All Media Servers and Players - PC Software - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post
What about AP-Linux ?
If I could connect an NTFS or FAT drive to a linux distro and have this happen: "You appear to have connected a NTFS media device. Load drivers?" [Yes] If then I could use, copy, move, rename, play and all other functions, that would be fine. But this isn't the case with Linux.
Old 3rd August 2013, 06:17 PM   #12
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragem3i View Post
If I could connect an NTFS or FAT drive to a linux distro and have this happen: "You appear to have connected a NTFS media device. Load drivers?" [Yes] If then I could use, copy, move, rename, play and all other functions, that would be fine. But this isn't the case with Linux.
How many linux distros have you tried? Desktop-oriented distributions always include fuse NTFS and kernel FAT/VFAT drivers. I have never had problems with windows formatted drive in linux in many years. And if the fuse ntfs driver is missing e.g. in plain netinstall debian (definitely not the distro for you), it is only one apt-get command away.
Old 3rd August 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Anybody using BubbleUPNP?

jan
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Anybody using BubbleUPNP?

jan
Use it almost every day. Best Android uPNP controller.
Old 6th August 2013, 09:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
I would prefer mpdpup which IMHO is far more optimized for audio than AP-Linux. AP-Linux received many critics from linux gurus, which is not the case with mpdpup.

Personally, I'm moving from Intel based to ARM based system, cheaper, smaller & cooler.

salam dari balikpapan
Any link info about ap-linux critics ?
Arm based? Ras-PI?

Salam dari Cimahi

Didiet
Old 10th August 2013, 01:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
How many linux distros have you tried? Desktop-oriented distributions always include fuse NTFS and kernel FAT/VFAT drivers. I have never had problems with windows formatted drive in linux in many years.
12 different ones. PCLinuxOS. Puppy. Mint. Ubuntu. Kubuntu. CentOS. Sabayon. Fedora. Arch. Slackware. Knoppix. Mandriva. DSL. I DO have problems. Lost data, a required update bricks an install several times, driver issues that were fixed with Wxx in 1998, cannot use NTFS data, and so on. Never again. You guys lost me, forever. End of discussion. My mind is closed on the matter. Waste someone else's time. I have wasted enough of my precious life on Linux. Never again.
Old 10th August 2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

XBMC is good freeware.
it supports kinds of OS, have enough functions
-control over HTTP or UPNP,
-supports wasapi,
-10 feet UI, and more...
Old 11th August 2013, 07:19 AM   #18
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragem3i View Post
12 different ones. PCLinuxOS. Puppy. Mint. Ubuntu. Kubuntu. CentOS. Sabayon. Fedora. Arch. Slackware. Knoppix. Mandriva. DSL. I DO have problems. Lost data, a required update bricks an install several times, driver issues that were fixed with Wxx in 1998, cannot use NTFS data, and so on. Never again. You guys lost me, forever. End of discussion. My mind is closed on the matter. Waste someone else's time. I have wasted enough of my precious life on Linux. Never again.
Installing another distro instead of learning how to fix a problem in one of the major desktop distributions is a waste of time indeed. I settled on ubuntu/debian many years ago and step by step learned the principles, the best practices, etc. I played with other distributions just for curiosity, not out of necessity when hitting a bug, suboptimal setup, or inconvenience.

But this bit of advice based on my personal experience is meant for others reading this thread. I have absolutely no intention to convince you into using something else than what you are happy with. And I cannot imagine anyone who could have the feeling of having lost you in this regard.
Old 11th August 2013, 09:53 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
Use it almost every day. Best Android uPNP controller.
Is there any way that it saves a an external library? My experience is that anytime you connect it again, it takes ages to re-read the external library (which has not changed in the mean time).

jan
Old 12th August 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post
Any link info about ap-linux critics ?
Arm based? Ras-PI?

Salam dari Cimahi

Didiet
It's somewhere over computeraudiophile.com forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!