Laptop as music server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a old laptop running on windows Vista which I would like to convert into a music server. I have a emotive USB DAC which I intend to use as the outboard DAC. It is presently being tried out as the music server using foobar. However I was thinking upgrading it. I have some questions which I hope some of you can help me answer.

1) Should I perform a recovery and hence wipeout the computers? A lot of old software in there, so it takes 5 mins to boot up. Will a computer that is too full affect the sound quality
2) How do I implement a remote control (play+skip etc}
3) Or should I just buy a new cheap laptop, apparently USB 3 plays better.

I am thinking of doing this.
1) Perform full system recovery on the computer (is this really necessary)
2) Install J-media.

Thanking all in advance

Hay,

1) I think a clean wipe is ALWAYS a good idea. Might be worth the trouble so you don't have to redo things later once you get it running well?

2) You can get some generic remotes that should control just about anything you're playing back with. You might want to check on the FooBar site if something like this will work: Newegg.ca - Rosewill RHRC-11002 Windows 7 Certified MCE IR Remote Controller/Windows 8 MCE + Small USB Dongle Type, with Netflix CD

3) If your USB DAC is just USB 2 I don't think you'll notice any difference. You might actually find some odd compatibility issues with older devices on USB 3

No clue what J-Media is!

KM

Did some checking o the net. Mpdpup seems interesting. Couldn't quite figure it out. Is there a mpdpup wiki

Oon

Configure mpdpup is lot faster than installing & optimizing Windows, even for linux noob. It's not that difficult, just follow their forum. The author is very active in answering questions.

There was a plan to write down a manual, but I dont know the progress.

Why not just ditch the Vista and install Linux? There are some nice music players available on Linux nowadays. Amarok went through a bad patch when it was refactored (to scratch an itch felt by the team I believe) but it is very solid and usable now. I am typing this on a Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu so I am at least following my own advice.

Largely depends how in-depth you want to go and how detailed the rest of the audio chain is.
Without getting anal about it, a decent quiet (electrically and physically) machine with decent memory is easy enough to set up, ideal if it has 2 USB mainboard hubs - External drive for music files on one, DAC on the other... Machine interference is the biggest issue to deal with irrespective of OS, even down to quality of power supply, no platform change can get rid of that...
Have used XP and Win 7 (Asio/Wasapi) on Foobar/Darkone setups reliably, still do.... Clean out all the crap, ideally test it side by side with another more modern (usually quieter) machine, let your ears guide you...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.