Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2014, 08:51 AM   #281
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
I tried also the Squeezer and it works, but I cann't open my "musicfolders" (the harddisk). It is showing "loading", but do nothing. How many time need to scan my folders?
Old 13th January 2014, 09:15 AM   #282
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyimo View Post
Thanks!
I tried also the Squeezer and it works, but I cann't open my "musicfolders" (the harddisk). It is showing "loading", but do nothing. How many time need to scan my folders?
Seems like it takes about 30min for 400GB.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:16 AM   #283
diyAudio Member

Hi Kipeta,

A little feedback on my use so far of Daphile:

Under “General” the purpose of the “Media Server” input box and radio buttons is not clear. Does the label “Media Server” apply to LMS which is as the heart of Daphile, or does is apply to the Daphile as a whole? What is the effect of entering an IP address in this input box?

There are some slight inconsistencies of naming in the Daphile UI. Under “AudioPlayer > Music Folders” we have drives, under “Storages” we have drives, but under “System Firmware” we have “set target disk” etc. I would suggest changing this to “set target drive” and use “empty drive ...” and “drive containing ...” in the other text.

Under “CD Ripper”, when does the term “disk” mean a drive, and when does it mean the CD? For clarity, I would suggest changing the label “disk” to “drive” when referring to where the rips will end up, and “disk” to CD when you are referring to actions performed on the CD.

As I speak GB English, I would prefer to see the label “Storage” and not “Storages” on the UI.

The Daphile UI gives no obvious indication if the system is running from a USB stick or has been installed on a hard drive. The amount of “Free Storage” under “Info” is a possible guide. If someone has installed Daphile to a hard drive, but (by error?) leaves a Daphile USB stick connected they wouldn't necessary be aware of this.

Under “System Firmware” when installing to a hard drive there seems to be no check/warning that a previous hard drive installation is about to be over written.

The Daphile website says: “Since Daphile is used and configured completely via the web interface the user is not required to have any Linux skills” But the format of the network drive entries will be a mystery to some people. I am sure it would be helpful if you could find time to add some more examples/explanations to your PDF instructions or websiteabout this. It might avoid the need to respond to info request on the various forums you post on, Of course, in the long run, some kind of help facility in Daphile itself could be very useful.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:44 AM   #284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Seems like it takes about 30min for 400GB.
Thanks! Is it possible to turn off this scan? I mean let it scan for one time than do not scan the next time.
Old 13th January 2014, 06:03 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyimo View Post
Thanks! Is it possible to turn off this scan? I mean let it scan for one time than do not scan the next time.
From what I can tell, Daphile only scans once then updates when you add a new album. I don't have to click the Update button when I add new tracks.
Old 13th January 2014, 06:57 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

I have installed Daphile on internal ssd, on the first partition is Daphile, second partition was automatically mounted with a root prefix DaphileData/Music, for the second external USB HD i sad use partition, rw, share and root prefix is DaphileData/Music1, but LMS don't know nothing about it, and the page in LMS where you can set the path for the library and rescan library is not existing as in the standard LMS installation ???

added - LMS Page "basic setting" is missing.

Last edited by sinski; 13th January 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 14th January 2014, 03:45 AM   #287
Banned

Quote:
BTW, the other day a fellow diy fourmite came over to see Daphile. He brought a small USB DAC which we plugged into my old laptop running Daphile. Daphile immediately recognized his DAC. I connected this 2nd DAC to a 2nd amp and speakers. We had Daphile playing two different tracks on two different systems at the same time. (1 laptop, 2 DACs, 2 amps/speakers) I'm impressed.
I was impressed too.

The question I have relates to using Daphile for widely spaced zones, where they may be up to 15 to 20 metres from the server. What is the "best" method to get the signal that far? Is it using an USB DAC/TOSLINK and sending it via TOSLINK (or SPDIF) over that distance to a DAC that accepts that input, or using a USB DAC and converting to a balanced signal, or is it using a client and sending the signal via TCP/IP, or something else?

Any assistance here is appreciated.

Abs
Old 14th January 2014, 05:15 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
I was impressed too.

The question I have relates to using Daphile for widely spaced zones, where they may be up to 15 to 20 metres from the server. What is the "best" method to get the signal that far? Is it using an USB DAC/TOSLINK and sending it via TOSLINK (or SPDIF) over that distance to a DAC that accepts that input, or using a USB DAC and converting to a balanced signal, or is it using a client and sending the signal via TCP/IP, or something else?

Any assistance here is appreciated.

Abs
I've only been using Daphile for a month. I know nothing about Linux.

I'm only guessing but according to this guy: Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: USB Cable Extension with Ethernet Cables - does it worsen jitter?

you can extend USB by using USB ->Ethernet - Ethernet->USB adapters.

I'm sure there are other ways too.

Cheers, Mack
Old 14th January 2014, 07:26 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From what I can tell, Daphile only scans once then updates when you add a new album. I don't have to click the Update button when I add new tracks.
Thanks. I will try to be patient and let the first scan make ready....
Old 14th January 2014, 02:38 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombyWoof View Post
I used a TP-LINK TL-WN7222N for a bit testing a smartphone as a controller, seemed to work fine.
I switched to one of those tiny usb plugs with a Ralink 5370 chip and it works fine too for remote control purposes. It has less range so there is less of a security risk to my network.

Hide this!Advertise here!