Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I have the original smsl m8a based on two ES9028Q2M as opposed to the ES9038Q2M. Difficult to tell the difference but I suppose subjectively I prefer the topping.

And the u208 is a big jump on the u8, primarily with the ability to effortlessly support dsd512. I use daphile to oversample all music to dsd512 in real time.

How i can connect with Daphile if the Smartphone saw an Daphile Wifi who is locked.

is the default DAPHILE ?

if the notebook Monitor turns of - how i can see the IP Adress from Daphile.

why isnt it possible to use Daphile like or also as a "normal" Desktop version on the Notebook or computer it self.

how i update the Dahile Distro and progamms - is there a Update Button or have i always to install everthing new.

How i can connect with Daphile if the Smartphone saw an Daphile Wifi who is locked? Is the default DAPHILE ?
If daphile can't connect to a network then it generates a WiFi hotspot, ssid Daphile and password secret1234

if the notebook Monitor turns of - how i can see the IP Adress from Daphile.
Use Android phone app wifi overview to confirm your wifi networks. Then use Android app fing to identify the daphile ip.

why isnt it possible to use Daphile like or also as a "normal" Desktop version on the Notebook or computer it self.
Daphile is a self contained Linux install and not just an app.

how i update the Dahile Distro and progamms - is there a Update Button or have i always to install everthing new
Once operational use a browser to access the daphile settings tab and click on firmware update to access the latest release. Look at the daphile faq for details on how to access the more frequent and useful beta releases.

IMO you can run daphile in KVM virtual machine and PCI-passthrough the host system soundcard to the KVM-running daphile distribution. Never done before, but IMO feasible. Does require deeper linux skills though.

Passing USB devices to virtualbox running daphile should be a bit easier, e.g. VirtualBox 2: How To Pass Through USB Devices To Guests On An Ubuntu 8.10 Host . I guess that could be the easiest path.

I'm in desperate need of a way to also install a desktop environment on the daphile pc. I would like to use it with a salvaged laptop panel to have a full fledged music player. Is there a way to do so?

I'm guessing here that you want a gui to run Daphile totally from the laptop and not have to access it from another device.....

If so then yes that option is built in.
Install daphile then access it from another device , go to settings page and select the option for a local interface/gui.
Reboot and the gui will appear.
It is quite basic in operation and options (so you may need to access daphile occasionally from another device to make setting adjustments) but for normal playback it is fine.

This from Kimmo the developer of Daphile...
"Player control application on local UI (optional)" means that you can have jivelite enabled (disabled by default) on the local console. This enables the real stand-alone operations (excluding the settings management).

Last edited:
IMO you can run daphile in KVM virtual machine and PCI-passthrough the host system soundcard to the KVM-running daphile distribution. Never done before, but IMO feasible. Does require deeper linux skills though.

Passing USB devices to virtualbox running daphile should be a bit easier, e.g. VirtualBox 2: How To Pass Through USB Devices To Guests On An Ubuntu 8.10 Host . I guess that could be the easiest path.

I would rather avoid a solution like that, ofc it is probably the most flexible and with a USB DAC it should be really easy to setup but i'm not a fan of it. Anyway if i had to i would probably go for W10 + VBox if it is possible.

I'm guessing here that you want a gui to run Daphile totally from the laptop and not have to access it from another device.....

If so then yes that option is built in.
Install daphile then access it from another device , go to settings page and select the option for a local interface/gui.
Reboot and the gui will appear.
It is quite basic in operation and options (so you may need to access daphile occasionally from another device to make setting adjustments) but for normal playback it is fine.

This from Kimmo the developer of Daphile...

This is interesting. I'm expecting to have locally almost a fully web-page-like interface right? Since i will probably buy a chinese NUC i7 8250u it would be a waste to use it only with Daphile, so is it possible to install other packets like torrent client, maybe plex or dlna if not present ecc?

Again: Daphile is an embedded gentoo-based installation with read-only filesystem (squashfs). You cannot add packages.

If you want to run it along a regular distribution at the same time, run it in a virtual machine (KVM, VB, ...) and make sure it can see the raw audio device you want to use (hence the passthrough I talked about).

Or just add some audio playback software to your existing desktop setup.

As phofman says Daphile is a Gentoo minimalist system running LMS =Logitech Media Server. Jivelite is the UI for LMS. You cannot add packages.

phofman's advice is good...a NUC i7 should be more than able to run daphile in a VM.

However, if you've got that sort of computing power why not just run a Linux distro and install LMS ?
For more granular control and SQ you could use the NUC i7 as the server and a Raspberry Pi as the player. MooDe and PiCore Player or Snakeoil all have options for LMS player only usage.
Then add your favourite DAC either I2S or usb...

piCorePlayer
moodeaudio.org
Snakeoil OS

Last edited:
I have a dedicated Daphile music server feeding into my M-Dac and wondered if the processor speed would have any have effect on the sound quality.
My choice is a Wyse DXoD, AMD G-T48e, 1.4ghz dual core, 2gb flash, 4gb ram or a Tranquil pc, i3-2100T, 2.5ghz, 4gb ram.
Does it matter which I use for best sound quality.
Thanks.
thyristor44