Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

So last night I was playing a song, then tried to switch to another, and Daphile crashed and stopped responding.

After resetting, I couldn't connect Daphile to my network drive. Then it connected, but didn't see any music. When I scanned, it returned with 0 songs. But both Daphile and my samba server thought they were connected.

I messed with it for a bit, then I reinstalled Daphile, fired her up and everything is working again.

It was strange, but all seems fine now

Randy

Hello,
Please ex use me for the dumb question, I'm a total newb..: would it be possible to for a daphile based music pc to connect to my apple Time capsule where my entire iTunes library rests and "read" the music directly from it as a server?
Thanks for any advice!

Kipeta sent me a link to private Daphile version. I'll try it later and I hope it will solve my problem.

Just for the record, which WIFI Usb adapter do you find less problematic?

Thanks,
Tomislav

Tomislav tested the private version that included a work-around for kernel driver regression introduced in 3.15.1 (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78581). The problem is related to Wifi adapters using ath9k_htc driver (eg. TP-Link TL-WN722N). I'll try release new version soon.

Hello,
Please ex use me for the dumb question, I'm a total newb..: would it be possible to for a daphile based music pc to connect to my apple Time capsule where my entire iTunes library rests and "read" the music directly from it as a server?
Thanks for any advice!

See attached clip. More info at: Storage - Daphile Wiki

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-07-03 10:57:37.png
    Screenshot from 2014-07-03 10:57:37.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
New release available!

CHANGES on July 4th 2014:
  • Fix for the previous version web UI problem with iOS browsers (long link names were not truncated properly in Audio Player view).
CHANGES on July 3rd 2014:
  • Work-around fix for "ath9k_htc" kernel driver regression (eg. TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi adapter).
  • Improved current track format info in web UI
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.3
  • Other minor changes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

So last night I was playing a song, then tried to switch to another, and Daphile crashed and stopped responding.

After resetting, I couldn't connect Daphile to my network drive. Then it connected, but didn't see any music. When I scanned, it returned with 0 songs. But both Daphile and my samba server thought they were connected.

I messed with it for a bit, then I reinstalled Daphile, fired her up and everything is working again.

It was strange, but all seems fine now

Randy

Same thing happened to me today, with the additional twist that, after checking a few settings to verify that they were as I remembered them, I hit "save and restart" and the computer hung up after powering up and would not restart Daphile. Eventually, I discovered that it would start Daphile if I unplugged my external drive. (On a different computer, it would hang up and not start Daphile if I had my USB dac plugged in.) I guess if I get it up and running with the right settings, I could just leave it on 24/7, but that seems somewhat profligate with the use of electricity.

By the way, Randy, if you had poked around sufficiently quickly, you may have found, as I did, that there was a rescan going on, which was deleting all of the music from the library. - Pat

Same thing happened to me today, with the additional twist that, after checking a few settings to verify that they were as I remembered them, I hit "save and restart" and the computer hung up after powering up and would not restart Daphile. Eventually, I discovered that it would start Daphile if I unplugged my external drive. (On a different computer, it would hang up and not start Daphile if I had my USB dac plugged in.) I guess if I get it up and running with the right settings, I could just leave it on 24/7, but that seems somewhat profligate with the use of electricity.

By the way, Randy, if you had poked around sufficiently quickly, you may have found, as I did, that there was a rescan going on, which was deleting all of the music from the library. - Pat

No, I don't think it was a rescan. I would manually force a scan, and it would finish the scan in a few seconds because it was not finding any music.

But everything works fine now, just had to reinstall, which is really simple for Daphile so it wasn't a big deal.

BTW, in your case, I'm wondering if your music drive comes up first, if it will keep Daphile from starting up. In my research these last couple weeks, seems like that type of thing can cause problems.

Randy

Network Drive Mapping

I am running Windows 7 Pro and have shared music files (see attached photos). Daphile also shows up and I can copy files to and from it's drive.

Also have a MAC that sees both the shared music files and Daphile. So I feel like the network is working.

Problem is, I cannot figure out the correct way to access the file share from Daphile. I have tried every combination I can think of and still get do not get the green check mark.

Can someone with a similar setup look at the attached photos (Daphile and my network share) and tell me the correct syntax for mapping my share in Daphile?

Attachments

• Daphile Net Photo.JPG
    Daphile Net Photo.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 703
  • Win 7 Mapping.JPG
    Win 7 Mapping.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 673
Mr Kipeta.I am very optimistic about this hifi music system.But I had some problems in the use process.When I open the daphile and screen shows "use the web interface" prompt, murmurs my speakers (even without playing music).I think there is something wrong with my setting of daphile.But I cannot figure it out.Can you help me?
Thanks!

Suggested Hardware

I did finally get Daphile mapped to my FreeNAS drive but never my PC shared drive. Turns out I had to use the IP address in the share name. I suspect this has something to do with how my "Workgroup" is configured.

Next step is to identify what to run this on. I have been looking at Intel NUC devices but they are a bit pricey.

I have scanned all 54 pages of this thread and seen references to Raspberry PI and other devices but it seems that this is only supported on Intel or AMD PC based computers. Is that true or are there others now?

Is there a specification for a hardware setup (headless PC):
Minimum Processor for 64bit version?
Required Memory?
USB 2.0 or 3.0 -- Which is preferred?

Also, saw many references to Orange Squeeze and the like for Android. Is there an app such as this to control Daphile for Iphone/Ipad (maybe I missed that)?

Lastly, I am looking for a USB to SPDIF converter so I can interface this to my existing DAC. It looks like most are using USB DAC. I did see reference to HiFace Two but then no consistency on review - some detractors. Any suggestions here?

Shensen
Daphile runs "headless", you can't control it from the PC it is running on.
But, from an internet browser on another PC, if should try this
a) Windows: You could try addresses http://daphile and http://daphile. (the latter has a dot at the end).
b) OS X and Linux (at least Ubuntu): http://daphile.local

This also works from devices like iPads. I use http://daphile.local from an ipad and it works fine.

dhayes,
I'm pretty sure this still only runs on intel/amd processors. I think an Atom is the cheapest option, but it doesn't take much horsepower so you might also find something used.

There are other SW options for raspberry pi's or BBB's or similar.

Randy

Daphile Windows 7 Share Connection Problem

Hi Randy,

Been trying to solve this problem for a while now but no answers. I posted issue on Windows 7 forum but am unsure it issue is windows or Linux and since I cannot access kernel of daphile to issue command line commands I cannot test. Can you look at the post:
Trouble Accessing Windows Shares From Unix(FreeNAS) and Linux(Daphile) - Windows 7 Help Forums

And let me know if you have any ideas around issues raised regarding networking and attaching windows file shares to Daphile and also why I can only attach NAS by IP address rather than hostname?

You seem pretty knowledgeable on Daphile.

Hi Randy,

Been trying to solve this problem for a while now but no answers. I posted issue on Windows 7 forum but am unsure it issue is windows or Linux and since I cannot access kernel of daphile to issue command line commands I cannot test. Can you look at the post:
Trouble Accessing Windows Shares From Unix(FreeNAS) and Linux(Daphile) - Windows 7 Help Forums

And let me know if you have any ideas around issues raised regarding networking and attaching windows file shares to Daphile and also why I can only attach NAS by IP address rather than hostname?

You seem pretty knowledgeable on Daphile.

Hi, I guess I just replied to you with an email. If not please contact me using the contact form on web page and I'll send some further help by email (not easy to send on this forum).