All Media Servers and Players - PC Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All Media Servers and Players

This is an attempt to make a comprehensive short list of all media players, media servers and music players that are software based and installed to a Windows, Mac or Linux PC. All prices in USD.

ap-linux
AudioPhile Linux | Quality audio on Linux

Album Player from Russia
-Windows Based, 32 and 64 bits players available
-Freeware
-Audio player Album Player 2.97
Audio player Album Player 2.97

cMP (cics Memory Player)
cPlay with CMP cMP²
- Windows based player
- Freeware
cMP² | Main / HomePage

Cowon Jet Audio
-Windows based media player
-Freeware, $29 to upgrade
-MP3
JetAudio

daphile
Daphile – Digital Music Convinience for Audiophiles

dbpoweramp
- Windows based CD Ripper and Audio Converter
- 21 day free trial, $38 to buy
- FLAC, mp3, m4a (Apple Lossless, AAC for iTunes & iPod), Windows Media Audio (wma), Wave and AIFF
dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA

Fidelizer
-Windows only optimisation software for audio
-Makes extreme Registry entry changes to computer that MAY NOT reverse upon reboot
-Use with extreme caution
-Does markedly improve sound. Best used with dedicated, standalone music server
Fidelizer | Windows X's Live

Foobar 2000
-Linux, Mac and Windows Freeware
foobar2000

HQ Player from Signalist
-Windows, Mac and Linux based media player
-$170 USD
Signalyst

iTunes
https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

JPlay
-A Windows music server
-RAM only operation similar to cPlay
-99 Euros
Buy now | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

J River Jukebox
-A Windows music server
-Basic version is freeware
-Advanced features in $49.98 version
https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/

Lilith Audio Player
-Windows based audia player
-Freeware
-= Project9k =-

MP3Toys MP3Toys - More fun with your music collection

mpdpup
-A Linux only music server based upon the Puppy OS
-Freeware
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

Media Monkey
-Windows and Mac based media player
-Shareware version is free
-MM Gold version is $25
MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter

MPlayer -The Movie Player
Entering MPlayer homepage

Pureplayer
-Mac iOS only
-Pure Player is a simple but powerful music player
-More than 20 audio formats supported. Including OPUS, FLAC, APE, TTA, SHN, WV, MPC, OGG, WMA, SPEEX...
Pure Player - Dancing Bottle

Pure Player (Different than above)
-Windows Based, ported from open source
-Similar design goals as cPlay
-Freeware
http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html

Raspify
-Linux only
RaspyFi - Pi never sounded so good!

Screen Monkey
-Windows based
-Freeware
-More for presentations than media service, but works like a charm with audio or video.
Screen Monkey - Show and Presentation Control Software

Smplayer
-Windows port of the Linux mplayer
SMPlayer - Free Media Player for Windows and Linux

Song Bird
-Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux
-Formerly an open source web browser
-Based on Mozilla/Firefox, uses plugins to manage features
-Freeware
Songbird

Squeezelite
-Linux only
-Is a small headless squeezebox emulator for Linux
-Freeware
-Built in pcm (wav/aiff) decode plus flac, mp3, ogg and aac via libFLAC, libmad/libmpg123, libvorbisfile, libfaad
https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/

Stealth Audio Player
-Freeware
Minimalist Audio Player

Voyage mpd
-Linux
-Full feature music player
-Freeware
Voyage MPD | Voyage Linux

VLC Video Lan
-Plays almost all music and video formats
-Freeware
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

Winamp
-Shareware. Free for basic version, upgrade is $19.95 for Pro version.
Winamp Media Player - MP3, Video, and Music Player - Winamp

XMPlay
- Windows based player and Audio Converter
- Can send data directly to encoder and bypass your soundcard
- Freeware
XMPlay Support

XXHighEnd
-Windows 7 and Windows 8 72 Euros
XXHighEnd - Index
XXHighEnd Model 0.9z-9b (with new SQ parameter in Q5)

Zoomplayer
- Windows based player
- Free, Pro and Max versions.
Inmatrix.com - Zoom Player Download

Last edited:
XXHighend has a price - 72Euros I think

Any reason not to add JPlay?
99Euros, has its own minimal miniplayer much like Cplay, also operates as background music service which works with any GUI player that can output ASIO. Contentious in some quaerters but it works very well.

Also

uLilith - GUI, free, works well.

Hi,

I use these 2 more obscure players but based on Windows.

Pure Player
-Windows Based, Free, latest download here
http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html

Album Player from Russia, Free
-Windows Based, 32 and 64 bits players available, latest download here
Audio player Album Player 2.97

Both of them sounded very good on my system set up. The latter is more convenient to use. Give them a try. Actually I prefer them over the commercial media player, JRivers, version 17.

I like that Russian Album Player, although when paired with ASIO4All I cannot seem to get one of my Chinese ODAC's to output 192 audio. The display LED for 192khz locks on, but no sound and the ASIO displays "Beyond Logic".

When I pair this with a reclocker upstream all works well. Alone it does not.

Not much to expect of $25, but still...

The choice of application is pretty much affected by how you'll plan to use the system.
If you want to use the system like a normal computer (with monitor, mouse, keyboard) so there are may to choose from (listed on the 1st post).

But if you want to have a headless system (like I do), there are far less options to choose from :
On windows : Foobar (+ http control or upnp component), J.river, Winamp, Mediamonkey, Itunes
linux : mpdpup, voyage mpd, AP-linux, Raspify, daphile.

Please note that among those esoteric & obscure player (xxx highend, albumplayer, CISC, ulilith, etc), only Jplay that can be remotely controlled as headless system as it can be integrated with at least foobar & J.river.

What about AP-Linux ?

Didiet

I would prefer mpdpup which IMHO is far more optimized for audio than AP-Linux. AP-Linux received many critics from linux gurus, which is not the case with mpdpup.

Personally, I'm moving from Intel based to ARM based system, cheaper, smaller & cooler.

salam dari balikpapan

Last edited:
If I could connect an NTFS or FAT drive to a linux distro and have this happen: "You appear to have connected a NTFS media device. Load drivers?" [Yes] If then I could use, copy, move, rename, play and all other functions, that would be fine. But this isn't the case with Linux.

How many linux distros have you tried? Desktop-oriented distributions always include fuse NTFS and kernel FAT/VFAT drivers. I have never had problems with windows formatted drive in linux in many years. And if the fuse ntfs driver is missing e.g. in plain netinstall debian (definitely not the distro for you), it is only one apt-get command away.

How many linux distros have you tried? Desktop-oriented distributions always include fuse NTFS and kernel FAT/VFAT drivers. I have never had problems with windows formatted drive in linux in many years.

12 different ones. PCLinuxOS. Puppy. Mint. Ubuntu. Kubuntu. CentOS. Sabayon. Fedora. Arch. Slackware. Knoppix. Mandriva. DSL. I DO have problems. Lost data, a required update bricks an install several times, driver issues that were fixed with Wxx in 1998, cannot use NTFS data, and so on. Never again. You guys lost me, forever. End of discussion. My mind is closed on the matter. Waste someone else's time. I have wasted enough of my precious life on Linux. Never again.

12 different ones. PCLinuxOS. Puppy. Mint. Ubuntu. Kubuntu. CentOS. Sabayon. Fedora. Arch. Slackware. Knoppix. Mandriva. DSL. I DO have problems. Lost data, a required update bricks an install several times, driver issues that were fixed with Wxx in 1998, cannot use NTFS data, and so on. Never again. You guys lost me, forever. End of discussion. My mind is closed on the matter. Waste someone else's time. I have wasted enough of my precious life on Linux. Never again.

Installing another distro instead of learning how to fix a problem in one of the major desktop distributions is a waste of time indeed. I settled on ubuntu/debian many years ago and step by step learned the principles, the best practices, etc. I played with other distributions just for curiosity, not out of necessity when hitting a bug, suboptimal setup, or inconvenience.

But this bit of advice based on my personal experience is meant for others reading this thread. I have absolutely no intention to convince you into using something else than what you are happy with. And I cannot imagine anyone who could have the feeling of having lost you in this regard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.