Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2014, 09:24 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

Thanks for adding upsampling and the buffer tuning parameters, initial impressions are positive.
Old 18th April 2014, 09:25 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

Thanks for adding upsampling and ALSA parameters - I will probably use Daphile as a complete solution now, rather than just a convenient LMS distro.
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:17 AM   #403
Kipeta is offline Kipeta  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flikoman View Post
Hi,

why did you promote Squeezelite as default player? Just asking, haven't tried it yet.

I will update Daphile later today.

Thanks
Squeezelite and Squeezeplay should not have any difference in sound quality - both can do bit perfect playback. Squeezelite is more advanced for DSD files in DoP-mode because it can fill pause gaps with DSD silence which means that DAC does not unnecessarily switch between DSD and PCM mode. Squeezelite is also more actively developed - Triode is doing great job. I have included both players also in order to find any possible differences (and bugs).
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:34 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply.

I've updated Daphile a few days ago and didn't notice anything "bad about it" so far, so, that's very good actually I'm very satisfied with Daphile.

Keep up the good work.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:01 PM   #405
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default problem solved, whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipeta View Post
Have you gotten rid of the "clicking"? If yes did you find the reason?

I don't have any idea what could cause it. What kind of click was it exactly? Frequency of clicking?
Kipeta, the clicking was not Daphile related. It was my $40 DAC and it's additional USB isolator. I noticed some strange behavior syncing it with the Cambridge DAC. When the $40 DAC was disconnected the clicking disappeared. I was not using the DAC, but it was connected to the Daphile laptop.

Turns out that an unselected but attached DAC can affect sound.

Cheers, Mack
Old 8th May 2014, 02:16 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Hi Kipeta - I notice earlier in the thread you mentioned DAPHILE would suit the Atom N2600. I have an old Toshiba WT200 which I don't use, it's a small tablet has Win 7 on it, but it's not good for Windows based tasks, even JRIVER is quite slow. I also took the CPU cooler fan out of the tablet because it was so loud and high pitched.

So, in the end, I think without the fan, it's probably quite a good device to try DAPHILE. Do I download the 64 bit or 32 bit version?
Old 8th May 2014, 06:28 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Ok well I went ahead and tried the 32 bit version in any case as the Toshiba BIOS is for a 32 bit system.

DAPHILE is fantastic, so easy to use! An absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I notice that each time I re-start the system, the default boot is Windows. In fact, it keeps bypassing the boot screen unless I force the boot menu.

Is there a way to remove Windows altogether and simply have DAPHILE running?

Last edited by lordearl; 8th May 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 8th May 2014, 04:47 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
Ok well I went ahead and tried the 32 bit version in any case as the Toshiba BIOS is for a 32 bit system.

DAPHILE is fantastic, so easy to use! An absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I notice that each time I re-start the system, the default boot is Windows. In fact, it keeps bypassing the boot screen unless I force the boot menu.

You will need to use a partition manager/editor to blow away the windows partition completely - you end up with a HD with no partitions at all. Then boot with the Daphile USB drive, connect to the management web-GUI and then you can install Daphile directly to the blank HD. This way you will no longer need the USB drive and Daphile will boot every time.
Old 10th May 2014, 02:29 AM   #409
Banned

Quote:
You could try a freeware boot manager that will load first, set the defasult to Daphile and let it time out (maybe 5 seconds) before it loads the default.

Abs
Old 14th May 2014, 04:28 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
You could try a freeware boot manager that will load first, set the defasult to Daphile and let it time out (maybe 5 seconds) before it loads the default.

Abs
True. In fact if lordearl does not want to remove windows completely, he could just enter the BIOS and go to boot options and specify that the USB drive is 1st in the boot order.

Hide this!Advertise here!