mode.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2014-08-06 17:01:33.png (18.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 6th August 2014, 07:27 PM   #569
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"Create Wifi hotspot" is available in the Settings only if the Wifi adapter is recognized to support AP mode.
Thanks for that clarification.!
Guess I will have to use a usb stick with Daphile on it and try several laptops until I find one that has a suitable chipset.

I have (at last count) 7 laptops (scavanged from recycling depots..so most are missing something...usually a working screen..not a problem if all you want is headless....)
Given your trials so far chances are one of them may have suitable hardware.

Maybe there needs to be somewhere we can report our trials, successes and failures, to give a database of working chipsets ?
Old 6th August 2014, 10:07 PM   #570
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am most interested to pursue...
First, I do not want to intrude into kipeta's realm. We should ask him first, daphile is his project.

Should you decide to pursue this route, you will need:

1) gain remote terminal access to your daphile machine via ssh.

2) find out if daphile is a regular gentoo installation with the added software, or a modified system

3) should it be a regular gentoo distribution, learn a bit about installing new software on gentoo. You will need to install the complete graphical environment - X.org with some browser of choice for the daphile GUI. If the browser is the only windows running on your machine, you would most likely not need any desktop environment and run just the browser alone on the X server directly.

It has been a long time since I played with gentoo, I returned to debian instead. But it works fine, no worry :-)

Look at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/X_server to get some ideas of the procedures.

Perhaps kipeta will present his suggestions regarding this, again I do not want to intrude deeply this thread.

Last edited by phofman; 6th August 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!