ZOTAC D2550-ITX WiFi Supreme Bluray question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ZOTAC D2550-ITX WiFi Supreme Bluray question

Hiya, Noob question.

I want to use one of these motherboards as a media PC.

Zotac D2550ITXS B U Atom D2550 Geforce GT 610 Wifi Mini ITX W 90W A C Power | eBay

It has built in wifi and says it is capable of bluray playback so I was planning on connecting a bluray drive as well. Im just not sure on one thing, specs say

"SATA 2x SATA II 3.0Gb/s ports
Tip: 1 port is multiplexed with mSATA"

and
"mSATA Note: mSATA disables SATA port 1 and is not possible with the WiFi card connected."

Does this mean I cant run wifi and a bluray drive at the same time?

Sorry if thats a really stupid question
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can.

The mSATA drive shares the same miniPCIe bus on which the WiFi card also resides, meaning that you can either use the WiFi card OR an mSATA drive, in spite of the fact that the board has separate connectors.

If you don't install an mSATA drive, you will be able to use the WiFi AND the two SATA ports (one for an HDD or SSD and the second one for the BluRay player).

If you install an mSATA drive, you will still be able to connect the player to the second SATA port, but you'll lose the WiFi connectivity.
Old 30th July 2013, 04:52 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

However, it is now cheaper to buy a standalone Blu-ray player than a Blu-ray drive. And, speaking from experience, a Blu-ray player just works; there's no messing about with buggy player software with limited features, Windows audio complexities, configuring a remote, and having to install AnyDVD because the video card wasn't HDCP compliant. Not that a Blu-ray drive isn't useful in a computer... I can make a temporary backup of a rented Blu-ray if I didn't have time to watch all the extras.

Hide this!Advertise here!