Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi,
I am running Daphile from usb. In settings I see "Running Daphile from the read-only filesystem. Settings cannot be saved!"
Okay,so I would like to install Daphile onto a formatted hard drive. How to do? I can see the drive in "select target drive" within "system firmware" section, but it won't let me select the particular drive. I can also not save the preferred storage drive. What am I missing?
Thanks

Hi,
I am running Daphile from usb. In settings I see "Running Daphile from the read-only filesystem. Settings cannot be saved!"
Okay,so I would like to install Daphile onto a formatted hard drive. How to do? I can see the drive in "select target drive" within "system firmware" section, but it won't let me select the particular drive. I can also not save the preferred storage drive. What am I missing?
Thanks

Sorry,I'm running Daphile from Disc

Hi,
Thanks

From the instructions on the Daphile site (Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles)
Daphile installation to an other drive is possible via the web interface in the “Settings
> System Firmware” section. Currently the installation is supported only to:
a) an empty disk of at least 2GB without existing partitions (preferred), or
b) disk containing DaphileBoot and DaphileData labeled file systems.
In case a) the boot loader is installed to Master Boot Record (MBR). The case b) can
be used for an existing installation as an update or recovery option. The multiboot
installation is not supported by Daphile but it could be possible if you create the
required two partitions with ext4 Linux file systems and label them as DaphileBoot
and DaphileData. In this case b) the boot loader is installed on the DaphileBoot
partition and you should take care it is bootable somehow.The default size for DaphileBoot partition is 1GB. This enables to keep one old
system image as a backup and also enables software updates and possible future
growth of the system image. The recommended size for DaphileData depends a lot
on your use scenario (1GB should be enough for system needs).

Usually I find it easiest to just delete all partitions, from the target drive using a third party application, then allow Daphile to set up by itself.
You want a drive that is "unallocated" ie not formatted or partitioned. (you appear to be trying to install on a formatted drive, that is the problem.)

Note that all data will be lost from the target drive! (you cannot dual boot, Daphile uses the whole drive)

Then restart Daphile and when you select the drive to install to it will be recognised and useable...:)

Last edited:
Additionally....(edit option timed out)
From memory Daphile sets up the MBR, a small system partition and the remainder of the target drive becomes a data/storage partition you can copy music files to.
Once Daphile is installed and running you can configure access to any additional storage, drives, NAS where you may already have music files.

Hi Kipeta,

Have been using Daphile for over half a year. Just wanna share some of my problems in the current release and pre-release.

For the current release, seems Daphile is having problem with NFS. My player will be stopped after playing one or a few songs in a album. And not able to select a particular song in another album. The scanning of the album got problem and cannot show up all the albums in the NAS. Problems were solved after changing NFS to CIFS.

For the pre-release, appreciated with the new UI and functions :) But disappointed that I found the sound quality is degraded :( Both the details and the purity is not good as before. My PC is dedicated for Hi-Res music player with Intel i5, 4G RAM and 64G SSD hard disk. Just wanna see if any one of you have the same findings in the pre-release version.

Thanks a lot for your effort and hope the sound quality could be improved.

Cheers,
Siuping

Hi Kipeta,

Have been using Daphile for over half a year. Just wanna share some of my problems in the current release and pre-release.

For the current release, seems Daphile is having problem with NFS. My player will be stopped after playing one or a few songs in a album. And not able to select a particular song in another album. The scanning of the album got problem and cannot show up all the albums in the NAS. Problems were solved after changing NFS to CIFS.

For the pre-release, appreciated with the new UI and functions :) But disappointed that I found the sound quality is degraded :( Both the details and the purity is not good as before. My PC is dedicated for Hi-Res music player with Intel i5, 4G RAM and 64G SSD hard disk. Just wanna see if any one of you have the same findings in the pre-release version.

Thanks a lot for your effort and hope the sound quality could be improved.

Cheers,
Siuping
Could yoy test whether you still have the NFS problem with the pre-release version. If yes, please contact me using the form at www.daphile.com and we can continue with email exchange.

Check also the audio quality issue with the latest pre-release (available at: www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6). What kind of audio device are you using? USB DAC? What model? And did you experience the dfference between the latest public version and pre-release?

Could yoy test whether you still have the NFS problem with the pre-release version. If yes, please contact me using the form at Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we can continue with email exchange.

Check also the audio quality issue with the latest pre-release (available at: Index of /tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6). What kind of audio device are you using? USB DAC? What model? And did you experience the dfference between the latest public version and pre-release?

I have tested the latest pre-release dated 11-Sep, it still has the same problem on NFS connection. Maybe I can give u further info via email on this.

For the SQ, though I found it's a bit difference from the previous pre-release (from my memory), there is still quite a distance from the latest public release. E.g. when listening those percussion instrument such as Triangle or Cymbals, the highs are much better in the latest public release.

P.S. My DAC interface is the combo384 amanero USB

Last edited:
Could yoy test whether you still have the NFS problem with the pre-release version. If yes, please contact me using the form at Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we can continue with email exchange.

Check also the audio quality issue with the latest pre-release (available at: Index of /tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6). What kind of audio device are you using? USB DAC? What model? And did you experience the dfference between the latest public version and pre-release?

Hi Kipeta, I found the NFS problem exists in some Synology users and one has solved by setting all users to admin at the Squash option. Haven't tried but I think this is the problem I come up with.

Hi Kipeta, I found the NFS problem exists in some Synology users and one has solved by setting all users to admin at the Squash option. Haven't tried but I think this is the problem I come up with.

It's perhaps better (more safe) to use all_squash to some other user and group, and then take care that there exists read permission to required files for that that user and group.

New version available!

CHANGES on the September 16th 2014 version:
  • Player control application on local UI (optional)
  • "File manager" tool in web interface
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.16.2
  • Power saving improvements (eg. dynamic CPU frequency option)
  • Other minor changes (eg. RAM Disk)
  • Bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

CHANGES on the September 16th 2014 version:

Updated just now.

Now the library has disappeared. Nothing in My Music.

I had it working perfectly with the previous version.

Library is on a cifs share.

Changed nothing other than the update.

Deleted and added the share - no luck

Have triple cheked that the share is on and accessible.

In Settings>Storage I can see the share listed, but there is a red circle with a line thru it to the right of the identification box. The share/password details are correct (and it was working right before I updated to the latest version).

Under Info>Media Server> View Previous Scan Results I can see that the share is not being searched. Only the local drive is being searched.

Happy to provide any more details/logs.

Thanks for a great system which I've been using daily.

Hi Kipdeta,

Updated few hours ago the 64 bits version, no problem with Daphile on a USB stick. I couldn't manage to install the previous 64 bit version (14.08) on the local SATA disk even with a manual partitioning, 32 bits was OK.

I will try again with 14.09

I'm using Daphile on Atom 230 SFF computer connected to an WaveIO card and a Najda DSP via I2S to the WaveIO. Great software and great sound of the combo. :)

A ssh access could be a nice feature to add IMHO.