Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi,
I's possible for you to add a roadmap of your development ?

I would not like to make here any promises. I have some features in my mind that I would like to add to Daphile (CD playback without ripping, improvements to metadata tagging, easier installation system, backup/restore functionality, some audio signal processing features, UI improvements, etc... to name some ideas ;-) and I have also considered extending the support to ARM. I'll guess I focus on the later (portability) after the current feature set is on good enough shape.

I'm also open for suggestions and feature proposals.

Hi,
I tried the usb install and use (no HD installation) on a laptop, conected via wi-fi to my home network and access from my ipad... All worked fine...

I'm having problems to configure the access to my media server (Unraid) where I have more than 3TB of loss-less music (most of them in FLAC format).

I had no success mounting a network drive from my nfs share. So I tried with cifs and got connected.

But as expected, although I see the volume appears at the info tab, the system apparently took very long time to read the entire library (the same happens to MPD), so I left the system doing the "sync" overnight...

The problem is that in the morning, the system was completely dis-configured with a blank system name and no net drives...

I'm sure it didn't reboot, because a manual interaction should be done during the boot (to select the usb as boot device).

So, my questions are:

1- Is this a limitation due to the use of a USB version?
2- I there a limit of size for the library?
3- Do I need to wait the system to read the full library on every boot or it stores the data?
4- Does the system automatically update the library files that were included to the media server (unraid)? What do I need to do to keep it in sync?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Regards,

Adriano

Hi,
It´s should be good to add the the possibilty
To copy audio files from ubs.
Good idea but needs a little bit of thinking...
Should it be just dump copying (same directory structure and file names) or more intelligent "import"?
It´s possible to put a shutdown and a reboot bouton
In the main menu ?
Do you mean like "Audio Player", "CD Ripper", "Settings", "Info" and new "Shut Down"? That I could consider.
For curiosity, why you did not use the couple of
Squeezelite + Jivelite instead squeezeplay

Regards
It was already some months ago when I tried the squeezelite and I had some problem(s) that I didn't have with Squeezeplay (if I remember right there were random audible clicks at the beginning of the track when skipping). That was the reason and afterwards I have followed the principal that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". The "control wrapper" that is starting the players is still compatible with squeezelite and it shouldn't be difficult to swap (if there is any good reason).

Hi,
But as expected, although I see the volume appears at the info tab, the system apparently took very long time to read the entire library (the same happens to MPD), so I left the system doing the "sync" overnight...

The problem is that in the morning, the system was completely dis-configured with a blank system name and no net drives...

I'm sure it didn't reboot, because a manual interaction should be done during the boot (to select the usb as boot device).

So, my questions are:

1- Is this a limitation due to the use of a USB version?
2- I there a limit of size for the library?
3- Do I need to wait the system to read the full library on every boot or it stores the data?
4- Does the system automatically update the library files that were included to the media server (unraid)? What do I need to do to keep it in sync?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Regards,

Adriano
Hi,

It's very possible that the problem is related to use of USB version. If you created it with unetbootin Daphile creates during the first boot only 128MB storage layer (casper-rw file) and maybe it is not enough. Did you check the free disk space on DaphileData? It's possible to have larger storage for USB setup by setting the "Space used to preserve files..." in unetbootin. It works for Daphile even it says that "Ubuntu only".

There shouldn't be any library size limit (at least I'm not aware). Large library takes long time to scan and especially from net share over the Wifi.

Daphile should update the library automatically but there is no need for full library scan on every boot (except with read-only Daphile, like run from CDROM). There is some delay in automatic scanning of network drives (if I remember right it is 10mins).

Thanks Kipeta. I´ll check the free space...

Anyway, I´m using a 8GB pendrive...
What size of "preserve file space" do you think is recommended in this case? I´ll only use the pendrive for this purpose...

And... What should be the benefit installing Daphile on a SSD?
Is it possible to do that with a dual boot?

Regards,

Hi,

Good idea but needs a little bit of thinking...
Should it be just dump copying (same directory structure and file names) or more intelligent "import"?

To start a simple dump copying should be Ok, but this simple structure could be used ? (Artist / Audio files)
Files on USB will be copied to a folder USB_IMPORT or something similar created at intall of Daphile like the DaphileData/Music folder (DaphileData/USB_IMPORT)

Do you mean like "Audio Player", "CD Ripper", "Settings", "Info" and new "Shut Down"? That I could consider.

Yes it should be like "Audio Player", "CD RIPPER" etc...

It's possible for you to add driver for Ralink RT3070 Single Chip (I have tested my usb adapter come from my xtreamer ultra and it's not working :cannotbe:)
I want to use this adapter with my new setup or it's possible for you to recommand an wifi N adapter.

Can you tell me if Daphile support TRIM function of SSD.

Best Regards and thanks a lot for your work
Toufik

Last edited:
Thanks Kipeta. I´ll check the free space...

Anyway, I´m using a 8GB pendrive...
What size of "preserve file space" do you think is recommended in this case? I´ll only use the pendrive for this purpose...

And... What should be the benefit installing Daphile on a SSD?
Is it possible to do that with a dual boot?

Regards,
Hi,

I'm not able give good recommendation for the size of "preserve file...". I'll have monitor the disk usage a little bit more and how does it depend on music library size.

If you want to use USB drive I would rather recommend that you install Daphile to an other empty (partitions deleted) USB drive from the Daphile Web UI System Firmware Section. This enable you to update Daphile version to USB drive from the Web UI.

Dual boot is possible but Daphile installation cannot configure such automatically. You can do it by creating the required partition manually and configure the boot loader you are using to "chainload" Daphile from DaphileBoot partition. But if you are not familiar with these things I can't really recommend it.

Hi,

To start a simple dump copying should be Ok, but this simple structure could be used ? (Artist / Audio files)
Files on USB will be copied to a folder USB_IMPORT or something similar created at intall of Daphile like the DaphileData/Music folder (DaphileData/USB_IMPORT)

Yes it should be like "Audio Player", "CD RIPPER" etc...

It's possible for you to add driver for Ralink RT3070 Single Chip (I have tested my usb adapter come from my xtreamer ultra and it's not working :cannotbe:)
I want to use this adapter with my new setup or it's possible for you to recommand an wifi N adapter.

Can you tell me if Daphile support TRIM function of SSD.

Best Regards and thanks a lot for your work
Toufik

Daphile should have support for Ralink RT3070. The driver that comes with the standard kernel is included and also the firmware file. Have you managed to use it with other Linux installations? Are you using the proprietary driver from Ralink? Send me a message through the Daphile web page and we could continue solving by exchanging emails.

Thanks for the TRIM question because I had forgotten to implement it. I'll include it into next release (discard option for ext4 partitions if the are on SSD that supports TRIM).

The new shutdown/restart "menu" option will be included also into next release but USB import is something that I don't promise yet (I don't have clever enough idea for implementation yet ;-).

Hi Kipeta,
I've just downloaded & tested Daphile. I flashed the image on a very old 512MB USB stick and it works great.

My hardware : intel dn2800mt with 4GB RAM & USB3 PCI-e card, Amanero USB into ES9018 DAC, songs on an WD external USB hdd. I found that with my existing Windows setup, the USB3 card cable improve the sound quality.

The installation was super easy, it took about 15 minutes to scan my 320GB hdd. The only problem I had is about the connection to Amanero. But as soon as I checked the DSD option, the interface is connected and music flows. The web interface is nice and very well designed. It plays smoothly from 44 to 192khz, I dont have any DSD file to test yet.

I cannot comment yet on the sound quality compared to my existing Jriver + Jplay setup on the same machine as my I just have the DAC for 2 days and need some time to break in. However, I have some suggestion for you :

• Allow the use of static IP address. As for now I can setup DHCP reservation to make it static, but to have the static IP setting on Daphile's interface is more elegant IMHO. Not everyone understand how to reserve DHCP address.
  • To have the file type, bitrate & sample rate on the song display.
  • To be able to specify which directory/folder on the storage volume to scan. This will shorten the time to scan, especially if the volume is huge and contains other data not only music.
  • The shutdown doesn't work, it says that the system is shut down but the machine is still alive. It's better to have the shutdown button on the home page.
  • HTTP connection from Android mobile device is very slow and perhaps doesn't work for the audio player tab. I've tried with Sony Experia Sola phone, will try again with Samsung Tab 7 & S3 mini & let you know the result.

The only negative point I found is there is no free Squeezebox controller for Android. I love freebies ;) that's why previously I request for MPD.

Last but not least, thanks a lot for your great work.

Last edited:
Continuing my post above:
Shutdown now somehow works. The web interface works in Anroid browser but very slow, it tooks close to 5 minutes for page change.

I would also suggest to load the os image into RAM during boot time like mpdpup does.This is to reduce wear due to extensive read write operation in case of installation on flash media like usb stick and reduce disturbance on usb port which could be beneficial for usb dac users. Other thing would be play from memory which seems to be the current trend on pc music player today, although I doubt the effect on sound quality.

I'll see if I have a spare compact flash card and install Daphile on it. With CF to sata adapter, it would becoma a poor man's SSD drive

I also have question : there's option for cpu clock, does it mean that Daphile can underclock the cpu ?

Last edited:
Problem : I connected Amanero to the USB-3 PCI-e card and Daphile cannot use it. Amanero appears on the Audio setting page (it is detected), but somehow Daphile cannot use it. I tried to connect external USB hard disk on the same port and it's works, means Daphile recognizes the PCI-e card but somehow it detects but cannot output audio to Amanero.

I hope you can fix this USB problem as based on my experience with Windows USB-3 card sounds better than onboard USB ports.

And I confirm that the web interface, especially the Audio page, is very slow on Android device. Once the page is displayed, the reaction is fast (for example to play/stop a song). Tested on Sony Experia and Samsung Tab 7 using stock browser.

Hi,

I'll try answer your three posts below.
... I have some suggestion for you :

• Allow the use of static IP address. As for now I can setup DHCP reservation to make it static, but to have the static IP setting on Daphile's interface is more elegant IMHO. Not everyone understand how to reserve DHCP address.
  • To have the file type, bitrate & sample rate on the song display.
  • To be able to specify which directory/folder on the storage volume to scan. This will shorten the time to scan, especially if the volume is huge and contains other data not only music.
  • The shutdown doesn't work, it says that the system is shut down but the machine is still alive. It's better to have the shutdown button on the home page.
  • HTTP connection from Android mobile device is very slow and perhaps doesn't work for the audio player tab. I've tried with Sony Experia Sola phone, will try again with Samsung Tab 7 & S3 mini & let you know the result.

The only negative point I found is there is no free Squeezebox controller for Android. I love freebies ;) that's why previously I request for MPD.

Last but not least, thanks a lot for your great work.
1. Static IP configuration has been asked couple of times and I have it on my list. But that's not so simple for the Daphile because its aim is to work headless (no console UI with display and keyboard). I give an example that if you make a typing mistake on static configuration it will lead to situation where it is difficult to recover. I don't have yet clever and easy enough solution for this.
2. Related to directory/folder comment. You can configure "Root prefix" for local drives and for the network shares you should be able extend the directory into the "Remote target".
3. Shutdown problem: I'll probably change the kernel command line parameters related to this a little bit for the next version (acpi=force). Let's see if it helps.
4. There is a free Squeezebox control app from Logitech for Android (required registration to mysqueezebox.com if I remember right):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logitech.squeezeboxremote
5. I prefer the controller apps both on IOS and Android much over the web UI and the improvement for the Audio Player Web UI are not current on high priority.

I also have question : there's option for cpu clock, does it mean that Daphile can underclock the cpu ?
If the CPU supports frequency changes by default Daphile will set the frequency to the value that is at least and the nearest to 1GHz. You can change that from the Settings. Daphile does not use dynamic frequency changes based on load because that could cause some audio problems.

Problem : I connected Amanero to the USB-3 PCI-e card and Daphile cannot use it. Amanero appears on the Audio setting page (it is detected), but somehow Daphile cannot use it. I tried to connect external USB hard disk on the same port and it's works, means Daphile recognizes the PCI-e card but somehow it detects but cannot output audio to Amanero.

I hope you can fix this USB problem as based on my experience with Windows USB-3 card sounds better than onboard USB ports.
Did I understand right that the DAC works fine with Daphile if it's connected to USB2 port and there is only problem if it's connected to USB3 port?

Anyway could you send me the output from address:
http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi
send it for both cases USB2 and USB3.

I would also recommend that you send these through the Contact form on Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we could continue with email exchange.

Thanks for feedback!!

Hi,
2. Related to directory/folder comment. You can configure "Root prefix" for local drives and for the network shares you should be able extend the directory into the "Remote target".

OK, so that's the purpose of root prefix. Do you have a sample for the syntax ?

3. Shutdown problem: I'll probably change the kernel command line parameters related to this a little bit for the next version (acpi=force). Let's see if it helps.
4. There is a free Squeezebox control app from Logitech for Android (required registration to mysqueezebox.com if I remember right):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logitech.squeezeboxremote
5. I prefer the controller apps both on IOS and Android much over the web UI and the improvement for the Audio Player Web UI are not current on high priority.

Please ignore that, the shutdown works now & I found a free remote controller for Android. Problem solved.

Did I understand right that the DAC works fine with Daphile if it's connected to USB2 port and there is only problem if it's connected to USB3 port?

Anyway could you send me the output from address:
http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi
send it for both cases USB2 and USB3.

I would also recommend that you send these through the Contact form on Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we could continue with email exchange.

Thanks for feedback!!

Yes, it is either because the DAC is connected to USB3 or because it is connected to USB port on PCI-e card. I'll get the output and sent it back to you.

I'll continue via Daphile contact form.