All Media Servers and Players - PC Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Installing another distro instead of learning how to fix a problem in one of the major desktop distributions is a waste of time indeed.
One month per OS is a waste of time, too. 12 months, 12 distros, the same issues on different boxes. The selection bias in Linux users is blinding. I ask you this: Do you know of ANYONE who spent A YEAR attempting to get an OS to function and failed? A MONTH? Do you know of ANYONE who spent 200 to 500 hours to simply get any distro to do what W95 did 20 years ago? That's the point you should take away. I gave Linux more chance than anyone you have ever heard of. I recommend no one ever use Linux ever. It isn't 'free' because you waste so much time on just keeping it operating at a 1995 level of technology and that time means it costs you money and that means it isn't 'free'. If one must pay someone to install it or spend many hours then it loses any advantage. Those of you who like it, simply enjoy wasting your time.

One month per OS is a waste of time, too. 12 months, 12 distros, the same issues on different boxes. The selection bias in Linux users is blinding. I ask you this: Do you know of ANYONE who spent A YEAR attempting to get an OS to function and failed? A MONTH? Do you know of ANYONE who spent 200 to 500 hours to simply get any distro to do what W95 did 20 years ago? That's the point you should take away. I gave Linux more chance than anyone you have ever heard of. I recommend no one ever use Linux ever. It isn't 'free' because you waste so much time on just keeping it operating at a 1995 level of technology and that time means it costs you money and that means it isn't 'free'. If one must pay someone to install it or spend many hours then it loses any advantage. Those of you who like it, simply enjoy wasting your time.

You're funny.

If you want to be tied to an OS that demands a keyboard, mouse, and monitor at all times (really good for a headless music server), that requires regular reboots to keep functioning, that can't be installed on a thumb drive and taken anywhere to boot off any PC, that can't boot off a network drive, that is easily infested with a virus, that can't be customised to your hearts content - even at the code level, that is not open-source, that is code-bloated to a minimum size equal to several gigabytes, that can't be installed in minutes without a boot-fest, and, oh hell, simply can't do all the neat stuff you can do with Linux, please please please keep using Windoze and leave all the Linux users to enjoy the experience without your bloody whining!

Sorry to hear that. Linux never fail me.

Didiet

I have tried album player for years . If I didn't know MP3toys allready I would think it is nice but it still can not be compared in my opinion. Spent an evening of trying various alternatives again. I used to be a big fan of Foobar. Tried J.river again this evening. I pretty much hate it. It gives me a feeling of working with a database instead of being involved with my music collection. Same for all of the other database based programs like I-tunes, Mediamonkey, etc etc. Tried all of them. Again, I'm about the only very big fan of MP3toys. No other program in the whole entire world up to know gives me the feeling of being totally involved with my music collection. O.k. it lacks functions. If you are a big fan of creating playlist it falls short but if you want to feeling of playing cd's with the convenience of a computer, really try it out. Give it some time to get around and you all will love it. at least I do, very much so. It is not supported anymore and might be old in computer terms but it still is the very best to me. Programmers stand up, learn from it and come with something better. At least I hope you will because MP3toys still ain't perfect but lightyears ahead of any competition so far.

What strikes me most, after all those years of working with various audio players is that everyone seams to stick to the same kind of interface and just are just adding functions over the years instead of thinking it all over again. Really, 90% of all the music players ara very old fashioned programs. I tunes, J.river, Windows media player, etc etc are stone age programs, based on last century database and spreadsheet programs. Every update is just patch work witch make it only blurred in it's functionality. It's 2013 for god sake, time to start from the bottom all over again. If for instance if a company like Apple really wants to be the software inventor they pretend to be , please get rid of I-tunes today. Please throw it in the garbage bin, don't ever look back and suprise us with something really new. I-tunes is already 12 years old and is basically still the same. That's stone age in computer terms. Same for all of the lookalikes. Time to start all over again. PC audio is not the future, it's the present so act like it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.