Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Why? Do objective claims really please our ears?

No, but actual differences in performance will show up in objective results, while subjective opinions might or might not be related to actual differences in the system.

You cannot "measure" daphile for now. What is left is our impressions!

Which isn't helpful. It is like going to a car mechanic and telling him to find out why the car feels less fun to drive than yesterday.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm still very pleased with actual Daphile. Only thing I really do miss is a more comfortable way to create playlists or album collections or similar.
Kimmo still has the old versions ready for download here:
Index of /firmware/testing/old
Does anyone by coincidence have a purely subjective opinion on vortexbox' sound compared to daphile, created by just listening to music with it?

Thank you very much for the link, really appreciated.

Too slow, damn... You are NOT right :)
Hey Julf, greetings to Amsterdam, but: I really did ask for an impression. Like:
Bah, I installed Vortex Box and compared to Daphile I did not like it because it sounded somewhat more distorted. Then someone else shows up and contributes. This has nothing to do with cars. Or science. I know this is not why you are here. But I am. And from the posts I take it, other ones are too, which for me is a cool thing.

Really, it's better to fiddle with some software in your pc/laptop and find yourself what's going on.

I know it's difficult to accept that there is difference among daphile versions, or between different linux distributions.

But, unfortunately, as an ex-daphile fan, I personally found that sonics is not the highlight of daphile anymore.

After a "strange" evaluation of the Soekris diy dac (that is my opinion was quite the opposite from other friends' opinions), a persistent friend of mine persuaded me to try a well-installed foobar on Win7 machine.

Bass and dynamics came back again and music reproduction gained more weight and drama. The whole frequency spectrum was much more "clearer".

I wish i was wrong because I based a lot of dac impressions in the past on daphile (as reference software).

Too slow, damn... You are NOT right :)
Hey Julf, greetings to Amsterdam, but: I really did ask for an impression. Like:
Bah, I installed Vortex Box and compared to Daphile I did not like it because it sounded somewhat more distorted. Then someone else shows up and contributes. This has nothing to do with cars. Or science. I know this is not why you are here. But I am. And from the posts I take it, other ones are too, which for me is a cool thing.

Fair enough - but this thread is about more than just your request for impressions. Some of us are actually interested in finding out if there really is an issue with Daphile or not. And as I wrote, relying (only) on sighted, subjective evaluation is a dangerous thing.

Really, it's better to fiddle with some software in your pc/laptop and find yourself what's going on.

IMHO you are very right with this. I tried and still do try a lot of stuff, because as in subjective, you have to see for yourself. But five people considering vortex box the greatest sounding thing on earth might have convinced me to check on this earlier than I will now :)

Fair enough - but this thread is about more than just your request for impressions. Some of us are actually interested in finding out if there really is an issue with Daphile or not..
Yes - it is a lot more than my request. But the request is one small part of this thread, right? I think, you will get your own questions answered just the same. (Though I carefully suggest, you ask them first.)

Basically, if you're talking tech, or do have a serious issue, I won't hop by and discuss experiences or listening joy. I recognize people talking in their own language to each other and try not to disturb their process.
Should work the other way round. Mostly grown ups here (old at least) and enough space for all of us too.

I have tried both Vortexbox and Daphile on a few purpose built music server builds I am doing. I prefer Daphile overall because it does sound more accurate and reveals more low level detail. Both are free distributions and I'm truly amazed that players of this calibre are available to everyone to share.

The library issues are common to all music software but I think Daphile is easier to setup multiple drive options for the music library, whereas it is a bit more complicated to achieve that with Vortexbox.

...Daphile keeps crashing when indexing my music library from my Synology 413j. Daphile is attached to my 2820 via USB drive. I happens on many occasions. There are some 130,000 files and it gets to about 40,000 files and dies. Thoughts? Apologies for any oversights here as it is my first post

It happened to me too. Get the indexing service log, maybe you have some "strange" characters in some files.

I have also a Vortexbox and Daphile setup on the same computer.
Vortexbox is and was always a permanently installtion on HDD and Daphile always via USB.

In the beginning there was a difference in sound quality and I prefered Daphile for serious listening. Then I have changed my setup and installed a SSD in my system. Since then no difference at all soundwise. Used Daphile for ripping of audio CD.
In the last months I have not really compared both soundwise because there can be no difference and Daphile was only interesting for ripping. But the last views posts about sound differences and less sound quality for Daphile since October made me curious and I checked it. I found Daphile thin with less bass compared to Vortexbox.
I changed my Daphile setup to a September update and checked it again. This time I can hear no difference. But the September update has the old 7.8 LMS that Vortexbox has as well.
The LMS version propably influences the sound quality?!?

For Linux distros I would not bother about sound quality. Use whatever suits your needs in handling the software, playlists and so on. If there is a difference in sound quality it is really small and not night and day like some reports imply.
Just my experience and opinion ��

Regards
Mark