Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

(...)

The problem is, that i don't want to have computer/notebook connected to my hifi (high end ;) ) system.
I tried four notebooks. The power supplies in three of them (Asus B50a, MSI Wind and nearly new Samsung 5 series) caused some hum/noise when i connected USB cable to my Waveio/Buffalo. Only the ps of Lenovo T400 didn't caused any problems and is absolutely silent. Maybe i need some kind of USB galvanic separator, or the i2s connection between waveio/BII should be galvanically separated.

Running on battery is silent on all of them.

(...)

Hello,

I am not unsing Daphile at the moment, just reading...

But concerning your problem withe the noise, I had a similar one. The solution for me looked like this:

Power the USB-reciever (WaveIO) with a seperate PSU and not via USB.

USB (1.0 & 2.0) has four wires specified, two of them transfer the (differential) signal and the other two ones carry +5V and GND to power the
devices. Since your WaveIO is not powered by the USB bus (see above) you do not need those power lines and you may build yourself a USB cable without the +5V an GND lines. E.g. take an old cable and cut those two wires for testing.

For the pinout and the wires see USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This cable won't be according to the usb standard but the data will be transfered via the two remaining lines.

This solution works for me since some years, no more noise occured.

With best regards

Floric

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments on inconsistent wording and other English language related... I'll try to fix them soon.

There is currently no warning for overwriting the previous installation because there isn't actually any harm for that.

And I understand that documentation needs improvement especially for making the Storage configurations. I hope I'll find motivation for that also (one person has volunteered to write manual but I'm not sure about its progress).

You asked earlier about CD ripping with VM installation. I have tried it only once and it worked then using VMPlayer. I would recommend VM usage to anything but quick testing.

Surely, if you've copied audio files to a hard disk install of daphile via it's samba server and had configured daphile as you wanted, then you'd want some kind of warning if you were about to overwrite then by a re-installation of daphile?

Another small point about the daphile web UI. Under "storages" the daphile boot partition sda1 shows with a "share" tickbox alongside it. You cannot select it, nor should you need to, but it would be nice for that box to be greyed out.

I made some changes to my network to simplify the testing of daphile. I've yet to try VMplayer instead of Virtualbox for CD ripping and really need to get more USB memory sticks to run daphile on a real machine. I've run it from a CD to get an idea of the audio sq, but that's too restrictive. I hope to offer more feedback soon.

I compared Daphile with the newest Ubuntu server 13.1 with RT kernel + squeezelite, optimized as good as i could. On the same hardware with the same DAC chain Daphile always wins. :D

As Daphile is not really open, it's hard to say exactly what optimizations have been made, nor if they could easily be applied to a normal Linux install. Unless Kipeta is willing to explain in some detail, we are left guessing what they might be.

I think you didn't tried because I tried cutting the ground and it doesn't work.....

I think you cutted the wrong wire...

But to be honest:

I tried and it works for years right now. With the ground connected I still had some noise.

USB (at least up to 2.0) does not need the ground for the data transmission, the signal is transfered as symmetric voltage on the D+ and D- wires. A connection of the ground of the two devices is not necessary.

The only purpose of GND and Vbus is the supply of the connected device. A device that is self-powered does not need those connections.

There might be implementations of receivers that need the GND on the receiver side but as far as I understand the standard those implementations are inaccurate.

Best regards

Floric

Edit: Citation of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

USB is a serial bus, using four shielded wires for the USB 2.0 variant: two for power (VBUS and GND), and two for differential data signals (labelled as D+ and D- in pinouts). Non-Return-to-Zero Inverted (NRZI) encoding scheme is used for transferring data, with a sync field to synchronise the host and receiver clocks. D+ and D- signals are transmitted on a twisted pair, providing half-duplex data transfers for USB 2.0.

Last edited:
Short version: Daphile can play different music through two DACs simultaneously, maybe more.

I recently bought a new DAC and wanted to A/B it with my old DAC.

I used a smart phone and a tablet to control Daphile. I selected the new DAC on the phone's player and selected the old DAC on the tablet's player.

I selected the same track on both players and hit "Play".

By using the selector knob on my amp I could switch in between the new and old DACs to compare them.

Maybe everybody knows this already.

Cheers, Mack

Hi Kipeta,i'm Luca,i need your help, my daphile is running in usb boot ,work very well and i connect an Amanero usb Combo 384 interface with a wolfson 8741 dac, it's recognized by daphile and it's able to play file pcm or dsd ,i play mp3,wav at 44,1 khz but
if i try to play any 192 khz flac i havent got any sound.I missing something to set ???
Any help is appreciated.Sorry for my bad english.Thanks

Hi Kipeta,i'm Luca,i need your help, my daphile is running in usb boot ,work very well and i connect an Amanero usb Combo 384 interface with a wolfson 8741 dac, it's recognized by daphile and it's able to play file pcm or dsd ,i play mp3,wav at 44,1 khz but
if i try to play any 192 khz flac i havent got any sound.I missing something to set ???

I can't think of any reason why they don't work. I use constantly 192kHz FLACs by myself.

One thing that you could try is the "Clear library and rescan evertyhing" from the Info page.

Please contact me again via the contact form on www.daphile.com if the problem persists.

Surely, if you've copied audio files to a hard disk install of daphile via it's samba server and had configured daphile as you wanted, then you'd want some kind of warning if you were about to overwrite then by a re-installation of daphile?
Re-installation does not delete anything from the current system (all music and settings are retained). It does not even touch the settings. It only (re-)installs the system files (kernel, initramfs, rootfs). The next version will have an option to change and overwrite the existing settings.
Another small point about the daphile web UI. Under "storages" the daphile boot partition sda1 shows with a "share" tickbox alongside it. You cannot select it, nor should you need to, but it would be nice for that box to be greyed out.
It's greyed. What browser you are using? I noticed that the color difference in Firefox is very minimal.

Does your setup play flacs at 44.1? does your setup play 192 with other usb "sources"?

I'm using a wm8741 myself (twistedpear opus) and the problem with this chip is that it does not recognize the sampling rate itself (at least for i2s signals), you need to set it. If it's not set by your usb-receiver, you have to set it manually each time it changes.

That's the reason why i use upsampling with this dac now.

Regards

Floric

I can't think of any reason why they don't work. I use constantly 192kHz FLACs by myself.

One thing that you could try is the "Clear library and rescan evertyhing" from the Info page.

Please contact me again via the contact form on Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles if the problem persists.
Thank you for the advise,i suppose it's a wrong setting on dac board,i try tomorrow.Many thanks;););)

Does your setup play flacs at 44.1? does your setup play 192 with other usb "sources"?

I'm using a wm8741 myself (twistedpear opus) and the problem with this chip is that it does not recognize the sampling rate itself (at least for i2s signals), you need to set it. If it's not set by your usb-receiver, you have to set it manually each time it changes.

That's the reason why i use upsampling with this dac now.

Regards

Floric
Thank you too,as i reply to Kipeta,i suppose it's a wrong setting of dac board.I try tomorrow for new setting.With the pc sound card, flac files play on 192 khz.Thanks for your help;););)

But there is something else. There is a "Community Squeeze" project using Wandboard. Soon the dac&audio board for it will be ready and now one can use it with many USB Dacs.

I think that porting Daphile (only player and maybe server and without supporting all hardware on mainboard) on Wandboard (Dual or Quad) could be very good decision, because Wandboard is IMHO the most promising Squeeze project and in the future many Wandboard users would like to have the best possible sound quality.

Anyone who doesn't think that the Community Squeeze software on the Wandboard is providing the "best possible sound quality" is more than welcome to contribute to the project! ;)

Re-installation does not delete anything from the current system (all music and settings are retained). It does not even touch the settings. It only (re-)installs the system files (kernel, initramfs, rootfs). The next version will have an option to change and overwrite the existing settings.

It's greyed. What browser you are using? I noticed that the color difference in Firefox is very minimal.

Hi Kipeta,

Once I had installed Daphile to a USB stick I could clearly see how a re-install did not overwrite files.

I was using Firefox and you are right about minimal colour differences. The Daphile UI looks much better in chromium.

I tried to access the Daphile web UI via a kindle 4 which runs an experimental browser, but that doesn't work.

New Daphile version is available now!

Main changes:
  • Static IP configuration
  • Option to use Squeezelite player
  • Support for uncompressed FLAC in CD ripping
  • Native HD AIFF playback fixed - "Clear library and rescan everything" required after upgrade
  • Improved support for MMC/SD card readers
  • Player "Power On Resume" feature adaptation
  • Installation improvements
Read more about changes from web page.

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Kipeta,
I would like to take a second to express my appreciation for Daphile. I had been off work for extended leave and have since returned. Last night I came home exhausted and just sat down and listened to some music. This was a change of pace from my tinkering and building stage. I must say the time pleasurably drifted by as I listened to music on my Daphile server while reading about the musicians on the squeeezepad application. This truly is a great piece of software because it goes beyond an experimental gadget to a truly friendly and usable product.

Bill