Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fidelizer PC Optimiser For Audio Applications

From their website:

Quote:
Fidelizer will instantly turn your Windows Vista/7 computer to audiophile workstation for sophisticated audiophile player like J River, XXHighEnd, HQPlayer, foobar, etc. It involves no permanent modifications so system will remain safe and sound after restart so even system with normal Windows installation can experience better sound quality when needed. Backgrounds behind the optimizations is far advanced for someone daring to make free software so grab it while it lasts.
Fidelizer | Windows X's Live

The author of this is likely someone who does app development for Wxx and knows about before/after Registry changes. Tweaks for audio, W7, W8 are also on this site.

Using a tiny program like regshot.exe one can see the state of the Registry before and after and compare and get a list of changes.

Fidelizer makes up to 600 entries in Extremist mode.

Reviewing the sound aspect, it works as advertised. Sound improves, less hash on cymbals and upper ranges, cleaner all around.

However be warned, it you are not a power Wxx user this may not be for you.

Fidelizer will make Registry entry changes, then sit in the background and upon restart undo those changes.

In theory.

In practice you have a good chance of removing some functionality, on a permanent basis even after restart. I lost networking, the internet and browsers would not start.

Make a System Restore Point before installing this app, and if you really wish to dig around, make snapshots of your Registry to see what is being changed.

If you have experience digging around in your Registry then this app is for you, if you don't then I can only recommend it for a stand alone music server that has NO OTHER uses because there is the chance to 'brick' your OS.

Those risks being stated, it does exactly what it says. It strips your Windows OS down to an audio server OS, with audible improvement in the sound quality and makes a PC into an excellent front end for top end music servers and music players.

===============

Ed.: This is a similar approach that cPlayer takes. It also unhooks most unused services, processes and functions. Sound improves, but you may lock up your system and need to restart.

Last edited by miragem3i; 15th July 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
McLanz is offline McLanz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Fidelizer is a wonderful free jitter reduzer for Windows

Hi, it wonders me why nobody speaks about it

this little tool is a real winner! It brought my system a hugh steps forward in terms of better jitter performance!

I can't measure jitter but I think I can relyable hear it as meanwhile I worked intensly 8 years with the DIYparadise Monica DAC to get the best of a
Windows PC + USB DAC. (Which was hard work after all, from the start a PC source is behind a good CDP)

Fidelizer offers much better transparency and timing. The subjective feeling of background noise in music gets immediatly lower. My favorite is the Extermist modus!
This sensitive setting is a quiete notecible step from the default "audiophile" setting where a normal work (Email, Internet) can still be done in parallel. In extermist set up the network is blocked.

So fellow: If your using windows (WXP, 7 or whatever) and you think you've got it all then use this additional tool in your PC and be prepared for a large improvement

Of course some small numbers of other very good tools or players exist already but I think this Fidelizer in Extremist mode is quiete consequent as it shuts down huge areas of disturbing processes in Windows. Secondly harmonisates them to reduce Jitter effects when playing via USB DACs.

And the best it's easy and for free! and after a new reboot your system is back to normal again and can be used again for all other purposes.

BTW: My Linux Ubuntu has no chance OK I never optimised it much. But many dudes said that you can gain so much from optimisations as Linux is anyway far better and ideal to computer music. But again its not as quiete, detailed and musical involving as windows + fidelizer (I use Sonata music server as player)

Regards
I love high sensitive Fullrange drivers, currently listen with tube amps, NOS DAC, the good old vinyl. I'm optimizing my mains line situation...Located in South/West of Germany. **Love Arts and of course most of all my Family**

Last edited by McLanz; 22nd January 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 24th January 2014, 03:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input, worth a try...
Regards

Phil
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Wungun is online now Wungun  Canada
diyAudio Member

When I run the new 4.0 in Extremist mode on my 2012 R2 machine, playback is stuttery, skipping and very poor. Seems to hinder my system a lot more than improve it.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Gobble is offline Gobble  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLanz View Post
BTW: My Linux Ubuntu has no chance OK I never optimised it much. But many dudes said that you can gain so much from optimisations as Linux is anyway far better and ideal to computer music. But again its not as quiete, detailed and musical involving as windows + fidelizer (I use Sonata music server as player)

Regards
Was it a stock linux distro you tested or a minimalist one running jackd? Without customization you wont get great sound.

--G0bble
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
Without customization you wont get great sound.
Really? Why is that?
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm not an expert but I concluded jitter is quite hard to distinguish even with the best 'theoretical' Hi Fi.
from what I've read, the most important part, is the stage right before the DAC chip itself, usually a buffer where the data is re-compiled before getting injected into DAC. Everything before, like usb transport type / usb cables / pc spec will not affect final 'quality', unless the DAC chip is bad to start with, like many laptops with bad grounding.

Lets be honest, unless you have your setup exactly like the producers, you will never hear as they heard it, not to mention everyones hearing is different, Why bother . it's like squinting your eyes at alow res picture in order to find more detail and damn, does doing that damage your sanity..

I believe CDP will always beat PC because there is more 'Synergy' with reading / processing / playing.
Old 3rd February 2014, 02:26 PM   #8
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giro1991 View Post
I believe CDP will always beat PC because there is more 'Synergy' with reading / processing / playing.
Actually, the CDP operates very similarly to the PC chain.

The CDP reads disc data into a buffer at rate corresponding to the disc rotational speed. Reading the data from the buffer is clocked by precise clock. The player maintains the buffer optimally filled by controlling the rotation speed - standard feedback control loop in the analog world.

The PC provides data into RAM at CPU speed. Reading data from the RAM into the DAC of the soundcard is clocked by precise clock of the soundcard. The chain maintains the RAM buffer optimally filled by the card waking up the writing thread via IRQs, telling the CPU to provide new data well on time - standard feedback control loop in the digital world.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Gobble is offline Gobble  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Was it a stock linux distro you tested or a minimalist one running jackd? Without customization you wont get great sound.

--G0bble
For the same reason that windows needs customization and special software like jriver or fidelizer. One needs to minimize the number of processes competing for cpu cycles and the bus.

Simple isnt it? ;-)

G0bble

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:07 PM   #10
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One needs to minimize the number of processes competing for cpu cycles and the bus.
Thats a rather common urban legend.

Hide this!Advertise here!